Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Red classic - A25 Dorking to Guildford

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2004, 06:14 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Red classic - A25 Dorking to Guildford

About 2:30 today - had a nice gentle play with the above. Thanks for the wave.

BTW, nice and polite little flame and pop from the exhaust on the over-run, but quite a bit of soot under heavy acceleration. Nothing serious I hope......
Old 29 March 2004, 12:18 PM
CLANDER
Scooby Regular

Hey Benjai,

Was good fun!

Bit concerned about your comment, so gonna stick a post in Technical to see if people know what's happening (as not that mechanical at all!). Fingers crossed it's nothing serious! Quite impressed at getting a flame, not sure how or why if happened, again hope this is usual to a degree?

See you at Newlands for the trip to Bolney on Apr 24th? (we can't make the Easter Surrey meet)

Chris.
Old 29 March 2004, 05:55 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Not sure about the 24th, or the Easter yet - hectic diary at the mo. Come to think of it not sure about much actually!

Anyway, a little more info in case it helps..... Only noticed the soot on the overtake just past the Wooton Hatch. Not sure if it happened on the dual carriageway at Newlands or not. I wouldn't say there was loads and loads, and it cleared before you changed gear, but there was certainly enough for something to be not quite right.

As some have already said in the technical forum, basically this is likely to be due to the motor running rich which means either too much fuel (unlikely) or too little air (more likely), specifically, less air than the motor thinks it is getting. This also explains the flame (which was only small) due to unburnt fuel in the exhaust. I would be checking for leaky turbo hoses. Either that or it was soot falling out of the exhaust (it was up hill!!!)

Since I can't imagine it is speed related, it should repeat while stationary. Time to get someone you trust to blip the throttle while you take a look, or a long stick with a shoe tied on the end!

Hope that helps and you get it sorted, and at least the smoke wasn’t white or blue which is generally more expensive.

BTW are you local, or just out and about for the day. I'm from the Dorking area.
Old 30 March 2004, 01:58 PM
CLANDER
Scooby Regular

Car does need a service and I think the turbo was blowing (?) a bit last time they looked at it, so I suppose I should get it looked at sooner rather than later!

We live in Carshalton, and was just bored so headed off for some A/B road fun. Though we're hopefully moving to rural Leicestershire in the not too distant future as I currently live and work up there during the week and head back south for weekends. You can beat a 30-minute drive to work on B-roads, no traffic and rolling hills!

If you can make Bolney in April that'd be a good day out, and not to mention a nice gentle convoy from Newlands!

Chris.