Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

which bits of calliper do u actually need 2 paint &/or avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2002, 09:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right i've got sum paint off the local generous scooby owners & i've blagged sum wire brush bits 4 da drill from work & i'm whipping round the mucky subaru 4 pots in preparation of painting
So i note it seems more kinda rusty at the rear of calliper & the front is pretty shiny on the 1 i've mullered with the wire brush so while i no not 2 paint sides of inside bit of the calliper as pads etc need room 2 move but just wondered wot u chaps might recommend painting & avoiding?
Cheers
Si
Old 02 October 2002, 10:39 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

mask off any rubber bits and the bleed nipple - you don't want to paint that shut - I also removed the pads and securing pins as I didn't want to paint them in to the calliper - they'd be a nightmare to remove!!!! I didn't paint the insides at all but did everything else on the outside I could get too.

Hope that helps!
Cheers
Neil
Old 02 October 2002, 07:04 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers m8y, the callipers have yet 2b fitted 2 car & are already in butt naked form as chap i got em of whos guna fit em took off all the clips bolts pads etc etc.
So i've currently given em a good buzzing over with da drill wire brush thing & r pretty shiny so just wanted 2 check how much u actually need 2 totally muller the surface down to the silver stuff 2 ensure a good finish?
Oh well most dust & rust has been removed so guna paint em, outsides only & probably guna focus more on front bits, tomorrow me finks just fort i'd inquire 1st off
Si
Old 03 October 2002, 09:57 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Make sure you don't get paint and dust inside the workings of the calipers! (stick a little bit of masking tape over the pipe connector)
Old 03 October 2002, 12:34 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

yeah woz guna tape the bits that woodn't like paint although i haven't covered the holes while i've been buzzin off the brake dust, hopefully not a problem! ?
Si
Old 03 October 2002, 06:29 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

kuz actually the 4 silver type things, er pots?, r pretty manky on the inside anyway, not sure it this bit of actually kums into contact with brake fluid at all as they seem pretty sealed off but wot do i no (bugger all if u aint noticed already ) So is this likely 2 cause any trubble?
Si