Notices
Was it you? Spotted another scooby? Find out if they're here. By popular demand, the "was it you" forum :-)

Harlyn surf school last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 04:05 PM
longdogs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey calssic wrx catching some waves.
Old 10 July 2003, 08:59 AM
Tom O
Scooby Newbie

That would be me, but unfortunately the sea was a bit flat to be catching many waves.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:16 AM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Question

Do either of you guys get out to the east coast at all - Cayton, Scarborough, Saltburn?
Old 10 July 2003, 10:35 AM
Tom O
Scooby Newbie

It was my first time surfing, but I definitely caught the bug and would love to do it more often - but Cornwall is just too far to go regularly. Didn't realise that the conditions were right on the east coast. Are there places to hire wetsuits and boards in Scarborough? - if so I'll definitely be making the trip.
Old 10 July 2003, 10:42 AM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Question

Don't know if its still there, but there was a place at the top of the car park at Cayton that used to hire, and I assume The Secret Spot in Scarborough does as well. Winter surf isn't too bad at the east coast, summer is a bit hit and miss.Not as big as the Atlantic swells down south west, but still good on occasions.
North Devon is the nearest place down the south west - Croyde and Woolacombe - but that'll still take you the thick end of 5 hrs door to door (even in ya scoob !).
Old 10 July 2003, 10:52 AM
Tom O
Scooby Newbie

Cheers, just done a search and discovered caytonbaysurfshop.co.uk which will sort us out. Will chat to the boys and get ourselves over there. I take it you are an accomplished surfer then?
Old 10 July 2003, 11:00 AM
longdogs
Scooby Regular

Been to Cayton bay a few times but never to surf usually just walk the dog if in scooby or have a brew if on bike. Tom O it was me asking if it was an STI or not. We caught the mini bus and left the car at the hostel otherwise you'd have seen us in an MY01. How bizare is that you went all the way from Manchester to cornwall and got spotted by sombody from near Leeds !

Trending Topics

Old 10 July 2003, 11:07 AM
Tom O
Scooby Newbie

We were booked in for 2 days tuition, Saturday and Sunday, but only managed Saturday morning before lessons were cancelled due to lack of surf. We hung around and had a lesson Monday morning before having to leave to get back for work on Tuesday. It was a wrench leaving Watergate Bay at lunchtime on Monday with the weather as good as it was. How did you get on in the afternoon?
Old 10 July 2003, 11:17 AM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Tom O - thats a feeling you will have to get used to I'm afraid M8. Nothing worse than a good day in the water then having to get back to work! You'll end up sitting out back at 8pm on a sunday night as the sun drops over the horizon knowing you have a 5hr drive home and it'll be ages 'till your back again.
Old 10 July 2003, 03:23 PM
longdogs
Scooby Regular

surf got bigger in the afternoon and the group was down to about 8, we'd booked tuesday off as well so stayed in the water untill about 4:15. Then drove to chedder for the evening. Must get sombody else to drive next time 800+ miles and two and a half tanks of gas !
I'm planing on going back next year and staying a bit longer to justify the drive.
Best leave work now and go pick up the pictures !