Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Another thumbs up for Godspeed!

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2002, 12:22 PM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently bought the 294mm x 28mm discs from Ian. He supplied Mintex 1144's and a set of Goodrich hoses, together with the spacers required to widen the calipers. My main intended purpose for the upgrade was to take the car onto the Nurburgring without the need to replace the discs every 15 laps or so!!!

Well, I did 350 miles on them prior to going to the circuit to bed them in and heat cycle the discs a little. Went to the Ring yesterday and did 9 laps.....first 2 gentle then progressively harder. They never felt anything less than well up to the job. Normal discs would start to show some vibration (warping) after only 5-6 laps. Pedal was firmed up too with the hoses, which is reasurring as you come down the hill where Niki Lauder met with the barrier in the mid 70's!!!

I'll keep you posted as to how they hold up on subsequent visits.

One thing I'll say from my experience of various discs and pads is the following (Ian, I'm sure you're reading...perhaps you can comment).....don't necessarily assume that going to an uprated (hotter) pad is right for you. Unless you are getting brake fade on the circuit or your favourite country lane then stick with the coldest pad you can....it will bite much better from cold and will put far less heat into the disc - extending disc life considerably. It can be quite unsafe to put hot pads into cars for road applications (see Mintex's web site and they specifically state that the 1155 should not be used on the road)....when they are cold you can really find not much under your right foot in an emergency!

In summary, if you want to run a race pad on track days, uprate your discs to the alu-bell type that Ian supplies and take a spare set of (pre-bedded in) pads with you to swap when you get there. For better road performance go for a larger disc and stick to colder pads.

James
Old 30 September 2002, 09:40 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Update for the above....

Visited the Ring again yesterday, completed 9.5 laps all with a passenger. After initial couple of laps to get things warm and check out the grip & conditions I started to use the brakes harder and harder. Had a few nice little scraps with some cars that were a similar pace to me, which meant pushing things slightly harder than normal. At no point did the brakes give anything but excellent performance.....not fade, progressive and needed virtually no warming up.

My major concern is disc life. Inspection at the end of the day showed no signs of cracking or anything untoward. On the drive home they felt fine, no noise* and no vibration. Normal discs would have had huge cracks in them by now (21 laps of the Ring in total) and the car would have been undrivable. Also pad wear was less than expected.....they seem about half worn.

* The brakes do make more noise generally than std items because they are grooved, but this is normal and at an acceptable level.

Thanks Ian, you've sorted me out!

James
Old 30 September 2002, 12:05 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Excellent!

I'm taking my car equiped with 335mm discs and 4-pots around Croft on Saturday. I'll report back as to what they are like!

Steve
Old 30 September 2002, 01:35 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Nice report

James, how many track miles and how many road miles have you done to make the pads half-worn? Have you used the same set of pads througout? How do you rate the 1144's? (say compared to other pads you've used?)

Thanks

Justin
Old 30 September 2002, 02:02 PM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Justin,

The Nurburgring is 21km or approx 13 miles long, so the 21 laps I've done so far with the brakes equates to about 275 miles of track time. I put the brakes on about a month ago and did about 1000 miles on the road in that time. I don't get to drive many country lanes, :-( so I'm not very hard on the brakes on the road. Judging by the wear so far I reckon the 1144's are good for at least 600 miles of track work. I'll keep this BB posted as and when I do more track time.....maybe later this week! :-) You will get better pad life with plain discs....the grooves help performance, but scrape the pad clean each pass.

As regards other pads, I've tried Ferrodo 2500 and Pagid Blue. I found these ok on the track, but both put far more heat into the discs compared to std items and as stated above, they very quickly shagged in std design discs (1 piece castings). Also they really don't bite from cold....this can be quite dangerous in traffic!

I would recommend the 1144's from Godspeed.....he charges 85 quid a set which is less than I was paying for Ferrodo's or Pagids. They bite fine from cold and don't seem to fade.

Bare in mind that different tracks put quite different loads on the brakes. The Ring has several high speed sections where the brakes will have some time to cool. The downside is that there are a couple of places where you have to slow the car hard from 140mph to around 100-110, and several points where you brake from 100mph. This means that the brakes will be heat cycling more compared to a tighter twistier track with more frequent, but less violent braking zones. I've not driven the car on any other circuit, so I can't really comment. Maybe another member with experience of both could post their opinion.

James

Old 30 September 2002, 06:50 PM
gazk
Scooby Regular

Cool

heres proof that these brakes are awesome! get signed up for the group buy also on this page I should sell stuff as a job

GK
Old 02 October 2002, 10:23 AM
jpidding
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK.....further update:

Had a driving lesson at the Ring last night )

Did a total of 4 laps and my instructor said that the brakes were fine. They do make noise (as stated above) especially when standing on them hard, but he said that this is normal for grooved discs.

Still no signs of cracks after 25 laps total (325 track miles).

Interestingly the brakes seem to vary the noise they make after a track session on the road. Don't know why this should be. Sometimes they go almost silent, then when they warm up they often get louder again....but nopt always. Anyone got any suggestions as to why this should be?

James
Old 03 October 2002, 11:15 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I fitted 294mm Godspeed drilled / grooved disks and Pagid RS42 blues that i bought on here slightly (and lightly) used and I found them superb at Rockingham with the MLR.

They were a bit noisy but outbraked all but the 'big brake' buys consistently. I have just bought an STi Type RA and am a bit p*ssed off that i left the Godspeeds on the old car when i sold it.

Sill, its an excuse to buy a bigger kit!

Overall, I really would recommend the Godspeed conversions very highly!

simon
Old 06 October 2002, 11:05 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just done 120 miles of Croft circuit and not one momment of fade (20min sessions) and there has been only a slight amount of wear on the pads (shame same cannot be said of the tyres!). What a great buy!

Steve