Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

Cat D

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2007, 10:39 AM
MARK-SPARK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat D

How much difference to the price of a car thats as been cat d listed by insurance company make. Car is 55 wrx sti for sale on scoobynet and he as listed car at £12750, or should I stay away and just wait for a clean example.
Old 18 March 2007, 11:13 AM
skywalker23
Scooby Regular

Not sure mate, i'd give him a ring and say u know it's been damaged ,but to what extent,and then make your mind up,also maybe worth having a travel up and take out for a test drive ,and listen out for any knocks or rattles,or any visual bad signs,

I don't know much bout he mechanical side of things ,but just saying what i'd do, maybe ask one of the more experienced guy's from here,to maybe have a journey up with you......
Old 18 March 2007, 12:26 PM
JAKbauer24
Former Sponsor

stay away matey ........ if it was a fiesta then ok but a performance car should be clean there never the same after you prang em ...... trust me i know
Old 18 March 2007, 04:59 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dont think its been pranged.........cat D due to stolen/ recovered.

I'd be more interested in Elmers myself but the blue one certainly seems to be a good price assuming he's disclosed everything.
Old 18 March 2007, 05:07 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

buy it ,,,for 12500 cant go wrong,,,evo's for sale if you want that,,,then i will buy the subaru

stu
Old 18 March 2007, 05:11 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I'd disagree with James. It may 'feel different because it's your baby...but physically if it's done properly then you won't notice..

If it's Cat D, was body damage only and was fixed properly, then there's no reason to worry.. If was suspension or engine bordering Class C then have a think.. Even a Class C can be fully OK if done properly, though the economic repair to sale value at this Cat may be a close call..

Here's the cat's for reference.

Category D
The least damage suffered of the four categories e.g. vehicles replaced under 'new for old' schemes, vehicles written-off to minimise hire charges.
The vehicle can be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs. Would include stolen / recovered..

Category C
Substantial damage, but repairable by an repairer or enthusiast. The vehicle can be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs.

Category B
Heavy damage e.g. bent chassis
The vehicle cannot be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs. However, the vehicle contains economically salvageable parts.

Category A
A 'total loss' e.g. burn-out. The only value is the scrap metal.
The vehicle cannot be safely and economically repaired either by the insurer / motor trade or by an enthusiast using cheaper parts and reduced labour costs and there are no economically salvageable parts.

Last edited by Alan C; 18 March 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 18 March 2007, 05:21 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

My dads car was classed as Cat D a few years ago. It was stolen and the insurers paid out but it was later recovered................

Not a scartch on it and only had a few extra miles on the clock. If the 55 plate is the same its a very good price. You could do with an experienced hand to make sure all is right panel wise etc.
Old 18 March 2007, 09:50 PM
JAKbauer24
Former Sponsor

Alan when i say there never right I mean mine is not the car it was alton did a superb job looks wise but there's alway's been a nagging noise comming from the wheels (suspension damage) .... and once its been in a smash then you always feel that when you put it to its limits is she going to be ok ......

plus the stigma of the car ... is it worth it you have to ask yourself mark.... some of the comments towards my car .. honestley tear me up from time to time and you know that if it has a background resale or as soon as something goes wrong with it and being a scoob it will then be prepared for the jives

My advice mark spend that little more and get your sen down to litchfields if i had your buget thats were i would be mate
Old 18 March 2007, 10:05 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i think its worth 70% of the market value of a normal(clean)car.there is nothing wrong with buying a cat d car if its been fixed properly but they are harder to sell