Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Help please with Stripped Brembo bleed screw?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2018, 12:45 AM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help please with Stripped Brembo bleed screw?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have just changed out the brake fluid on my WR1 with Brembo callipers. On completion of the job when torqueing the calliper bleed screws to the recommended toque of 20 Nm one of the 2 bleed screws on both the nearside & offside front callipers stripped the threads before reaching the torque of 20 Nm. All 4 bleed screws on the back callipers held the torque plus the other 2 bleed screws on the front offside & front nearside also held the torque.

The 2 leaking bleed screws on the front callipers are leaking quite badly. How do I stop the brake fluid with the steel brake lines? On my old classic with rubber brake hoses I would just wrap a cloth around the brake hose & pinch it lightly with a mole grips to stem the flow of brake fluid but as mentioned the Wr1 has steel brake lines?

Also when I remove the calliper to take them to the machineshop for re-drilling which could possibly take a couple of days depending how busy they are the brake fluid will leak even worse. The last thing I want to is lose all the new fluid & have to bleed my master cylinder as well.

Is there a trick you can use with steel braided lines to prevent losing all you brake fluid & introducing air into the closed system?

Also what is the preferred size of nipple & drill outsize for this job?

Much appreciated.

Cheers Paul.