Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

2001 WRX - Changing all 4 tyres after 20k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2002, 11:12 AM
simonrichardson
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi,

my car is a contract hire with lombard vehicle management.

they are refusing to change all 4 tyres at the same time.

car has done 20,800 miles, and has 2-3 mm on the front's and 4-5mm on the back. so its due for new tyres (I want the same fitted as are currently on it, B'stone Potenza - RE011's

this is my second impreza in 4 years. I've NEVER ever had tyres changed in pairs.

I am really not happy about them saying they'll only change a pair of front's.

This is going to surely affect, handling, safety, ride, noise etc etc.

What can I say to Lombard to convince them that they are wrong ?

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, and neither have previous contract hire companies and companies I've had scoobys through before this one.
Cheers

Simon
Old 11 October 2002, 11:50 AM
simonrichardson
Scooby Newbie

Lombard have very kindly agreed that it would be sensible to change all 4 tyres, which naturally I'm pleased about.

If you ever run into problems with Lombard I think a very nice guy you'll be able to talk to is John Calley, 0870 010 5571 - he was VERY helpful and seemed to be only interested in the bigger picture of keeping a customer happy.

A happy ending for everyone with smiles all round :-)
Old 11 October 2002, 08:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have found an empty car park, and made them all illegal, that way they couldn't refuse!
Old 10 November 2002, 11:07 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Another "interesting" topic this one. After three cars over 5/6 years myself. I've always managed to replace all 4 at once (so to speak). But unlucky for me, tracking out at front and inside edge of front tyres gone. Now the rears have 4/5 mm left, so not too keen to change all four! So I've spoken at length to two different dealers and both admitted that "transmission wind up" was not really a problem, as long as there was not a major difference (IE. fronts new and rears bald). The only "real" issue, was potentially different grip rates front and back. But in reality,except on a track, or driving 101% this was also inlikely to be a "real" problem. As car going in a couple of months, this is another reason not to change all 4 at once. Just want some decent fronts to see me through the next 2/3 months. If it had been summer time, I'd just has swapped em front to back and left it like that. I'm sure some will disagree.

Enjoy.....

[Edited by Mike Owen - 10/11/2002 11:08:26 PM]