Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

wheel balancing...aaaarrrgggghhh

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2000, 02:25 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have had 17" wheels fitted two weeks ago, and have been back 3 times for rebalancing as over about 100km/h the steering wheels starts vibrating from side to side in the most annoying manner. All is well at low speed, love the looks and grip of low profile tires, but every time they tell me the wheels are balanced (the balancing machine says so), but I still get the shakes!!! It's driving me nuts. I'm now due to go back for the 4th time and I want it to be the last. What is the problem? Are the morons unable to balance the wheels right? Is their machine perhaps out of tolerance? Is there something wrong with one wheel or tire?
Help,

wall (feeling very unbalanced)
Old 09 May 2000, 09:08 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balancing machines go out of spec and need to be calibrated regularly. It's really unlikely that there's anything wrong with your new wheels and tyres.

I had the same problem with my last car and it turned out to be the tyre depot's machine that was wrong. I had the wheels balanced by Kwik-fit and they were fine thereafter. It shouldn't make any difference whether they use stick-on weights on the inner rim only (better cosmetically) although, in frustration, I ended up asking them to use the hammered on weights on both the outer and inner rims - does spoil the look of the alloys a bit, but at least the shakes disappeared!

Go back and insist that they get their machine recalibrated, failing which, take your business elsewhere.

Brian