Notices
West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club (WYIOC) The official dedicated forum for West Yorkshire Impreza Owners Club.

Mmmm free internet.. cool!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2007, 10:01 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mmmm free internet.. cool!

One for Al this... Ok sat in my hotel right now room a bit bored with Zoo mag... so thought i know I'll snoop for some internet access ran a couple of snoopy programs and found no less than ten potential networks... great, a couple of tweaks and i'm live wehey how daft are some people... i'm now here smurfing around on someone's insecure wireless network... just goes to show how daft people are.. there's some houses over the road so suspect its a house over the road... there are 9 others available also
good job i'm a nice hacker

orf for a look at porkolt.com now...

secure your networks dudes!
Old 05 February 2007, 10:22 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Nice one Grasshopper...

Be careful though son.. there may be a honeypot out there... and don't go snooping Private IP's or you could end up in the cack...

We had a security manager (in another part of the world) who decided to hijack his neighbours AP (access point) to do some minor misappropriation of funds... got trace routed back through MAC addresses that he hadn't faked.. he's now spending some quality time in jail...

But you're right about people needing to secure their network.. I spent most of my time trying to get my business of the ground by alerting some BIG businesses around the Leeds area that they too were doing what your neighbours are doing now.. and these guys had 'proper' IT sections...

Still goes on now I'm afraid... people just won't learn.. I even gave them a nice screen print of their device and a quick run down of the faults.. with my business card attached of course... no bites from many people...

Unless they get bitten, then most simply don't understand or see the dangers...

But as Dazza says people.... turn your WPA encryption on as a minimum.. it's not hard to do and will give you a good first level of security

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
One for Al this... Ok sat in my hotel right now room a bit bored with Zoo mag... so thought i know I'll snoop for some internet access ran a couple of snoopy programs and found no less than ten potential networks... great, a couple of tweaks and i'm live wehey how daft are some people... i'm now here smurfing around on someone's insecure wireless network... just goes to show how daft people are.. there's some houses over the road so suspect its a house over the road... there are 9 others available also
good job i'm a nice hacker

orf for a look at porkolt.com now...

secure your networks dudes!
Old 06 February 2007, 12:24 AM
bgood
Scooby Regular

only got WEP on my WAP, it's too old for WPA, still it's locked down to MAC so hopefully should be ok
Old 06 February 2007, 12:49 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

I have no idea of what you guys are going on about other than hacking and free internet,
Old 06 February 2007, 12:52 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

WEP's good mate.. alongside the MAC address filtering.. It can still be cracked in an hour or less, but you have to have the tools, exploits and knowledge. TBH it really isn't worth the effort for your neighbours Internet connection... plus it would be illegal to go snooping on their PC..

However, I've seen some interesting things done at the airport to get on to the pay as you go WiFi connections...

Not attacking the AP, but the weak clients attached..

Cool stuff...

Make sure your AP Admin password is not default and you've got the strongest WEP setting along with a reasonable Firewall on the laptop plus all the various unused ports ports locked down.. reject anonymous calls and only have 1 IP allowed in the range... make sure your machine is fully patched too.. They are small things to deter someone sniffing and of various levels of benefit dependent upon your setup and knowledge.. Sniffers, war drivers and neighbours will quickly move on looking for the easy pickings / open / ad-hoc AP's.

Good site to visit to check that you're as Stealthy as can be is GRC.com try out the shields Up!! programme... let's you know what your Firewall is doing... Don't worry if it fails the test.. as long as the ports are stealth or closed, then you're fine for normal surfing..

A good book to get would be Wi-Foo.. by Dr Andrew Vladimirov & Constantin Gavrilenko... went to a great 5 day conference in Hungary and these guys blew me away...

If only I had a 10th of these guys ability.. the Wi-Foo site is also a good resource area for tools and tips...

Sorry Ali.. Dazza & Barry got me on to one of my favourite subjects..

Last edited by Alan C; 06 February 2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06 February 2007, 04:16 AM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Way ahead of ya there Al, been using shields up for quite some time, full stealth here
Old 06 February 2007, 05:37 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

nmap mate... Kissmet, netstumbler and aircrack... all you need... ;-)
Old 06 February 2007, 06:53 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

<Adult mode Off>

Aircrack.... teehee

<adult mode on>
Old 06 February 2007, 06:54 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

fuzzmuff works fine for me
Old 06 February 2007, 06:55 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Try out this new free product from Wildpackets mate.. Omni Peek from the makers of Airopeek

Not tried it yet, but will be giving it a whirl as a part of a survey toolkit...
Old 06 February 2007, 06:58 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

**Al goes of to look for the Fuzzmuff wireless hacking tool and realises he's been had**