Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

mintex pads

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2002, 02:04 PM
cheap car driver
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone running mintex 1144 pads had any issues with pad noise? i'm not bothered by squeaks, more the kinda droaning noise i get when the pads are hot and being used at 50+mph. No problems with braking performance, but the noise is annoying to say the very least.
Old 26 November 2002, 02:07 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm also running 1144's and not had a problem with noises as you state. I've done well over a thousand miles (not long fitted ) on them, and the only problem I have is that god damn squeal!!
Old 26 November 2002, 07:46 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
could be caused by them not bedding in properly, check the edge of the pad (part against the disc) should have a "charcoal" effect.
mail me for any advice
alyn - as performance
Old 27 November 2002, 10:43 AM
cheap car driver
Scooby Newbie

stockcar

cheers for the reply. I don't have access to my email at the moment unfortunately.

i'm pretty sure the pads have had opportunity to bed in - they've been in place for 3000 miles (at least), have been made darn hot quite regularly, and asides from the damn droaning noise they work perfectly.

the noise is most easily generated on a long sustained slow-down (sp?) where the pedal pressure isn't too great. it doesn't come immediately, but sets itself up after a short period - i assume after the pads have warmed up to a certain level. the noise only exists in the speed range of roughly 45 - 65 mph.

i should perhaps point out that the pads aren't fitted to a scooby, but to a slightly (hmm) less powerful car, running single pot sliding front calipers.

I suspect the problem is that when the pads get to a certain temperature the pads increase their coefficient of friction, and "aeroplane" (leading edge digs in, then releases, trailing edge hits..) due to insufficient piston pressure to keep the pads stable. However I might be talking complete rot...

any ideas appreciated, as the noise chaffs my ***!

Cheers.
Old 27 November 2002, 09:03 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
had this with a customers car and it came down to bedding procedure - where basically because he'd been easy on them he'd glazed the pad surface - did you check the colour of friction material closest the disc (should show charcoal effect of light gray against disc gradually darkening towards backing plate)
alyn - as performance
Old 03 December 2002, 09:52 PM
JonJH
Scooby Regular

I assume you don't have drilled/grooved disks? I have 1144s and get a droning noise at similar braking speeds/conditions - but this is caused by the drilled/grooved disks.

Jon
Old 03 December 2002, 09:59 PM
DamonJB
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Hi,

Have had the same problem with my Legacy GT TT
Droans on long braking sometimes - not always
They squeal quite a bit also - also off and on

The quality of the pads was pants!
The first set delaminated from the backing plate (rears) within a day or so of use! (later warrantied).
The second set were not trimmed to fit the std caliper properly and still rub / squeal like a stuck pig under light braking!

Mintex sugested that some cars do! For the money they don't seem too good and i will consider others next time. Stopping is good though.

They also suggested chamfer leading edge etc....no different!

Damon