Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Hunter road force balancer

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2021, 11:27 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Hunter road force balancer

Ever since I've had new tyres on my new wheels fitted, I had a slight vibration on the steering wheel which was exaggerated after replacing the LCA bushes with STi GrpN items.

Talking to a friend of mine who had a similar issue, he suggested having the wheels balanced with a Hunter road force balancer.

This is a balancer that applies a load on the tyre and balances the wheels dynamically, not statically like a typical balancer.

I've decided to take the car to BMTR as they have excellent google reviews from others experiencing the same problem.

The first photo shows the wheel balanced statically, you can see it appears to have been balanced correctly (0g need adding).

The second photo is the same wheel after applying load on the tyre, you can see how much out the weights are!

The third photo shows the wheel after adjusting the weights following the load balancing.

Result: no more vibration!

I can't recommend this enough and the service I received from BMTR has been excellent, they didn't use air tools on the nuts but removed them by hand, they removed the old weights with a plastic blade to avoid scratching my wheels and torqued the wheels to the torque I told them. They even asked me what colour weights I wanted! Also, their machine was calibrated a few weeks ago.

Last edited by fpan; 01 July 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01 July 2021, 11:46 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Didn't realise you were in Brum mate.

How much did it cost.
Old 01 July 2021, 11:55 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Not too far, 40 miles away.
It's £25 per wheel but well worth it (a 'normal garage won't charge less than 15-20 for a static balance according to my experience).
Old 01 July 2021, 12:16 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I must be getting old. Remember the days when you could get part worns and have them balanced for £25

Even so at £25 its less hassle than getting a new tyre, refurbing your wheel or looking at your hubs. Glad you got it sorted
The following 2 users liked this post by NOSSY_89: