ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Pulling Left Off Throttle & Pulling Right On Throttle (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1057980-pulling-left-off-throttle-and-pulling-right-on-throttle.html)

sss107 04 February 2019 06:34 PM

Pulling Left Off Throttle & Pulling Right On Throttle

As above! As I drive, the car and the steering wheel naturally pulls left and when accelerating, scooby goes right. (Steering wheel still remains left). I suspected a seized/sticking calliper but all pads are worn evenly. I also checked if one wheel was hotter than the other after a short drive but all were the same.

I recently replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing and while I was at it, replaced the rear control arms with Whiteline stuff.This made no difference and still has the pulling issues.

Is this all down to alignment?

Any help / guidance is appreciated

Dan_SCR_RA 04 February 2019 07:13 PM

Check the front wishbone bushes or steering arms for any play....

sss107 04 February 2019 10:00 PM

Cheers - I’ll have a check tomorrow mate. Would tyres maybe cause this? I have had issues with mine loosing pressure etc and almost certain they have been run on low pressure for a decent amount of time (previous owner). Someone mentioned to me that it could cause tyre conicity issues? Seems alittle thin to me but I have been wrong in the past!

davemar 06 February 2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_SCR_RA (Post 12043796)
Check the front wishbone bushes or steering arms for any play....

On my 205 Gti I used to get torque steerng when the front wishbone balljoint wore out, which it did on a regular basis. So worth jacking up the front wheels and giving them a wiggle, and also get a pry-bar into the ball joints and bushes to see if there's movement there.

Ste333 06 February 2019 03:02 PM

get it up in the air and have a look. It's either alignment, tyre issue (uneven wear, puncture etc), or one of the susp arms/links bent/broken/damaged.

If all the tyres look okay, and nothing is immediately obvious underneath the car. It'll be alignment.

bugeyestuart 06 February 2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by sss107 (Post 12043791)
As above! As I drive, the car and the steering wheel naturally pulls left and when accelerating, scooby goes right. (Steering wheel still remains left). I suspected a seized/sticking calliper but all pads are worn evenly. I also checked if one wheel was hotter than the other after a short drive but all were the same.

I recently replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing and while I was at it, replaced the rear control arms with Whiteline stuff.This made no difference and still has the pulling issues.

Is this all down to alignment?

Any help / guidance is appreciated

Have you hit any potholes at speed or driven aggressively on any rough surfaces as this will cause your lower arm bushes to perish at a rapid rate.

sss107 06 February 2019 11:17 PM

Small update.. I jacked it up and discovered that there is a slight knocking noise when grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 on the passenger side. Unfortunately, it was torrential rain so couldn’t get a decent look! From memory this is usually track rods but suppose it equally be something else.
How do I properly check ball joint/front arm? Am I right in saying I need to jack it up on the arm so there is minimal load?
If this is complete rubbish please tell me!

Cheers again