Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rear brembo upgrade-95RA

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2015, 11:09 AM
mit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brembo upgrade-95RA

Hi, I've just purchased a set front brembos for my 95RA, was thinking as the systems apart, I might as well sort the rears as well. My trouble is, I run an R180 rear hub, being the RA. I understand it would be best to fit sti rear 5x100 hubs, so everything fits without brackets etc, and standard hand brake.
Is this an easy job? And, I take it I'd need the suspension re-alligned?
Also, I hear that the bias valve is good to remove, but why, and again is this an easy job? I've got stainless hoses etc to fit at the same time
Another thing I've been reading, is changing the master cylinder for the later sti. Is this worthwhile?
Last question, as I still have the single pot rears at the moment, would the rear brembos be worth the hassle?
I've decided to keep the car now, and want to sort the brakes properly, as they've always been a bit naff, even with upgraded 4 pots, pads and disks.

Thanks, Tim.
Old 10 January 2015, 11:39 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
Hi, I've just purchased a set front brembos for my 95RA, was thinking as the systems apart, I might as well sort the rears as well. My trouble is, I run an R180 rear hub, being the RA. I understand it would be best to fit sti rear 5x100 hubs, so everything fits without brackets etc, and standard hand brake. Is this an easy job? And, I take it I'd need the suspension re-alligned? Also, I hear that the bias valve is good to remove, but why, and again is this an easy job? I've got stainless hoses etc to fit at the same time Another thing I've been reading, is changing the master cylinder for the later sti. Is this worthwhile? Last question, as I still have the single pot rears at the moment, would the rear brembos be worth the hassle? I've decided to keep the car now, and want to sort the brakes properly, as they've always been a bit naff, even with upgraded 4 pots, pads and disks. Thanks, Tim.
I'm gonna be changing all my brakes (rears too) for Brembos, I have a 97 UK Turbo. It'll stop the car diving badly with having increased braking force up front. I got the mounting brackets and large handbrake shoes so I don't have to change hubs. Probably the easiest solution really. There was a thread not so long ago about master cylinders and it turns out that the classic one generates more force than the new age ones! There's a lot of useful figures in the thread that would explain it better. I'll try to find it for you. As for the bias valve, I have no idea. I'll be leaving mine in place but removing the ABS completely.
Old 10 January 2015, 11:52 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I must correct myself. If you had a master cylinder from a 2005 onwards WRX (not STI) and combined it with Brembo calipers, you would have the highest theoretical amount of line pressure achievable at 1405psi compared to 1321psi of the classic master cylinder with 66lbs of force being applied to the brake pedal. Having said that, that's still a lot higher than the 1209psi the STI master cylinder produces. So in short, classic with Brembos all round should be better than the donor new age car they came off!
Old 10 January 2015, 12:27 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mit
Hi, I've just purchased a set front brembos for my 95RA, was thinking as the systems apart, I might as well sort the rears as well. My trouble is, I run an R180 rear hub, being the RA. I understand it would be best to fit sti rear 5x100 hubs, so everything fits without brackets etc, and standard hand brake.
Is this an easy job? And, I take it I'd need the suspension re-alligned?
Also, I hear that the bias valve is good to remove, but why, and again is this an easy job? I've got stainless hoses etc to fit at the same time
Another thing I've been reading, is changing the master cylinder for the later sti. Is this worthwhile?
Last question, as I still have the single pot rears at the moment, would the rear brembos be worth the hassle?
I've decided to keep the car now, and want to sort the brakes properly, as they've always been a bit naff, even with upgraded 4 pots, pads and disks.

Thanks, Tim.
no RA ever had an R180 unless you have upgraded?? and they weren't even produced until the first v3 cars for 96/97........
Old 10 January 2015, 03:10 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Hi, sorry meant to say it has the 3.9 diff, so the brake setup at the rear is a little different I believe?
So the master cylinder might be worth leaving alone then.

Cheers.
Old 10 January 2015, 03:14 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
Hi, sorry meant to say it has the 3.9 diff, so the brake setup at the rear is a little different I believe? So the master cylinder might be worth leaving alone then. Cheers.
Yeah I think the hassle of fitting a new one might not be worth the gain over a classic one. However, they're cheap!
Old 12 January 2015, 08:59 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

nothing to do with the ratio of the diff in general however as the classic 3.9 was only ever available in R160 size then it confirms my post.............

you could simply fit adaptor brackets and oversize shoes to sort or you could use a JDM new-age R180 complete set-up (diff, shafts, hubs, etc.) as they also run 3.9 and your brakes would bolt straight on