Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake dust on back wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2002, 12:20 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I'm a little concerned about the apparent lack of brake dust on the rear wheels. The fronts build up a layer of black brake dust just as I would expect, but I find myself never really having to clean the rear wheels with the others, and when I do, I can almost put what little is on them, down to the dust from the roads around here, and normal road type muck.

Is there anything wrong with this picture? Are there adjustments which can be made to the brake bias on a standard MY00 UK turbo? Is it likely that it would ever have been changed? It may just be a lack of experience on my part, but my 205 which had discs all round, seemed to be producing dust at a lesser, but none the less more significant rate at the back, than the Scoob seems to be doing.
Old 27 September 2002, 03:35 AM
Huffer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Well, I'm kinda new to this one, but after reading a few posts about braking and stuff, it seems that the "intelligent" system in Scoobs means that if you have a fully loaded car, the braking will be even over the front and back.

If it's just you in the car normally, then all the weight will be at the front of the car, meaning that the braking power has to start there first? That's probably why the front brakes do more "work" than the rear ones, as the load isn't evenly distributed over the mass of the car.

You could try loading some equivalent weight in the boot (same as your body weight) and see if that produces a more even brake wear.

Still, if the car is meeting safety standards, and brakes well, then I guess you'd only have to replace the front pads?
Old 27 September 2002, 09:40 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

The rears on mine never really build up more than a thin layer of dust. I'm pretty certain it is the norm.

Am heading up to TSL tomorrow to have the GroupN+ kit fitted at the front. Will have them checked and report back if anything is faulty.

Not expecting there to be a probs!!
Old 27 September 2002, 01:08 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember your rear brakes are there just to keep you straight under braking conditions,they in no way perform to the levels of the fronts as the weight will all shift forwards under braking.
Hence your rear pads will outlast your fronts around 3 times.

Mine look as good as new on my MY01 and i've just replaced the front pads at 15K.
(PS no brake dust either on my rears)

Zippy
Old 28 September 2002, 12:25 AM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thankyou very much all.