Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Squeeeeeeeeeaalllll

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2002, 08:52 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am getting terrible brake squeal from the brakes on my MY 98 5 door. I've had it in the dealers who stripped the calipers down and did a clean up job on them. This solved the problem for a week or so but now its back. What to do next????
Old 29 October 2002, 10:01 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Question

Have you put copper grease on the back of the pads? This should help prevent it.
Old 29 October 2002, 10:14 PM
Rab
Scooby Regular

LOTS
Old 30 October 2002, 12:25 AM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Ive had the same problem on my MY00. I've reported brake squealing on the last 5 services now, and I still have the problem. Front and rears are throughily cleaned at every service, but the squeal comes back in a day or two. Had the rear disks changed (still OE)which has helped but even then, still the occcasional squeal from the rear. Now looking to upgrade the front disks and pads to something other then OE in the hope of eliminating it completely. I mean, its dead embarrassing pulling off the driveway each day, squealing going down the road!
Old 31 October 2002, 03:16 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem that happen when I had rolled forward onto the handbrake, after driving away the rear handbrake shoes/mechanism would squeak like mad and wouldn't stop until you had rolled backwards onto the handbrake. I recently did the rear disks and made sure all the handbrake parts were well copper slipped and that the adjustment at the back wheels was a bit on the slack side and the handbrake end adjustment was also a little slack so it takes 5 clicks to come on properly (bites after 4). This has cured the squeak however I roll onto the handbrake (uphill or downhill) and I have done ~500 blissfull, silent miles now (and I can use the handbrake now as it was putting me off using it before).
Old 01 November 2002, 01:41 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Ever tried gently pulling on the handbrake while the car is moving? I find that helps sometimes. A couple of enthusiastic stops from 70mph sometimes helps too.