Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pulling Left Off Throttle & Pulling Right On Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2019, 06:34 PM
sss107
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling Left Off Throttle & Pulling Right On Throttle

As above! As I drive, the car and the steering wheel naturally pulls left and when accelerating, scooby goes right. (Steering wheel still remains left). I suspected a seized/sticking calliper but all pads are worn evenly. I also checked if one wheel was hotter than the other after a short drive but all were the same.

I recently replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing and while I was at it, replaced the rear control arms with Whiteline stuff.This made no difference and still has the pulling issues.

Is this all down to alignment?

Any help / guidance is appreciated
Old 04 February 2019, 07:13 PM
Dan_SCR_RA
Scooby Regular

Check the front wishbone bushes or steering arms for any play....
Old 04 February 2019, 10:00 PM
sss107
Scooby Regular

Cheers - I’ll have a check tomorrow mate. Would tyres maybe cause this? I have had issues with mine loosing pressure etc and almost certain they have been run on low pressure for a decent amount of time (previous owner). Someone mentioned to me that it could cause tyre conicity issues? Seems alittle thin to me but I have been wrong in the past!
Old 06 February 2019, 11:19 AM
davemar
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_SCR_RA
Check the front wishbone bushes or steering arms for any play....
On my 205 Gti I used to get torque steerng when the front wishbone balljoint wore out, which it did on a regular basis. So worth jacking up the front wheels and giving them a wiggle, and also get a pry-bar into the ball joints and bushes to see if there's movement there.
Old 06 February 2019, 03:02 PM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get it up in the air and have a look. It's either alignment, tyre issue (uneven wear, puncture etc), or one of the susp arms/links bent/broken/damaged.

If all the tyres look okay, and nothing is immediately obvious underneath the car. It'll be alignment.
Old 06 February 2019, 03:41 PM
bugeyestuart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sss107
As above! As I drive, the car and the steering wheel naturally pulls left and when accelerating, scooby goes right. (Steering wheel still remains left). I suspected a seized/sticking calliper but all pads are worn evenly. I also checked if one wheel was hotter than the other after a short drive but all were the same.

I recently replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing and while I was at it, replaced the rear control arms with Whiteline stuff.This made no difference and still has the pulling issues.

Is this all down to alignment?

Any help / guidance is appreciated
Have you hit any potholes at speed or driven aggressively on any rough surfaces as this will cause your lower arm bushes to perish at a rapid rate.
Old 06 February 2019, 11:17 PM
sss107
Scooby Regular

Small update.. I jacked it up and discovered that there is a slight knocking noise when grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 on the passenger side. Unfortunately, it was torrential rain so couldn’t get a decent look! From memory this is usually track rods but suppose it equally be something else.
How do I properly check ball joint/front arm? Am I right in saying I need to jack it up on the arm so there is minimal load?
If this is complete rubbish please tell me!

Cheers again