Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

WRX calipers killing me! Cost effective upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2016, 10:59 AM
wagon1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX calipers killing me! Cost effective upgrade?

Hey Folks,

I'm sick and tired of the crap brakes on my WRX, to the point that i'm pretty close to selling up for something new.

I've been using EBC grooved discs and yellowstuff pads, when everything is new it's fine and I have the same consumables on a much heavier and more abused car with zero issues, so i'm blaming the **** calipers.

I seem to be replacing the discs every 6k miles and the calipers every other year. I don't do much mileage, which is probably part of the problem, but the discs are warped again and it's killing my will to live!

Is there a cost effective upgrade? Will changing the pistons to stainless solve the issues? I can't really justify spending £1k on a set of big brake front calipers when the car is only worth around £5k.

Even a set of brembos is looking pretty expensive.

Help!
Old 08 August 2016, 11:12 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Firstly, change the pads to something like performance friction as EBC pads are USELESS. Never liked them. Discs fine, pads are utter cr4p. If that doesn't help, which it will do slightly then you're best off upgrading the fronts to STI brembos. Did this on my WRX and it was a massive improvement. £400 for calipers second hand as a general guide. Plus new pads & discs so should see £600 all in and you should get £200 for your old brakes to a classic owner as an upgrade.

You may need different wheels though as the brembos won't fit behind the standard WRX wheels. Also make sure you get the 4x brembo mounting bolts as they are different to the WRX ones.
Old 08 August 2016, 11:41 AM
Autotweek
Former Sponsor

Yes i'd upgrade to Brembro calipers, we have a few 4x brembo mounting kits forsale aswell.

Surprised your replacing calipers every other year, what make are the 4 pots calipers?
Old 08 August 2016, 11:53 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd suggest that even with decent pads and all new components, the WRX brakes are borderline at best. Others will no doubt think otherwise. However, what are you doing to the brakes to require the calipers to be replaced every year? What is actually wrong with the calipers? The only thing I can think of as a failure point are the pistons sticking. Which is usually due to debris getting under the seal over time or them rusting. Neither should be happening in the space of the year though.

For that to be the case I can only think that you are doing something wrong when fitting them. Also for the discs to wart would suggest that something is not aligned properly or you are driving Time-Attacks every day; the heat cycles to warp big pieces of iron are not inconsiderable.

Calipers can be rebuilt quite cheaply and with SS pistons. This won't improve their performance but will increase their longevity. Secondhand Brembos are the most cost effective but you will need different wheels (STi) so price increases. Or just fit some small spacers.

I paid £1k for a complete AP Racing set-up on a car worth barely twice that amount. But then I prioritise stopping quite highly and I can always remove them and sell them on again separately.
Old 08 August 2016, 12:00 PM
wagon1
Scooby Newbie

Replacing calipers every other year! Still bad, not as bad.

I believe the main issue (apart from the brakes being crap anyway) is that i'm often away for 2/3wks at a time with the car not moving, also based up north so lots of salty winter miles to contend with when I am here.

I've been using the wrx pro calipers (not stainless).

Are you guys only changing the fronts to brembos or rears too?

Thanks for the input.
Old 08 August 2016, 12:02 PM
wagon1
Scooby Newbie

Also, i'm already running 18's so they may clear the brembos already? Possibly with a spacer.
Old 08 August 2016, 12:28 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

You can change the rears to Brembos but not really required. Properly working WRX set-up with decent pads is fine.

Your 18" wheels may clear but it's the offset that's important as the Brembo calipers are quite wide. You can buy thin spacers from as little as 2-5mm. Don't need to go crazy.
Old 11 August 2016, 01:49 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're running performance pads, many of these will be leaving a chemical layer on the disc (partly the reason for specific break in procedures dependant on pad), and if you're getting a lot of surface corrosion on the rotors you'll basically be losing a lot of this layer, which will be impacting the performance of the brakes. As will pistons sticking. When they're working at their best, are you happy with their performance? If you are then I'd suggest that finding a way to keep them working at their optimum would be a better spend of your money than a costly upgrade that will potentially have the same issue.
Old 11 August 2016, 02:01 PM
mjp02wrx
Scooby Regular

I have a set of fresh rebuilt front brembos in for sale section, lots of new bits swapped