Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Whiteline droplinks failure after 4 months

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2015, 12:46 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Whiteline droplinks failure after 4 months

I bought the Whiteline KLC31 F/R droplink kit for my '02 Bug in June. I've just had the car MoTd and it's failed on both front droplinks - excessive play in the top bushes. To say I'm not impressed is an understatement. Is this a common failure or am I just unlucky? Unsure what to fit now. Don't really want another set of Whiteline but deciding whether to rebush these (with someone else's bushes) or by a new set from another supplier - but who?

Thoughts?
Old 23 October 2015, 12:57 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I bought the Whiteline KLC31 F/R droplink kit for my '02 Bug in June. I've just had the car MoTd and it's failed on both front droplinks - excessive play in the top bushes. To say I'm not impressed is an understatement. Is this a common failure or am I just unlucky? Unsure what to fit now. Don't really want another set of Whiteline but deciding whether to rebush these (with someone else's bushes) or by a new set from another supplier - but who?

Thoughts?
Who did you buy them off mate? Brand new ones?

Martin
Old 23 October 2015, 12:59 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Brand new from Camskills. The rears are OK apparently.

Whiteline calim 3 year warranty:

"WHITELINE performance products include sway bar/ anti-roll-kits (excluding installation components) and bracing and alignment kits with part numbers from BAF000 to BZZZZZ, KCA000 to KCAZZZ, KSB000 to KSBZZZ, KLC000 to KLCZZZ and KDT000 to KDTZZZ (Performance Products) are covered for 3 years from the date of original installation."

I don't really want another set though if I have to keep making claims every few months.
Old 23 October 2015, 02:34 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

So Camskills don't have a parts department any more.....they are going to contact Whiteline and I'm awaiting their reply.

I need a new set by Thursday though, so I can get the car MoT'd before the end of the month. Think I will have to order some more and then argue the toss with Whiteline at a later date. Anyone rate SuperPro or can suggest any other suppliers?
Old 23 October 2015, 02:41 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Brand new from Camskills. The rears are OK apparently.

Whiteline calim 3 year warranty:

"WHITELINE performance products include sway bar/ anti-roll-kits (excluding installation components) and bracing and alignment kits with part numbers from BAF000 to BZZZZZ, KCA000 to KCAZZZ, KSB000 to KSBZZZ, KLC000 to KLCZZZ and KDT000 to KDTZZZ (Performance Products) are covered for 3 years from the date of original installation."

I don't really want another set though if I have to keep making claims every few months.
I've just fitted front and back white line drop links (adjustable) no issues with them to report...

Ring Alyn @ ASperformance mate you'll probably get them tomorrow if you order now

0191 410 3770

Martin
Old 23 October 2015, 03:06 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I haven't noticed any issues with them, I replaced all my suspension in one go (the original droplinks were completely shot). Can't say I've felt any deterioration since fitting them. Still, garage says they are both worn and can't see any reason for them to make it up, especially as I'm obviously going to see them when I replace them!

Trying to think of any reason why they could of failed. They were straight forward to fit and weren't sitting at any daft angle, like I have seen happen with alloy arms etc. Would fluids (oil/brake etc) cause the PU to wear? Although having said that, I'd have to have leaks on both sides of the car, in the same places (and not effecting the lower bushes) - think I'd notice that.

So Camskills have some KLC30s in stock (which are just the fronts as opposed to the KLC31 I bought which include the rears) which they are going to post out to me this evening. I'll take some photos of the old ones when I swap them over, to see what you think. Then send them back to Camskills and see what Whiteline say.
Old 23 October 2015, 03:08 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

unusual, i've run whiteline stuff on all my cars no issues. My old car had whiteline front droplinks for a good 5+ years without any issues.
Old 23 October 2015, 03:14 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
unusual, i've run whiteline stuff on all my cars no issues. My old car had whiteline front droplinks for a good 5+ years without any issues.
I agree - was the reason I bought them in the first place. Will get the car up in the air this weekend and see what's what.

On the plus side, they were the only thing the car failed on - not bad for 150k.
Old 23 October 2015, 03:33 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you actually seen them with your own eyes yet? Are they the wire type or billet ones?

The wire type have a strange shaped bush in them, kind of like a thread spool. Maybe they've mistaken that for wear.
Old 23 October 2015, 03:43 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had whiteline wire type arbs on my car when i bought it.
No idea how long they had been fitted but one rusted through and snapped when I changed the arb.
Changed to a billet drop link and its been fine.
The arb was whiteline and rusted in months ,personally I think whiteline stuff rusts in seconds and is sh1te.

edit:
by sh1te i mean quallity wise as the stuff does work quite well

Last edited by fat-thomas; 23 October 2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 23 October 2015, 03:57 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

These ones:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...t_number=KLC30
Old 23 October 2015, 06:17 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Is it possible he inspected them with car fully jacked with wheels in air? With suspension fully extended the bushes will sit in an awkward postion that gives impression they are mangled. Rears more so than front

What wisbones on front? Steel or alloy?

Last edited by Gambit; 23 October 2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 23 October 2015, 06:55 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Steel wishbones.

The garage I use are Subaru Indies - they prep and race Imprezas - so I'm assuming that they know what they are looking at. I've used them previously and not had any issues - not for MoTs, admittedly.

Rears were fine apparently.

Exact wording on MoT is: "Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement nearside/offside front". That would suggest more than purely a visual inspection.
Old 23 October 2015, 07:02 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whiteline are quality products full stop, are you sure the MOT station isn't having you in! I own a MOT station in Brum and we have Moted quite a few Subaru's and EVO's over the years with Whiteline drop links and have never had any fail. But if there is an issue for what I know about Whiteline UK you will be certainly looked after if it's proved there's a problem with there product.
Old 23 October 2015, 07:48 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S204Darren
Whiteline are quality products full stop, are you sure the MOT station isn't having you in!
Who knows. Seems a very strange way to run a business if so. Certainly can't see what they possibly would have to gain by it.
Old 23 October 2015, 08:12 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Whiteline products appear to tick most peoples boxes with the exception of a minority who they have every right to voice their concerns and thankfully do to give a 360 perspective.

Personally I would get them replaced free of charge and give them another shot. If you are still dissatisfied with the particular product in question then change for another brand.

You have every right to ask for them to be replaced.

I purchased some Carbon Lorraine 5+ front pads in Sept 2014, car used for general use & 3 track days. One of the pads removed itself completely from the backing plate 2 weeks ago. They are being replaced free of charge provided I return the faulty one's this week. Hopefully in time for the Buttertubs run with LADSOC!!
Old 23 October 2015, 08:59 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Who knows. Seems a very strange way to run a business if so. Certainly can't see what they possibly would have to gain by it.
Work.

Last edited by S204Darren; 23 October 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 24 October 2015, 09:24 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Work.
I guess so. Although they didn't offer to sell new parts to me or to fit them, just said I need to change them. I suppose it could just be a ruse to get me to re-test it - seems a strange item to pick though, given that they are clearly new and a matching set. Would have thought there would be far less obvious things that they could fail it on and which would lead to more work (money) for them.

If it ever stops raining today, I'll take a look.

Just noticed that this is in the "Wheels..." forum, should be in "General" or "Suspension". My bad.
Old 24 October 2015, 12:56 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
I had whiteline wire type arbs on my car when i bought it.
No idea how long they had been fitted but one rusted through and snapped when I changed the arb.
Changed to a billet drop link and its been fine.
The arb was whiteline and rusted in months ,personally I think whiteline stuff rusts in seconds and is sh1te.

edit:
by sh1te i mean quallity wise as the stuff does work quite well
Only rust you ever seen is your ginger head or pants
i dont believe you have or had any whiteline parts on Yours bug wrx you dreamer
ive got adjustable ones done 50k miles and nothing wrong with them yet
Old 24 October 2015, 01:02 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Only rust you ever seen is your ginger head or pants
i dont believe you have or had any whiteline parts on Yours bug wrx you dreamer
ive got adjustable ones done 50k miles and nothing wrong with them yet
Oh joys, the muppet is back....

Get rid of 2 and another one pops up, its like one of those mole whacking games.....
Old 24 October 2015, 03:42 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
Oh joys, the muppet is back....

Get rid of 2 and another one pops up, its like one of those mole whacking games.....
Old 24 October 2015, 11:18 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 18 April 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 25 October 2015, 10:59 AM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy

Rarely a truer word written!

The mods made a wise decision banning those two wakners, jayallen and Trinity. Unfortunately, they've lifted the bans on the two other biggest wakners, fat-thomas and fawor. If those four were permabanned it would clean this place up quite nicely, snet wouldn't be seen as such a joke, the decent members who have left in their droves might come back, new members wouldn't get abused for asking a perfectly valid question and then quit the site, and people wouldn't cringe with embarrassment every time they saw a WRX thread, knowing snet's thickest, saddest wakner was going to make his usual, predictable, pathetic, mindless, boring, unfunny SIOC/individjewel/WRXs are $h!t comments.

All of this is in my honest, humble opinion, of course. But then again, I've made less than 1,000 posts (not including my alter-ego), which, according to the retarded logic of the bellends mentioned above, means I'm an illiterate dummy... so what do I know!?
Articulated to a T!
Old 25 October 2015, 12:06 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
Is it possible he inspected them with car fully jacked with wheels in air? With suspension fully extended the bushes will sit in an awkward postion that gives impression they are mangled.
This I am guessing.

Suspension unloaded:

Droplinks removed:

Name:  DSC_0389_zpspkxzxvqf.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  628.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0386_zpsthgcbfre.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  593.8 KB

Hmmm.....

So it would suggest that someone has just given them a visual inspection and doesn't know what they are looking at. It's not as if it's a flying car....the position of the bushes when the wheels are hanging free seem somewhat irrelevant. Admittedly I haven't lifted the other side and seen if there is play in the ARB but I know that there won't be. There is no play, knocks, rattles, excessive movement or anything. They are bushes, they are supposed to have some movement.

So unless I am very much mistaken and the droplinks are not fitted correctly in some way (certainly couldn't find any torque settings or such), I'm certainly not going to fit new ones and then raise a warranty claim with Whiteline....

So the question now is whether I go back to the garage and ask them to explain exactly what the issue is and how examining them when the car isn't under load, proves anything, or, I book it in for another MoT somewhere else.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 25 October 2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: quote removal
Old 25 October 2015, 01:02 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 18 April 2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 25 October 2015, 04:03 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

This I am guessing.

Suspension unloaded:

Droplinks removed:

Hmmm.....

So it would suggest that someone has just given them a visual inspection and doesn't know what they are looking at. It's not as if it's a flying car....the position of the bushes when the wheels are hanging free seem somewhat irrelevant. Admittedly I haven't lifted the other side and seen if there is play in the ARB but I know that there won't be. There is no play, knocks, rattles, excessive movement or anything. They are bushes, they are supposed to have some movement.

So unless I am very much mistaken and the droplinks are not fitted correctly in some way (certainly couldn't find any torque settings or such), I'm certainly not going to fit new ones and then raise a warranty claim with Whiteline....

So the question now is whether I go back to the garage and ask them to explain exactly what the issue is and how examining them when the car isn't under load, proves anything, or, I book it in for another MoT somewhere else.
There doesn't look like there's much wrong with them IMO.
Old 25 October 2015, 04:14 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I RTM'd FAWOR's post, yet it and him are still here, looks like the admin wont be doing much about him again.....
Old 25 October 2015, 04:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Imo they are wrong drop links for your car, (even though they are suggested for your car) imo you need the rose joint links or the wire ones so they can withstand the tilt. They cant be working 100% as supposed to
Old 25 October 2015, 05:13 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

These are the ones that are standard equipment on my model and are the ones that I removed:

The garage also helpfully advised me to fit "polybushed links" or just insert polybushes into my links......err...... they are polybushes....

Can't find anything useful on Whiteline website re:torque. Have found some articles suggesting they should be 22lbsft - would that make much of a difference?
Old 25 October 2015, 05:15 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

There doesn't look like there's much wrong with them IMO.
Would you fail the car based on that visual evidence?

Quick Reply: Whiteline droplinks failure after 4 months