Notices
West Mids Imprezas The Official Dedicated Forum For The West Mids Imprezas. A Charity Based Owners Club Based In & Around Birmingham / West Midlands.

Thinking about changing Hatchback..... Thoughts please! :)

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2011, 11:36 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about changing Hatchback..... Thoughts please! :)

hi guys,

using my scoob as a daily car is starting to take its toll with the cash, so ive got two options, pistonheads it (which i have, but at a price that only an enthusiast might pay) or swap....

So ive been banging out some emails to some trade companies that have scoobs for sale and I thought, coz i aint got the funds to just go get another car to use as a runaround and keep the hatch for weekends/meets, I couldsee if I can swap my hatch for a another scoob PLUS a run-around so I can get daily use. I could never get rid of scoobs altogether. The last time I done that, I didnt sleep properly for months! You know what I mean fellas, its an addiction.

Anywho, here's some details, I'd love to hear any thoughts on this (or ideas). Thanks!!!!!!

FIrst, the runaround:

Peugeot 206 1.4 16V Sport 5dr

and now the scoob.....

Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX STi Type UK Saloon 4d
2005 55k miles.... (baring in mind my hatch has 25k miles and its a year old....)

Old 11 January 2011, 12:39 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

the mpg in a peugeot is shocking. we had a 307 and was lucky to get 200 miles out of a £55.00 fill up.
what about a diesel as your runabout. slightly more in fuel but offset is more mpg. alternativley something like a toyota yaris /aygo- citreon c1, whilst they are not gonna break any speed records you cant argue over £35 tax a year. £35/£40 full tank of fuel which is good for about 300/350 miles per tank.
the wife has a fiat 500 and for a 1.2 it is pretty nipey and she can easy get 350 miles out of a full tank.
suppose its all down to how much you r getting as a trade in for yours.
i know how you feel as if i didnt just use mine for work i would be in the same situation and would have to look for alternative transport, i would even consider using public transport to get to work if it meant i get to keep the impreza.
Old 11 January 2011, 01:00 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

cheers jon. public transport isnt an alternative tho as i work 60 miles from home and my couple of hours of travelling would be doubled, tho im pretty shocked with the MPG on peugeots and even the C1. Driving off boost, ive got 312 miles out of my scoob. Maybe I should hang onto it! lol
Old 11 January 2011, 01:57 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

thats 52 miles more than i get out of mine and mines only a sport !!!!! is that motorways or just normal roads???
i really need to lay off the accelerator abit or reset the ecu
Old 11 January 2011, 02:37 PM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl, 60 miles to work, thats 120 miles a day, 600 miles a week, 30,000 miles a year. Keep the car and find a cheap runaround quickly. It will pay for itself quickly. Ive spent a year running around in a 206 1.4i. When I get my scooby back, I will still runaround in the 206 and save the scoob for weekend fun!
Old 11 January 2011, 03:27 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezajon
thats 52 miles more than i get out of mine and mines only a sport !!!!! is that motorways or just normal roads???
i really need to lay off the accelerator abit or reset the ecu

Thats on B roads mainly and a few A roads, only overtaking lorries or someone doing 40 in a 60. Keeping to speed limits but taking time to get to to the road limit (pi55es a lot of other drivers behind but **** them all lol.

Soon as the foot is down, 80mph will get me 24mpg, and i imagine coz of course i would never do such a thing () higher gets me down to 19-21mpg

Drive like an old fart and you'll get an extra tenner's worth of petrol per tank.
Old 11 January 2011, 03:33 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammer man
Carl, 60 miles to work, thats 120 miles a day, 600 miles a week, 30,000 miles a year. Keep the car and find a cheap runaround quickly. It will pay for itself quickly. Ive spent a year running around in a 206 1.4i. When I get my scooby back, I will still runaround in the 206 and save the scoob for weekend fun!
Sounds good to me. I need to do something about it. Bloody government and insurance companies are strangling us drivers.
Old 11 January 2011, 03:51 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
Sounds good to me. I need to do something about it. Bloody government and insurance companies are strangling us drivers.
2nd that. if they both keep going up it wont be worth going to work, might as well just sign on the dole have myself 10 kids and let then pay me for once.
Old 11 January 2011, 06:22 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Can you keep the hatch and get a cheap run around too........?
Old 11 January 2011, 07:03 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

FOUND ONE! Hatch aint going anywhere

Chevrolet halesowen are banging out 1.0LS (OMG!) Spark's for £140 a month, no deposit, no interest over 5 years and its £30 car tax and that gets paid for the 1st year. Good news is it averages 55-67mpg, so i'll be using the scoob for weekends and meets for a while i make savings of about 200 a month.

Just might take me 5 hours to get to and from work pmsl.

Thanks for your input guys, its all appreciated.
Old 11 January 2011, 07:12 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

With those miles id get myself a diesel if I were you. we've got a 1.9 CDTi SRI vectra and often see 60mpg when on motorway or national speed limit roads but it will return 30mpg figures around town (probably something to do with my lead foot). In the long run though it pays for itself in fuel savings

206 pugs are a nasty drive, I can barley use the pedals in one as the steering column actually pushes my foot out of the way when turning!

It would be sad to see the hatch go as you dont see many about but newage and classics are ten to the penny.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:06 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

thank god you are keeping it mate, i reckon once them stickers are off it will look even more the nuts
Old 12 January 2011, 08:58 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FOUND ONE! Hatch aint going anywhere

Chevrolet halesowen are banging out 1.0LS (OMG!) Spark's for £140 a month, no deposit, no interest over 5 years and its £30 car tax and that gets paid for the 1st year. Good news is it averages 55-67mpg, so i'll be using the scoob for weekends and meets for a while i make savings of about 200 a month.

Just might take me 5 hours to get to and from work pmsl.

Thanks for your input guys, its all appreciated.
Saving £200 a month,,,,, wont take long before you can modify again!
Old 12 January 2011, 10:06 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4D HK
thank god you are keeping it mate, i reckon once them stickers are off it will look even more the nuts

Will wait til the spring when its a bit warmer and aint chucking it down.
Old 12 January 2011, 10:07 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hammer man
Saving £200 a month,,,,, wont take long before you can modify again!

Ssssssssshhhhh
Old 12 January 2011, 10:09 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Will wait til the spring when its a bit warmer and aint chucking it down.

Once i get a 6-speed gearbox, exedy clutch, sc46 and <another> retune, I think i'll be happy then..... another 6 grand to go. lmao
Old 12 January 2011, 11:10 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

The news just keeps getting better and better.

Im currently insured for just under £800 for my scoob, with no mods.

Ive just had a quote from Gary @ Keith Michaels and its £650 WITH all the mods!!!!! thats made a big difference, mainly because of the drop in mileage I will be doing as opposed to using the scoob as a daily car to work.

£200 a year, nearly covers the insurance on the little run around.....
Old 12 January 2011, 02:49 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

£140 a month seems to be a lot to chuck at a cheap run around? Would it not have been easier and a lot cheaper to get yourself an old 306/406 Dturbo/HDI ?

Mind you nothing beats getting a new car..
Old 12 January 2011, 02:56 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

I did think about it, but there's the initial outlay: if buying outright, the full amount, then tax (which wouldnt be £30) plus insurance and whatever MPG I woud get out of a 306/406, which would be in the 40's, plus whatever crap interior is there as the car would have to be a banger (under a grand) and would probably be quite tatty.

this is a quick-win, with no outlay other than £30 on insurance, tax has been paid for for first year and is only £30, dont need to MOT for 3 years, 3 or 5 year warranty, change tyres for quite a while.

Even if I was to loan the money from the bank, Id be facing interest charges. Ive gone the step up to £160, and im having a 9500 car. I wont even get a direct debit taken out until end of february so i get a month of free motoring.

Every little helps! lmao
Old 13 January 2011, 08:21 PM
+j66 sub+
Scooby Regular

Get an old run around nice 407 diesel you swap or sell your car I'm gonna slap ya mate
Got an even better way pimp out Helen and keep the scoob good times then if she does well you can blast the car to work and back without a care as long as she give your the money PIMP !!!!!! lol
Old 15 January 2011, 11:36 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see your keeping it mate, was getting worried there for a minute lol
Old 17 January 2011, 12:50 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

nah. Gotta keep it!
Old 18 January 2011, 10:01 PM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

same reason im going to sell mate, did consider a run around myself and keeping the scoob, but the mileage i do, i want a nice mean run around, like an audi or beamer with all the creature comforts...etc
Old 19 January 2011, 09:05 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

booooooo !!!! lol. am keeping the scoob and getting a little run around mate. Even buying new (no deposit, no interest! try and get a loan with no interest!!!!) will keep the costs lower and just using my scoob for weekends/meets and special occasions. Got to save up for those mods you know!
Old 20 January 2011, 09:07 AM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by p.rite.sh
same reason im going to sell mate, did consider a run around myself and keeping the scoob, but the mileage i do, i want a nice mean run around, like an audi or beamer with all the creature comforts...etc
I know what you mean P. I loved all my previous scoobs, but not the rate at which they consumed money. Got myself a nice little hairdressers Audi Quattro Cab now instead. Slammed on a set of 19" BBS LM's, looks fat. Does 30 mpg round the town, and 40 on a run. Heated leather all the kit and amazing build quality. Its no scooby in the power department, but i can live with that and the insurance and running costs are soooo much cheaper. Has'nt got that scooby burble though,damn. But i can live with that.....for how long though, i dont know
Old 20 January 2011, 06:58 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

you need a scoob bud, im getting (off boost) 31.5mpg if i drive like a pensioner, but it still aint good enough for the mileage im doing, hence purchasing a 60mpg pram.