Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Slider Bolt Lube Hawkeye after Seizeing

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2014, 09:48 PM
drummog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slider Bolt Lube Hawkeye after Seizeing

Car done 80k miles and doing an all four wheel pad, disc and caliper piston seal change.

On the rear there are three slider bolts free and one a touch sticky. Still came out with just hand pressure and easily cleaned

On the Front offside they were both seized top and bottom but the top plain one was the most difficult to move and needed heat to get it out and a 500 mm stillson to get it moving.

Front nearside bottom anti vibration one free the top plain one seized but came out after it was turned by a 250mm stillson.

It would appear in all cases the seizing was a result of the grease used by Subaru going gummy, first time I have seen that.

In the Subaru supplied caliper repair kits there is Red grease to assist in replacing the caliper seals and orange grease to put on the slider pins.

As the bottom pins have rubber parts running in steel they need I think a specific silicon lube.

What is the panels thoughts on the Subaru supplied lube or what do you use. In saying that the worst case was the top plain steel pin in the steel bracket and it was the lube that was holding it in place.

Im the only person to work on the brakes and did a disc and pad swap at 40K

eddie

Last edited by drummog; 28 August 2014 at 09:50 PM.