Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Fitting new wheels/tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2002, 10:27 AM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse my stupidity for the following

I've arranged to get some 2nd hand alloys with tyres from a friend - they've only covered about 2000 miles and are supposed to be in excellent condition.

The question is, do I need to get them rebalanced when fitting to my car? They are 17" wheels and I currently have 16".

Also, these have been sitting around for probably 18-24 months - will this have affected the tyres in any way (ie the rubber hardening).

As I said before, sorry for the elementary school questions, but I've not bought a different set of alloys before for any car I've owned, therefore ain't had experience of this!

Hugh
Old 03 November 2002, 02:28 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Not many outlets do 'on-car' wheel balancing, so I'd fit them as they are and see if there's any vibrations before forking out.

Tyre ageing ? Tyres do have a shelf life, but pay attention to the sidewalls - if obviously cracked / dried out then I'd play safe and not use. Other than that, just give them a thorough look over for obvious signs of damage.
Old 03 November 2002, 04:08 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Well, they're on. Got them rebalanced at Kwik-Fit They seemed fine tbh, charged me less than a fiver a wheel to check, rebalance and fit. One of the tyres had a nail in it which they checked and removed - no puncture thankfully. My old set also had a screw in one of em! This was also unpunctured. Quite lucky I suppose.

I'm hopefully getting some new front brakes delivered this week (fingers crossed) from Godspeed. Will try to have a geometry check at the same time. Does anyone know the exact geometry settings for the impreza? I heard that Prodrive have a recommended setup - could someone elighten me as to what it is. This way I can provide exact details to whoever does the work.

Thanks,

Hugh

PS, the car feels alot more 'solid' driving now. Moved from 16" to 17".