Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Correct offset for 8.5J on Widetrack Blob with coils?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2016, 11:08 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Correct offset for 8.5J on Widetrack Blob with coils?

Anyone know what sort of thing would work? I had a play with the ET55 wheels from my 2012 STI and they didn't want to know. Need at least 8mm spacers to clear the shocks and then you don't really have enough stud left for the wheelnuts, so decided they weren't the best choice.

The car itself is being turned into a track and hillclimb car, so I am of the mindset that 18s might be a better bet so that when the time for a BBK comes they will fit with no issues. If it turns out that I won't be able to fit 8.5J without a lot of faffing about I'd be interested to know if it would still be worth upgrading to 18s even if they are the same 8J width as the standard 17 inch wheels.
Old 23 August 2016, 04:22 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a set of Volk RE30's that are a 55et and they fit my hawk spec c fine and I have a bit of camber on the rear, what size tyre was it 245?
Old 23 August 2016, 04:32 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think so. The standard size from the 2012. It sat right against the HSDs, but the rear was actually OK with a 5mm spacer and even a 3mm would have done. It's the front that's really the problem. At 5mm there's probably enough thread on the hub studs for the wheel nuts but I wouldn't want to go any further. I tried 10mm on the rear as I'd want to use the same spacers all round to keep everything in proportion and the wheelnut basically got just under two full turns on the stud. Can't run like that lol.

Standard shocks I think it might just clear with narrower tyres. Would a 235 be better? My fear is buying tyres and finding the expense wasn't worth it as they don't fit.
Old 23 August 2016, 04:44 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Where abouts are you...I have a few sets of wheels with 225's and 235's fitted, you're more than welcome to try them for size, got 2 sets with an ET of 42 which brings them away from the strut a bit

I'm in Lancashire btw
Old 23 August 2016, 05:13 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I'm in Leeds but might be worth a drive over at some point to find out.

Something's just occurred to me though. I need to try both sides at the front. The car has previous accident damage and I know that one side isn't quite right as they had to set the camber differently on both front shocks to get it aligned. It might turn out that it does actually take the wheel on the other side. I'll probably be best waiting until I've had it checked over and decided whether I'm having it jigged or doing a reshell.
Old 23 August 2016, 05:45 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

No worries...Ive been working at the Uni today

The offer is there if you need it mate