Pulling to either side intermittantly

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2002, 07:51 PM
Noble1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi

Anyone any ideas on the this, only been driving my 98 Turbo for around 1 week but noticed it seems to be unstable especially when braking - it will intermittantly pull to either side when braking softly its fine if I brake hard. The car also seems to follow the camber of the road a bit too much, i can feel it pulling on the wheel. Tyre pressures are all the recommended Subaru pressure.

Could it be the Tyres? I have Pirelli P Zeros on the rear and Pirelli <something> on the front.

Thanks
Old 09 September 2002, 08:00 PM
Julian
Scooby Regular

How much tread is left? If it's getting low (3.5 mm or less) then, going on past experience with various different brands and models of tyre it's time to change them. All my sets have exhibited this type of behaviour on some stretches of road when it's getting time to replace them. Whilst you're at it get the tracking checked too.

Just spotted you have different models front and rear, which is also probably not a good idea.

Julian.

[Edited by Julian - 9/9/2002 8:02:51 PM]

[Edited by Julian - 9/9/2002 8:03:11 PM]
Old 09 September 2002, 08:54 PM
Noble1
Scooby Newbie

Hi Julian

I will get the wheels balanced, although having a Subaru service last week you would think they should be OK!, The tyres are fairly new, although I agree that it is not a good idea with the two different tyres models, think i will get a full new set.

thanks
Old 09 September 2002, 10:46 PM
Julian
Scooby Regular

Ballancing is not the same as tracking. The first, simply ballances each tyre/valve/wheel so the combination will lead to more uniform rotation of each wheel and so less/no vibration. Tracking adjusts the way the wheels sit on the ground in relationship to the car and to each other. I'm no great expert a explaining this type of thing, so it's probably worth doing a serach here on tracking - but be warned there are many threads about this. ;-) You may want to ask where's a good place near you that can deal with this properly. I don't think many dealer do this type of job themselves anyway and use third parties when you ask - at a special rate, of course!

Not wishing to scare you, but have you checked to see if the inside edges are wearing evenly, especially on the fronts. This has cuaght some people out quite badly to the point of tyre failure when the outside edges looked fine.
Old 10 September 2002, 01:02 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Mines exactly the same mate. UK97 model. Changed the tyres approx. 2000 miles ago and adjusted the tracking (was 0.6 degrees out I was told). Improved it slightly for a short period but now Subaru have told me one of the calipers may either be applying itself earlier than the other or there may be differences in the pressure that they are being applied to the discs. Sounds like a load of rubbish to be honest. May agree if it was pulling to the same side all of the time!!!

Am upgrading to 4 pots this month with Godspeed discs. If this cures it I will assume Subaru's solution may have been partly correct. At least your not alone!!
Old 11 September 2002, 06:16 PM
Noble1
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your reply's guys, its appreciated.
I will get the tracking re-checked, I am sort of glad iam not the only one around with this problem...

Just to answer the previous question, the tyres all look as if they are worn evenly. Think I will try and fire this one back to the Subaru dealer. They fully serviced the car before I picked it up and did not pick this up.

thanks