Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Mixing Winter and Summer Tyres??

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2015, 04:38 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Winter and Summer Tyres??

Dumb question, I'm sure, but has anyone tried mixing winter tyres on the front with summer on the rear?

I've been forced into a situation owing to a wrong delivery last week where I have received 2 of 4 new winter tyres and I'm heading up north first thing tomorrow.

With the forecasts of snow, I'm wondering if I would be better off staying on my half worn summer tyres or swapping the fronts for the 2 winter tyres.

Anyone tried something similar?

A quick response would be appreciated.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:40 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Too late, I've gone for it. Sort of hoping the other two will turn up first thing in the morning.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:54 PM
jaf2212
Scooby Regular

Not a wise move mixing the tyres, more chance of spinning out
Old 28 January 2015, 07:28 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Yes, I know but, famous last words, I prefer to turn into a corner and catch the slide rather than plough straight on. Braking should be better too.

Assuming my other two tyres don't turn up in the morning it'll be an interesting experience.

Will also show the difference between the two sets in terms of grip.

I'll report back assuming it's not too embarrassing.
Old 29 January 2015, 09:56 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Very bad idea for a long trip!

Nothing to do with handling or spinning out, but it could damage your viscous centre diff.

Different tyres of the same apparent size have a massive range of rolling radius, and if you have brand new winters at one end and worn out summers at the other, you'll almost certainly be significantly contra-rotating the centre diff for an extended period of time..... a long motorway journey would be worst case as youd be constantly putting heat into the silicone fluid in the centre diff, which is designed to take small amounts of contra-rotation, which shears the silicone fluid with plates, which heats it up, and grips the shear plates redirecting the torque to the non spinning axle .... real world awd usage, this would be higher contra-rotation speed but for a much lower time. Youll be giving yours a much lower contra-rotation speed, but for maybe a few hours duration.

Chances are she'll be fine, but if your centre diff locks or becomes fully open then this could have contributed.
Old 05 February 2015, 08:18 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

It was nearly embarrassing!!

We hit quite a lot of snow on A roads whilst travelling up to the Peak District and I was pleased to have some grip at least at one end. Everything seemed fine until I turned off the A road onto a B road.

Now, bearing in mind, when I go away, the kitchen sink doesn't get a look in, there was a lot of weight in the boot and I felt all of it trying to spin me around. It nearly succeeded but I had taken into account the tyre mismatch and taken a line to suit which allowed me to have a little play

Centre diff issues aside, I was pleased to have had the extra grip on the front as there were a number of times on the side of mountains, well, they gave the impression of mountains when slip sliding along the completely snow and ice covered roads, which were concerning.

Consequently, I was glad I took the plunge but off to get the other two tyres fitted tomorrow and hoping the diff will get me there without problems and that I haven't done too much damage.

As an aside, with regard to the diff, I've never swapped my tyres front to rear on the basis they wear completely differently and would give completely different grip and wear characteristics having swapped.