Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

Bluefin Remaps?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2009, 06:25 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluefin Remaps?

Hi guys

I have ordered myself a new VW Scirocco to replace the Subaru.

Its the 140bhp version with the GT pack.

Been doing some reading on the web, and it seems there is a Bluefin map available for £359, which takes the power up by 56bhp and 77 ft/lb.

Does anyone have any experience with using the bluefin, and would you say it was a worthy modification?

i know Alan has done a similar mod with his BMW, and hopefully your along to shed some light for me .

Cheers guys

Raf
Old 30 May 2009, 06:34 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Had it on my Focus ST, couldn't really fault the product or the company. Jamie and the other guys at Superchips were always on hand if I had a problem. Only problem being me no too hot on computers to had a trouble downloading an updated map off their server. A quick phone call and they talked me through the problem.

It's also idiot proof. Plug it in to the OBD port and it saves the stock map and uploads their map then if you want to swap back to stock you can in the matter of minutes.
Old 30 May 2009, 06:54 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Cool, once my car arrives, and I have put some miles on it, I may try this.

How did it perform on your Focus ST?
Old 31 May 2009, 07:40 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

I think Al has had this (or something similar) done to his POS ()

...so it must be idiot and Brummie proof
Old 01 June 2009, 10:07 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
...so it must be idiot and Brummie proof
Not quite. I managed to screw it up, but the boys at SC did some great support stuff and got it fixed in a jiffy. (After a sleepless night of me papping myself thinking I'd bricked my car....)

RAF.. It's dead easy me old mucker.

Just order the unit direct from the company.. tell them you've come via the BMW forums.. which you have cos I told you.... and you'll get 10% off.

Next, when it arrives after a day or two, simply plug it in to the OBD and go through the easy instructions. It will copy the map from the car to the Bluefin in about a minute or two.

Plug it into your computer and it'll upload this map it to the SC servers.
If you do this before mid day, you may get your new one back before 5pm.

They'll make sure the map isn't different to the one they have for your car and they'll email you telling you it's ready, you plug the unit back in and it'll down load automatically.

Simply plug it back in to the OBD port and upload the new map they've sent you.. it'll take another 2 mins....

Bingo.. Job done.. extra power. It really is that easy.

I had an issue with a second stage ignition that wasn't as described and it screwed the software. As I did this after tea at 6, they'd all gone home, so I was left immobilised until the following Morning. 2 secs of them telling me about a second stage ignition that I knew nothing about and bingo. Job done.

So make sure you do it before 5pm.

My gains we far more significant as the BM has a lot of hidden potential. So bang for bucks it was worth every penny. Especially with over 500ft Lbs now...

It doesn't offer as much gain as a RR map as they've done the map elsewhere to a similar vehicle and turned it down a few % to make sure it's well within the different tolerances for different cars. But for the money it's great value.

It also means that if the software gets wiped (BMW do software upgrades often. Especially when it's in for a service and it takes it back to stock) you can simply re-load. Most mappers will offer a free re-map service if this happens, but that's always a pain if they're miles away. This can be done on your drive.

You can always take the car back to standard to sell and re-use the unit for another map. If you have more than one car that SC have mapped then the unit will store them all.

You can't use your map on another VeeDub as it's serial numbered from the software..

There is talk that some of the alarm and map counters aren't reset (which a mapper can do), so potentially could be found voiding any warranty.. but they offer a £10k insurance in case anything goes wrong and the dealer doesn't pay out... Unlikely, but peace of mind.

I can bring the device down Friday if we come down for F&C for you to see, but it's about the size of a very large remote..

But once it's mapped, it just sits in the drawer.

That's about it. I'd have no hesitation recommending it and them.
Simply put.. do it!

Last edited by Alan C; 01 June 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02 June 2009, 06:52 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Hi Alan

Thanks so much for that, its a great insight and I think I will go for it once I have had the car and run it in for a couple of thousand miles, or does that not really matter?

Not to be cheeky but Would love to have a run out in the BM next time I see you, dont think ive every been in a 335d so would love to know what its like.

Hopefully see you all friday if you come over, ill PM the shop number to you in case your running late or whatever and you want us to save you some

Raf
Old 03 June 2009, 07:28 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Any time mate... if you're passing Wakey let me know and we can pop out. I think you'll be impressed.

I'll speak to Katrina (Sticky and Dave) about coming over to your gaff Friday if I finish early enough as if I finish late it'll be close to closing.

I'll call you.... I'll need a 'special' in any case
Old 03 June 2009, 10:04 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Add 'needs' to 'special'...

We're okay with Friday, any time after 4ish
Old 13 June 2009, 12:15 AM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

I had a bluefin for the wifes Fiesta ST which didnt give much difference being none turbo. Also had one of the first Focus ST maps that they developed and have had around 8 maps from them in total now. I have to say I have defected to using DreamScience over bluefin but both devices work great and are dead easy to use. For the money they are well worth it.