Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Motor Oil on Bead for Tire Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2017, 04:13 AM
badadjective
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Oil on Bead for Tire Mount?

I went to a tire shop to get all new tires and they used motor oil on the bead to mount them. Is this acceptable and safe? I thought it was a bit odd and I don't know much about this process, so I searched and everywhere I've read it's recommended to use soapy water or purchase tire lubricant, and avoid any petroleum-based product especially motor oil.

Second part to my question, if it ISN'T acceptable or safe, can I take it to a better shop within 24-48 hours and have them take off the tires, clean them, and mount correctly, or is there enough damage already that it will reduce the life of the tire?
Old 14 December 2017, 01:40 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

I don't think it will incur any permanent damage, pending they haven't doused it in the stuff! i'd just do my best to degrease the tyre wall myself.

I've never seen anyone do that before though, always seen tyre soap/lubricant used nothing else.

Was this a ghetto tyre shop?
Old 14 December 2017, 01:52 PM
badadjective
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sunny1989
I don't think it will incur any permanent damage, pending they haven't doused it in the stuff! i'd just do my best to degrease the tyre wall myself.

I've never seen anyone do that before though, always seen tyre soap/lubricant used nothing else.

Was this a ghetto tyre shop?
I've since had it cleaned and mounted properly. Definitely ghetto, they cross threaded a bolt too. They did reimburse me for that repair though. Still ghetto guys from Africa, most barely spoke English.