ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

upgrade on standard

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2000, 11:53 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Time to look at an ice upgrade.Have just Added tweeter kit to my MY00 which was worthwhile. However as I don't have any tapes anymore and the standard radio is a bit iffy, I was thinking about a new head/amp unit combo and a minidisc changer.Would also like to think about a speaker upgrade. I don't need/ want anything too posh and I certainly don't want a subwoofer! By the way I wouldn't/ couldn't DIY. Thoughts gratefully received......
Old 09 December 2000, 01:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joni, was it you that was also buying from Alliance Car Imports - is this the car?

"new head/amp unit combo" - do you mean using the amp in the head unit (I think this is what you mean), or do you mean a separate amplifier? Do you mean upgrade the FRONT speakers? - that could mean only changing the woofer and keeping in your new tweeter kit. Most people wouldn't bother changing the rear speakers. (If you are going to run the speakers off an external amp, you would be better with new speakers). Some quite like the combo of CD headunit and MD changer. I like Kenwood CD headunits (have 5080R £150). Speakers = Infinity 605CS components £88 - I am delighted with these - much improved over Kenwood coaxials KFCHQ167DB £72.

If you don't want it too posh, then Kenwood do some nice combo systems (headunit and MD changer). Your problem is finding woofers separately - less choice probably than getting component set of woofer/tweeter. You may find that now you've got the tweeter kit in it might be adequate for you without changing the woofer - you could try it. Maybe some of the other ICErs will have some thoughts for you... Chiark I think has a Kenwood minidisc headunit.
Old 09 December 2000, 05:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Joni,
I've got a Sony MDX C7970 Minidisc head, along with the 10 disc multiCD.
All I can say is that it is brill!
Very clear - some might say almost harsh. But the Minidisc sounds very warm (due to the data compression!!!)
This head unit has several outs as well for upgrades (amps etc)

Well recommended.

Dan
Old 10 December 2000, 01:07 PM
Spence27
Scooby Regular

Hi all,
Whilst on the subject of speakers, does anyone know what size speaker is needed for the fronts (MY93WRX)? And do those two you recommended John sound much better than the standards?

Why do most not upgrade rear speakers? Are they simply outstanding (doubt it) or just a major bummer to get to?

cheers
Alex
Old 10 December 2000, 02:49 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Alex,
I've got an MY95 5dr that I've just put 6" speakers in the front (16cm)
6.5" (16.5cm) will go in, but might need a bit of doctoring - usually through the use of a spacer.....

The rears, I've just replaced the factorys with a pair of Kenwood 16cm - went in a piece of cake (but mine IS a 5dr)

I still not wholely convinced that the rears do not make a difference, but I'm open to arguments ;-)

Hope this helps..
Dan
Old 10 December 2000, 02:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything seems to be **much** better than standard. Just particularly impressed with the Infinity 605CS which are good value and easy to install and sound wonderful.

Rear speakers are not often changed cos most folk put all their money into the front and run their rear speakers at about 10% of the front power for "rear fill". If you have powerful speakers at the back it drags the staging of the sound backwards and you lose the stereo imagery. They are also a pig to get at, and the time and cost rewards are just not there for doing it. The factory rear speakers are ideal for rear fill as they are not powerful and have only a single cone so don't produce too much treble - treble is particularly directional.

If you had a source that provided true rear channel content - e.g Dolby Digital etc (some apparently do have it in their cars!) then rear speakers would be beneficial.

Don't know about the 93WRX front speaker sizes, but you could always take the trim off using the instructions in the SIDC faq and have a look. More recent models take 160-170mm or 6 1/2 inch speakers. Some speakers need an MDF spacer, especially if their mounting depth is over say 64mm. Under 60mm goes in easily - examples - JBL GT6.0c components, or the Infinity components or the Kenwood coax I mentioned above (all go in without spacer). For higher budgets, Infinity Kappa, CD Technologies have been recommended - prob only worth it if using an amplifier.
Old 10 December 2000, 03:28 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

John, Yes It is me! Many thanks for all your thoughts...Helpful. I have gone for a Sony single minidisc/ tuner.At the moment this is hooked up to the original speakers, just to see how it sounds and yup the speakers are nothing special. Good tip about changing fronts only and will tackle this post Christmas.