Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Suspension Clonk on 98MY Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2002, 11:38 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but....
Having had my turbo for 2 years,(70k on clock), I've had to have the airbag replaced. Ever since, I've not been happy!
I have had a clonk sound from the front left for two months. This sounds like a loose part, been to dealer, they found right inner CV was busted - replaced, still a clonk on front left...

Doesn;t get worse at speed, in fact it seems noisier at low speeds -20-30mph over potholed roads its terrible. Not much wheel wobble (even at 80+) so I'm completely at a loss!

Anyone any ideas ? (Same sort of sound at rear, but its always done that - sounds like the new sti shock problem, but car too old for that....)

TIA - Mark
Old 27 October 2002, 02:58 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

check the spring are located in the strut mine was clonking and tracked it down to offside spring after weeks under the car checking everything
Old 29 October 2002, 01:03 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Mine's just started doing the same thing. (MY96, but the same milage)

I am replacing the front dampers at the weekend (with a bit of luck...) due to a leaky right hand damper so I'll let you know if I find anything funny. It's the LHS that knocks on occasion. Right now, I'm thinking the ARB drop link bushes are knackered, as it looks like the springs are on the car correctly.
Old 29 October 2002, 03:07 PM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

I had the same knock on my 91 Legacy and it was the drop link to the ARB. Replaced with Whiteline kit and all well.
Old 29 October 2002, 09:19 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

dnb, glad (?!) you're having the same sort of trouble - I'd be very interested in your results this weekend....

Sorry to be a bit thick - which is the drop link bush ?
I used to (10+ yrs ago) rally Minis, but Mac Strut is all new to me

Cheers, Mark
Old 30 October 2002, 01:00 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Mark, if you crawl under the car, there should be a bar running behind the wishbones across the car (the ARB) It curls up at the ends, connecting to a nasty rubbery thing, which in turn connects to the wishbone. (All from sieve ...err I mean memory) The nasty rubbery things are the arb droplinks. I'll try to get some photos, as they make it much clearer.

I think you will find it cheaper to replace the ARB droplinks rather than just the bushes (and it is supposed to be an improvement to have them made from metal anyway)

The weather for the weekend doesn't look good, so I may have to postpone. It will get done though!
Old 30 October 2002, 01:20 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

My new dampers are now sat in a box at home. I'll put them on at the earliest opportunity.
Old 30 October 2002, 09:09 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I managed to find a diagram on powerflex's web site - I've put it at www.wildsworld.co.uk/ftp (suspension diag1.bmp)...

I am correct in thinking that the bushes are item 12 - FRONT ANTI ROLL BAR END LINK ?

I'll have a crawl under when it's daylight sometime, probably Saturday - I can take the car to my Father's garage - he has a pit.

Thanks again for the advice (and patience)..

Mark
Old 30 October 2002, 11:06 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

no problem with the time & patience. I've still got a lot of learning to do about these cars as well... I hope to get something done this week involving pictures & new dampers. I'm off to bed now, so I'll look at the link tomorrow, but it sounds like the right sort of lines...

[Edited by dnb - 10/30/2002 11:22:01 PM]