Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AP4 Pot Pads rubbing on alloy bells.

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 11:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hol, APR specify a 43mm depth pad for exactly the reason you describe. Fit the proper stuff and you won't have any problems

Give APR a call or e-mail with any queries. Very helpful peeps. www.apracing.com

Cheers,

Richard.

PS Edited to add APR now supply Ferodo DS2500 pads with all their Subaru kits. You don't want any ****eStuff.

[Edited by Hoppy - 9/7/2002 11:41:59 PM]
Old 07 September 2002, 06:51 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

I thought I had my front shocks wound up too tight as I had a sqeak comming from the front. The brakes have always sqealed but this was new.

AS I took the wheel off I noticed a nice shiny rim to the alloy bell on the AP Kit. On inspection it was the metal of the pad that was just coming into contact with the alloy. It had not happened before as the Pads had more meat. Having said that there is still 12mm of life in them.

I have now sorted both sides out for now by taking my grinder to the metal backs of the pads, but it is still tight.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?, these are the 308?mm disks designed to fit behind a 16in STI wheel.

I appreciate that this is a race orientated kit and maybe another make of pad would be better.
Old 07 September 2002, 07:45 PM
pob on the job
Scooby Regular

Some pad manufactures alter pads to suit this kit. I have been informed that the kit is supplied with AP pads which are in fact, greenstuff, only sprayed grey. That's something I can quite believe as mine lasted about 2 minutes. I have found Ferrodo DS2500 to be very good for fast road and track work. The backing plates are sprayed black, with the edge which would be nearest to the bell unpainted...or they were until ground down to suit the AP 308mm application. It may be that the pads you have have not had enough material removed. I can dig out the Ferrodo part number for the very set up you have if you want, or you can have a go at grinding some the material back. I would personally get back to your supplier stating the unsuitability of the pad fitment and the damage to your bells.

Alan
Old 08 September 2002, 06:19 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers boys, I have ground them down which helps. Ij just seems a shame to but new pads where there is actually loads of life left.

Trouble is |I bought the car with the kit on, so I have no real comeback to the supplier.

HOL
Old 09 September 2002, 02:07 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hol, if you've got the right equipment just cut them back to 43mm radius. You could do it with a simple hand file if you've got nothing better to do for the next couple of weeks Check you haven't done serious damage to the bells

Richard.

PS Who were the clowns that sold you these pads? They need a serious slap.
Old 10 September 2002, 11:03 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

You can get `scalloped` pads pre-cut for this application.

Circuit Supplies carries various compounds in the correct pad shape. The full sized pad is only good for the 330mm disk.
Old 10 September 2002, 11:06 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

got any pictures HOL? would be interested in looking as i have had problems with the same brake system.
Old 10 September 2002, 11:19 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

HKS, Ill try and get some this weekend.

Old 09 October 2002, 09:57 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Hoppy,
the pads are the ones that came with the car and were either fitted new with the kit by the supplier or were bought later and fitted by the previous owner.

I have already taken my angle grinder and a file to them, but I considered that a little bit over the top if I bought new pads. It also seems odd to replace pads that have more material than most new ones.

I would be interested in part no's for the Ferodos and AP's though so i can look at prices.

[Edited by Hol - 9/10/2002 10:00:40 AM]