Worth Fitting Braided Hoses??

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2002, 11:05 AM
melon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Are they a worthwhile upgrade?
I'm having brakes upgraded next week to Subaru 4 pots/discs etc from standard 2 pots on my MY98 due to current discs worn. Anyway I read loads of posts on here recommending braided hoses, are they really that much of an improvement? I'd like to get some comparison from somebody who had 4 pot standard brake setup and then fitted braided hoses.
I don't do any track...but a lot of high speed motorway braking700 miles/week and plenty of weekend dashes around the peak district
Think I've read before that you can get a set for about £50?
Cheers...melon
Old 18 June 2002, 02:34 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've heard that they make an improvement to the feel of the brakes as the hoses won't stretch under pressure but as I had my brakes upgraded from 2 to 4pots at the same time as the hoses went on I don't really know how much of a difference they made!
I got Goodridge hoses from www.grahamgoode.com for about £52.
If you've got them upgrading the brakes you might aswell get them to do the hoses aswell.

[Edited by ZAZ - 6/18/2002 2:35:36 PM]
Old 18 June 2002, 10:40 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
I had Godridge hoses fitted to the standard brakes on a MY00. Definite improvement in feel straight away. They were also insurance-friendly, as my insureres didn't up the premium when I told them.
Only problem I had was getting used to the new feel in all that snow we had earlier in the year.
Old 19 June 2002, 07:53 AM
melon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot Guys,

ZAZ- Thanks for the link, Did you get much improvement in braking performance? (PS how do you do the links??)

TonyG- thanks for the comparison, worthwhile then

Must add I'd not thought about declaring it as a "mod" to my insurers though, mmmmmm better get it checked out now

cheers...melon
Old 19 June 2002, 09:37 AM
ChrisB

ScoobyMania or TSL will be able to sort you Melon. I had braided hoses done at the same time as front pads + discs. Much improved pedal response IMO.

Worth sticking in some better brake fluid whilst you are there. I've got the Silkolene Pro Race DOT 4 from TSL as well. Ignore the fact it's a DOT 4 by the way, it outpeforms most DOT5 and has a 24 month life span.
Old 19 June 2002, 03:29 PM
Little Miss WRX

Smile

Tis worth fitting the braided hoses yes, I have DOT 5.1 brake fluid though.
I know Mr Felstead uses DOT 5.1 and there aren't many ******* that'll get by or outbrake him
Old 19 June 2002, 04:39 PM
jonmyers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I did this at the weekend and it's certainly worth the £50 and couple of hours it took. The brake pedal has a firmer feel and gives better feedback (towards that of an un-servoed system).

Upgraded the fluid too (to 5.1) but not sure if that makes any improvement to the feel or just the resistance to heat etc.

One note on the fitting, the front and rear off-side unions were very tight and took a great deal of persuasion to get them off. Certainly a standard 10mm spanner wasn't up to the job and it took the mole grips (and copious WD40) to get them off.

Regards,
Jon Myers
Old 20 June 2002, 08:11 AM
melon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone...I'm now convinced

Ordered the goodrich stainless braided hose set yesterday from GrahamGoode (cheers ZAZ) and must add a note of praise for them, very helpful and informative talking me through what I get and their construction etc. (I do ask a lot of Questions) and most importantly the price £67.60 delivered, compared against other quotes of up to £115 for the same thing (hence all the questions!)
Not so sure about the fluid as dealer is fitting them for me so I'll most probably leave it to em, as far as I understand the ratings are for boiling temperatures? I remember someone posting a link to a good write up once explaing the differences,pros and cons etc...anyone still got it?

Cheers...melon

[Edited by melon - 6/20/2002 8:13:45 AM]