Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake upgrade - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 10:43 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice, please guys'n'gals. I've got an MY00 UK Turbo, and I'd like it to stop better than it does currently. It has stock brakes now (original Subaru 16" rims), the car has no performance mods and is on standard suspension. I'm looking for good 'fast road' performance, not really interested in track days at this stage.

Interesting options look to be two from Scoobysport - either Group-N+ package or the 305mm KAD 6-pot kit. Clear different options, and a ~300% price difference.

4 qns...
1/How much additional benefit is to be had by changing from OEM 4-pot calipers to alternative 4-pots?
2/How much additional benefit is to be had by changing from 4-pot to 6-pot calipers?
3/Can anyone recommend any particular "big" (i.e. non pad/disc only) brake package?
4/Can I use larger discs without changing wheels?

Thanks in advance...
Ben
Old 26 October 2002, 08:31 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
if you're only using for road use then most of the things you've looked at will be overkill.
we would normally recomend a hi-quality disc & pad upgrade on your std 4 pot caliper!! much better value for money, better pedal modulation and feel!! (something like ds2500 / pagid "blues")
mail or phone for more specific advice 0191-4103770

alyn - as performance

[Edited by stockcar - 10/26/2002 8:31:58 AM]
Old 26 October 2002, 09:55 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

4 qns...
1/How much additional benefit is to be had by changing from OEM 4-pot calipers to alternative 4-pots?
If you changed just the calipers on their own, there would not be a huge amount of difference, the benefits come from changing to a completely upgraded "package" like an AP kit.

2/How much additional benefit is to be had by changing from 4-pot to 6-pot calipers?
If you're not going on track, none.

3/Can anyone recommend any particular "big" (i.e. non pad/disc only) brake package?
Yep, go for a genuine AP Racing kit, (we keep them in stock) they are unquestionably the market leaders which all other kits aspire to.
4/Can I use larger discs without changing wheels
I think there are a couple of kits (discs and caliper spacers) which will squeeze in there?

Mike.
Scooby Mania
Old 26 October 2002, 12:03 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Fatman,

I'll give you the first "UNBIASED" view so far !

Had the same problem as you a two and a half years ago. Like you I don't do track days but regularly do a spirited Sunday morning blast(it is a spare car) and was finding the 2 pot brakes fading all over the place on twisty B roads. I thought about std 4 pot option and disc/pads but came to the conclusion that it was the cast iron calipers that were retaining the heat so ultimately fade too soon for what I was doing..

Suppose you could improve the stopping power by increasing the diam of the discs but this is going to mean a wheel change. Just changing the disc for the same diam in my opinion, isn't going to give a big step change in performance.

Don't forget to change to SS hoses. The difference they give to pedal feel is really good.

Steve
Old 26 October 2002, 04:14 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Ben, agree with Mike T. Stockcar, read the question, mate

I've wasted a LOT of money on brake upgrades and here's my (unbiased!) advice.

For fast road use, get the Pagid grooved Gp-N discs with Pagid RS421 pads. Nice combo. See the thread below "Brake discs and pad basics" where a place in Monmouth is doing these for under £300. That is an absolute bargain for quality gear.

If these are not good enough or you fancy tracking the car, go straight for the very best AP 6-pot kit and 17in wheels. Big money though, and overkill for road use. You really need to upgrade the suspension if you're going to use these things in anger.

While you're at it, braided hoses and a flush with good fluid is a few quid extra well spent.

Enjoy

Richard.
Old 26 October 2002, 05:24 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, folks. Partial and impartial advice is always useful. Looks like I'll be going for Group-N+ option. Makes sense, and saves some folding for the new ScoobySport backbox Cheers...
Old 26 October 2002, 07:26 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
hoppy, read the question, answered it (without bias!!!) end of story - whats the problem???
just to be picky (if thats what you like), grpN discs can NOT be grooved, we sell a high quality plain disc for this application.

alyn - as performance
Old 26 October 2002, 08:34 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
stockcar, if you'd read the question you'd be offering some advice on the Pagid Gp-N PLUS kit mentioned. And you forgot your phone number on your last post

Best regards,

Richard.

PS Offer more constructive and specific advice instead of "call me and I'll flog your something" style posts and I'll stop being picky. Okay? Cheers
Old 27 October 2002, 11:15 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

contact darren on chairman@flatfour555.fsnet.co.uk he does a superb front and rear set up that out brakes most others, i'm having fitted next saturday