Mintex m1144 pads

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2002, 01:51 PM
cheap car driver
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I have mintex m1144 pads on my car (type not discosed for fear of killing people laughing ) and I get a very pronounced rumbling noise when the pads are hot and being used at speeds in excess of 45 (ish) mph. I was just wondering if any of you scooby folk have suffered a similar problem, and if so what did you do to solve it.

Oh, and by the way, there is no apparent loss in braking power when the noise sets itself up, it is just very irritating. I recall reading some EBC documentation once saying something to the tune of "pads may 'aeroplane' when bedding in", which i presume is a similar phenomenon. The only thing is that my pads aren't EBC (which i've heard are cr@p), have now done over 1K since fitting, and are showing little sign of shutting up......

Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Old 20 August 2002, 04:50 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Assuming that you bedded the pads in correctly.......

Do you have grooved disks as these often cause noise and vibration when very hot as a result of being used aggressively.

Another thing to check on the disks is whether there are any areas that are noticeably a different colour (usually blue) to the rest of the disk. This can indicate an area that has picked up pad material when the car has been held on the brakes after coming to a halt, or it can indicate that the disk has warped.

Chris.
Old 20 August 2002, 04:58 PM
cheap car driver
Scooby Newbie

just a quick note to say that the discs aren't warped (no vibration at all when slowing gently from high (police alerting) speed), and having looked at the disc surface it looks very uniform with no apparent colouring, asides from the odd spec of rust where the pads don't contact the disc.

Ran them in quite gently with no sitting in traffic with my foot on the pedal, etc... certainly at no point did they get toasted by heavy braking.

Old 21 August 2002, 12:45 PM
cheap car driver
Scooby Newbie

bttt - nobody else got any ideas?

[Edited by cheap car driver - 8/21/2002 12:45:26 PM]