Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Best Value 4 Pot Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2002, 12:17 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2pots are poor and the steering wheel wobbles like mad after lots of 80-40mph braking (b-road styley roads) which is truly cr4p. Can anyone recommend the best value 4-pot kits? I would look at Godspeed#s kits but I can't find his webstite address anywhere ! There's some OEM 4-pot kits available on the classified for £390...are the OEMs decent? Which is better OEMs or Godpseed?

Appreciate any help,
Cheers
Alex
Old 15 September 2002, 02:41 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

The OEM 4 pots would give you a wider choice of upgrades at a later date(disk/pad).
Godspeeds you would be limited!(Are you thinking of the 308mm kit?)

If your going to upgrade to either of these you will need 16" wheels minimum!!!!

You'll be lucky to find anyone who has tried both. As your finding it's one route or the other.

Iain.
Old 15 September 2002, 04:15 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Ian at Godspeed is able to supply the original 4 pots if you want them, http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk he could of course supplt upgraded disc and pads while he's at it, I've got one of his set-ups, and I'm well pleased with it for the road, however if you're gonna venture on track I would recommend a bigger discs size.
Ron.
Old 16 September 2002, 09:30 AM
spence7
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies guys, aye I have 16" ers already Dyney yeh I was thinking the cheapest ! 308mm kit from Godspeed is £550 but I think that's the price for non-OEM 4-pot calipers. I aint sure what size the OEM 4-pot discs are, but by the sounds of it from you say Dyney I could change disc diameter later if needed, but with the Godspeed calipers it'd be 308mm and that's it?

Ron cheers for the addy, sounds like you're happy with them. HAve you ever been able to compare against OEM 4-pots? I mean I know for the road either kits would be fine, but I intend on doing some (very infrequent) track days...!

ATM there's £140 difference between the two sets so I'm swaying to OEMS..!

Spence
Old 16 September 2002, 10:10 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
The main difference between OEM and Godspeed is the disks - OEM are 297mm single piece where the Godspeed are 308mm 2 piece with alloy bells. Not sure of the material OE calipers are made of but Godspeed are steel and take a bigger pad than OE.

Its all down to affordability at the end of the day. The godspeed is a better setup that OE 4pots, but the OE 4pots are much better than your current setup! Theres also HiSpec to consider - see the 'I've got rid of my 2pots' thread in this forum.

Justin
Old 16 September 2002, 04:56 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't have any experience of the 308 kit on track. Anyone comment?

I have the 335mm kit and am very impressed. I have been on track in a Scoob with this kit fitted and it was awesome!!
I started out with 2 pots, upgraded to OEM 4 pots then fitted the 335mm kit from Godspeed.

The Hi-spec kit in the thread mentioned above is over £1100 and fits 17" wheels. Though I think they do a similar kit to the one Godspeed offer.

There are many kits for differing pockets. I have spoken to many people about different kits and for me the Godspeed 335mm kit is the right balance.
I don't do many track days so AP's are out of the question.

There are loads of new kits out there (e.g.. TSL/Hi-specs or Scoobysport/KAD's)and at a more reasonable price that AP or Brembo's.
It comes down to how much you have to spend and the performance you need!!

Spence,
If you intend to stay with the 16" wheels the biggest disk Godspeed do to fit the OEM calliper with 16"s is the std size 294mm disk. Not sure, but I think Ian can do a disk and bell that size too!!
With the 308mm kit you get a bigger disk to fit under 16"s. If your going to go for 17"s in the future, OEM + a future upgrade would suit track use better.
Bigger is always better

All I my Opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no connection to any brake manufacturers and do not claim to be an expert in the field

Iain.
Old 16 September 2002, 09:21 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Alex,
I have got the original four pots (294mm), with a set of Ian's seperate discs and bells, these are straight swaps for the standard discs, he can also make them thicker (to aid cooling) if you wish, this is what I would do if I were doing the job again, but for fast raod there is nothing wrong with what I've got, bear in mind that I 'had' Brembo's, and you'll realise that they must be pretty good, not as good as the Brembo's of course, but pretty damn good.
I'm running Mintex 1144's, but other people swear by others so, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Ron.
Old 18 September 2002, 12:23 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Basically spot on. I think if I had a little more cash I'd opt for the Godspeed 335mm jobbies. But for the moment I think the best compromise for me whilst seriously considering my financial situation, would be the OEM 4-pots, and the 294mm discs and bells from godspeed. Sounds like an excellent in-between.

Thanks for the advice people.

Ah hopefully the joys of a non-wobbly steering wheel soon ! hurrah!