Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Lightweight rims

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2017, 07:21 PM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lightweight rims

I'm currenty looking to get a new set of rims/wheels (or well, sort of planning ahead for next spring/summer I guess) for my 2003 blob Spec-C.
Right now I'm on stock 17" 2003 STI wheels (the first design, that even the bug's already had).
Now, design-wise I'd definitely be looking at 18" simply because they look so much better and much more suitable for the newage impreza shape imho.
However I was advised to stay 17" for the aspect of better driving dynamics (i.e. acceleration, cornering etc.) because of less unsprung weight.

So I wonder if anyone here knows some reaaally lightweight 18" wheels (maybe comparable to the 17" STI wheels weight-wise) as I myself haven't had much experience with rims so far.
Maybe someone even knows specific weights in kg of the stock 17" STI wheels and some very lightweight 18" wheels to compare.

Cheers

Last edited by Dan1; 04 November 2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05 November 2017, 02:49 PM
makkink
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont no how mutch sti wheels weigh but these are very light weight wheels wedsport tc105n nice wheels as well.
http://wedssport.jp/products/english/tc105n.html
I also like to no if 18 wheels are any good for track racing and what the biggers wheels you can fit on a sti type-r whitout fender flares.
I no most fit 17" wheels on track.
Old 08 November 2017, 01:23 PM
rich__88
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im fairly certain there is a guide around on the forums somewhere for all of the various years and models wheel sizes, fitments and possible weights too?

If I remember right, the stock wheels are fairly good to begin with, I think you'll struggle to find bigger and lighter wheels, at least without having to pay a considerable amount.
Old 16 November 2017, 05:13 PM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rich__88
Im fairly certain there is a guide around on the forums somewhere for all of the various years and models wheel sizes, fitments and possible weights too?
For anyone interested, I found the guide that you were probably referring to, its over at nasioc: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2239019

Has all Subaru OEM wheels listed and their respective weights.
Turns out the stock V7 17x7,5" wheels that I have weigh 17,5 lbs.

I did end up getting Volk Racing CE28N in 18x8, weighing in at only 14,7 lbs.
Bigger yet considerably lighter than OEM, thats what I wanted to achieve.

After some research I found Wedssport TC105N and BuddyClub QF to be comparable in weight to the Volks that I got, incase anyone out there is interested in the same pursue of bigger yet lighter than OEM wheel
Old 27 December 2017, 07:51 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's worth looking into the weight of tyres too, 18's are heavier than 17's. So the wheels may be lighter, but the wheel/tyre combo might end up being heavier.

type R I ran 17x8 ET35 and had to roll the lips to use proper size tyres