Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

induction kit

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2011, 11:03 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default induction kit

hi,im going front mount so will need a GOOD induction kit to fit direct to my car using oe intake pipe,car is a v4 1998 sti type r running orange label maf.
thanks.
Old 30 July 2011, 11:33 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 01 August 2011, 04:00 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

We can supply a HKS Super Power Flow Reloaded for £150 inc. VAT
Old 01 August 2011, 04:27 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

sorry,ive already sourced one now,thanks for the offer tho.
Old 03 August 2011, 01:46 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

bump still looking now.
any filter could possibly do as long as its a decent one as i can probably get an adaptor plate made.
Old 04 August 2011, 03:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi matey

you can do like i've done on friend car:Buy Green Cotton Universal Air filter(or K&N),buy MAF adapter(£12) and you can use your MAF tube and this will cost less than any induction kit available on market(in this i mean branded)

Jura
Old 04 August 2011, 04:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
hi matey

you can do like i've done on friend car:Buy Green Cotton Universal Air filter(or K&N),buy MAF adapter(£12) and you can use your MAF tube and this will cost less than any induction kit available on market(in this i mean branded)

Jura
thanks jura,i was taliking to my brother about this last night and he is a very good stainless steel welder/fabricator so we have decided to fit a hybrid front mount first,then make a custom pipe to come off the turbo intake pipe, which will be shorter than oe so it will give much more room to fit a larger universal filter by moving the maf approx 3" closer to the engine,im looking at the green cotton or k&n,going to take it all apart at the weekend so i can get an idea of the largest filter i can fit and order correct size as i will need it readily available as soon as fmic is fitted,my brother will make all custom pipework and custom adaptor to suit whichever filter i get.
love it when a plan comes together!
Old 04 August 2011, 05:19 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
thanks jura,i was taliking to my brother about this last night and he is a very good stainless steel welder/fabricator so we have decided to fit a hybrid front mount first,then make a custom pipe to come off the turbo intake pipe, which will be shorter than oe so it will give much more room to fit a larger universal filter by moving the maf approx 3" closer to the engine,im looking at the green cotton or k&n,going to take it all apart at the weekend so i can get an idea of the largest filter i can fit and order correct size as i will need it readily available as soon as fmic is fitted,my brother will make all custom pipework and custom adaptor to suit whichever filter i get.
love it when a plan comes together!
This plan is probably your best bet,universal filters are cheaper than any induction kit .

Looking forward for pics matey

Good luck

Jura
Old 04 August 2011, 08:11 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

This plan is probably your best bet,universal filters are cheaper than any induction kit .

Looking forward for pics matey

Good luck

Jura
can u recommend the best places for buying a universal filter? the only place i can find is demon tweeks as they list all dimensions/measurements of filters.do you know of any others mate?
Old 04 August 2011, 08:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

can u recommend the best places for buying a universal filter? the only place i can find is demon tweeks as they list all dimensions/measurements of filters.do you know of any others mate?
Hi matey have look on this,great prices for K&N filters

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1110-kn-...e-filters.aspx

Jura
Old 04 August 2011, 08:35 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Hi matey have look on this,great prices for K&N filters

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1110-kn-...e-filters.aspx

Jura
thanks again jura,always helping people!
Old 04 August 2011, 10:24 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

thanks again jura,always helping people!

Jura
Old 04 August 2011, 10:45 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have I got this right - Are you hoping to use something like this K&N and doing away with the air box (keeping the MAF)?

If so, the intake air will be heated from under bonnet temps, negating much, if not most of the advantage of your front mount

If I've this wrong tell me to foxtrot
Old 04 August 2011, 11:15 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Have I got this right - Are you hoping to use something like this K&N and doing away with the air box (keeping the MAF)?

If so, the intake air will be heated from under bonnet temps, negating much, if not most of the advantage of your front mount

If I've this wrong tell me to foxtrot
yes,thats my exact intentions,as ive been advised to fit a front mount by my mapper,and by doing this you cannot keep the oe airbox,he also said ill have to have an induction kit(due to the fmic pipework) and to run a cold feed to the filter,like the one you pictured above.....am i missing something here?
Old 04 August 2011, 11:16 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

and keeping the orange maf.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:30 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Although mine is newage, I had a few issues fitting the FMIC with a CAI at first, but managed to work around it eventually with some imaginative fecking around

I later changed to HKS CAI but it was a very tight fit due to the sheer circumference of the filter, and still is a tight fit after some messing, but it does get plenty of cold air feed

Anyway I have a spare cone filter in the shed that I can let go if you like, not sure on brand or size yet.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 04 August 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:36 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

it should be ok as we will be designing the intake set up beforehand and using custom adaptor/pipe if needed.
could be interested in the cone filter depending on size/brand/condition etc.

why has bonesetter said the above? what other options are there when fitting a front mount as i have no idea???
Old 04 August 2011, 11:56 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

it should be ok as we will be designing the intake set up beforehand and using custom adaptor/pipe if needed.
could be interested in the cone filter depending on size/brand/condition etc.

why has bonesetter said the above? what other options are there when fitting a front mount as i have no idea???

You can run a inner wing CAI, I did this but as im not a wizard with pipe bending I couldnt get the FMIC & CAI pipework to all fit in the inner wing.

Inner wing CAI will dramatically drop the temps, but as said^ im now in the engine bay with my induction with 3.5" air duct from the fog, and using the slam panel duct, so when im moving im going to be getting extremely cool temps, and when im stood in traffic i intend on heatproof partitioning the turbo from the CAI as showwn in the above pic, and I also have a bonnet scoop, so I should be fine.

Pic to follow, just robbed it off another member

Last edited by Rob Day; 04 August 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:58 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Old 05 August 2011, 12:04 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i will be running a 3" flexi pipe somewhere from the front bumper to the filter,is it best to have the filter fitted inside inner wing?
obviously with the filter and fmic pipework running through there i would have to see if that is possible,if not the filter will have to be located in engine bay as pictured by bonesetter with a cold feed going to it and maybe a custom cover over/around filter to stop some/most of the engine heat getting to it?
i though i had it all planned out and bonesetter has fooked that
cant understand why he has said the above when "his" set up is the same as what we have planned to do!
Old 05 August 2011, 12:10 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about this,better option don't exist,every option have minus or plus.
With CAI you will be limited size of cone,if you are going up to 450bhp+,CAI will be limited.
With in bay option you can suffer with heat soak to your bay(which can be negated with something like is it cold air feed and shield),but still will be better than slanty old OE TMIC(on classic i mean) and OE airbox.

Jura
Old 05 August 2011, 12:21 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about this,better option don't exist,every option have minus or plus.
With CAI you will be limited size of cone,if you are going up to 450bhp+,CAI will be limited.
With in bay option you can suffer with heat soak to your bay(which can be negated with something like is it cold air feed and shield),but still will be better than slanty old OE TMIC(on classic i mean) and OE airbox.

Jura
only planning to run 300- 320 ish, as im staying with oe 440s,oe headers and wont be using a fuel pressure regulator etc,mapper has advised to put a fmic on to keep the charge temps alot lower than my sti 4 tmic.(mainly for safety on new engine)
dont want to exceed 320 as want to keep my gearbox from breaking,spent out alot of cash building engine and just thought ill get these couple bits done before its mapped,as im only running 1 bar boost atm as on running in map.
surely, fitting the front mount,then getting the biggest universal filter in engine bay with a 3" air feed to it is the way to go??? or not?
Old 05 August 2011, 12:30 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

only planning to run 300- 320 ish, as im staying with oe 440s,oe headers and wont be using a fuel pressure regulator etc,mapper has advised to put a fmic on to keep the charge temps alot lower than my sti 4 tmic.(mainly for safety on new engine)
dont want to exceed 320 as want to keep my gearbox from breaking,spent out alot of cash building engine and just thought ill get these couple bits done before its mapped,as im only running 1 bar boost atm as on running in map.
surely, fitting the front mount,then getting the biggest universal filter in engine bay with a 3" air feed to it is the way to go??? or not?
Yes i way to go,as your mapper suggest due safety reasons,i would go same as you.

Jura
Old 05 August 2011, 07:40 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

It's all about air charge temps and keeping these as low as possible. ACT's will of course be dependent on what you're sucking in at the front and an under bonnet feed will always be warmer.

I had my engine remapped on Tuesday with the above set-up. We put a temp probe on the filter cone which read 51° and ACT's were up around lowish 40°. We saw these ACT temps with my paltry old style WRX top mount.

TBF the rolling road we used was a little compromised as it sits in the corner of a garage with no ventilation, so we were recirculating the warm air, added to this it was a very warm day (ambients were prolly ~27°)

The arrangement I have pictured is compromised as the shielding is made of aluminium and conducts very well the engine temps. Made of something like carbon fibre and fitting all the way up to the bonnet would be better. Other thing I've done is removed the rubber strip off the front edge of the bonett and unscrewed the fitting lug to open the gap between the headlight letting more air in this way. I have a pipe from the front corner of the bumper which I have opened up some more.

I'll get back with some more later...
Old 05 August 2011, 03:09 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

It's all about air charge temps and keeping these as low as possible. ACT's will of course be dependent on what you're sucking in at the front and an under bonnet feed will always be warmer.

I had my engine remapped on Tuesday with the above set-up. We put a temp probe on the filter cone which read 51° and ACT's were up around lowish 40°. We saw these ACT temps with my paltry old style WRX top mount.

TBF the rolling road we used was a little compromised as it sits in the corner of a garage with no ventilation, so we were recirculating the warm air, added to this it was a very warm day (ambients were prolly ~27°)

The arrangement I have pictured is compromised as the shielding is made of aluminium and conducts very well the engine temps. Made of something like carbon fibre and fitting all the way up to the bonnet would be better. Other thing I've done is removed the rubber strip off the front edge of the bonett and unscrewed the fitting lug to open the gap between the headlight letting more air in this way. I have a pipe from the front corner of the bumper which I have opened up some more.

I'll get back with some more later...
maybe by getting a filter which has an open end simlar to apexi power intake will improve this as air can also flow through the centre of filter rather than just the sides as the cold air intake pipe can be directed straight to the end of filter?
Old 05 August 2011, 03:20 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

^ Good point. I don't know about those kind in respect of air flow (the mushroom kind for example create swirling and are not generally well regarded)

What I have been doing since Tuesday's RR session is after some harder driving suddenly stopping, jumping out and feeling the cone filter temperature. As this car is not a daily I've only checked this once since, on Thursday late evening when the outside air had a slight nip in it. Filter was quite cool, as was the return pipe from the IC - which of course is directly under the bonnet scoop... al of which I took to be good news

Thing to do would be cut into the thermometer near the throttle body with bring a gauge through to the engine bay and monitor ACT's...
Old 05 August 2011, 03:38 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

^ Good point. I don't know about those kind in respect of air flow (the mushroom kind for example create swirling and are not generally well regarded)

What I have been doing since Tuesday's RR session is after some harder driving suddenly stopping, jumping out and feeling the cone filter temperature. As this car is not a daily I've only checked this once since, on Thursday late evening when the outside air had a slight nip in it. Filter was quite cool, as was the return pipe from the IC - which of course is directly under the bonnet scoop... al of which I took to be good news

Thing to do would be cut into the thermometer near the throttle body with bring a gauge through to the engine bay and monitor ACT's...

something like this i think will be a solution/better option????
it should help get more cold air into filter.
Old 05 August 2011, 03:42 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

something like this i think will be a solution/better option????
it should help get more cold air into filter.
Is that different to mine - post #13 above?
Old 05 August 2011, 03:43 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Is that different to mine - post #13 above?
yes as air can flow through he centre of the filter,yours is capped off on the end.
Old 05 August 2011, 03:46 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i think we will probably shorten the maf pipe so we can fit a much LARGER filter in there and use one like the above,i think that will work a treat!

Quick Reply: induction kit