Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Rotated set up

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2009, 02:57 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotated set up

HI GUYS im after a rotated pipe work set up for a classic std garret fitment
Old 26 December 2009, 06:06 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 27 December 2009, 05:20 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 28 December 2009, 09:29 AM
hookie
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 28 December 2009, 09:47 AM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

make one from the standard setup u have u would need to cut downpipe at an angle obviously or install a bend at the bellmouth , ebay sell flanges to weld onto ur older pipes but u would need a s/s up-pipe and downpipe even disimalar welding rods for tig and stick dont hold cast to s/s very well better to have some do it even at a custom exhaust shop if u buy the flanges ? as a twisted setup are quite expensive even second hand , just an idea mate ?
Old 28 December 2009, 11:19 AM
hookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johngoulding
make one from the standard setup u have u would need to cut downpipe at an angle obviously or install a bend at the bellmouth , ebay sell flanges to weld onto ur older pipes but u would need a s/s up-pipe and downpipe even disimalar welding rods for tig and stick dont hold cast to s/s very well better to have some do it even at a custom exhaust shop if u buy the flanges ? as a twisted setup are quite expensive even second hand , just an idea mate ?
Yea that was my next option just seen if there was any about ....av you done one your self?????.andy
Old 28 December 2009, 11:25 AM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

1nce mate , its not terribly hard although im a welder fabricator to trade the consumables are quite expensive eg welding rods etc which is why ur better to go to a fab shop or sumfin basically sum 1 who dont know how much it costs for a rotated setup lol.

mark ur downpipe at an angle on ur original downpipe and get sum1 to apply a flange and a bend at that angle measure the an=gle then have the top off the uppipe cut of and a new flange welded on at the apropriate angle , then weld up , the hardest part i would say is the setting up then the plumbing for the turbo . could maybe pm u a home made diagram if u like ?

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2009, 11:25 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

make one from the standard setup ?

I think you would have to be a magiciam to make a rotated set out of the normal up and downs. It would be easier to buy the stainless steel and make it from fresh.

I may have my setup for sale?? it will be everything apart from the turbo, but thats a good thing as you will be able to choose the turbo you want. the pipes are all lateral performance and the wastegate was bought from ZEN.

up pipe, downpipe, screamer pipe, 38mm turbosmart wastegate and groupe s headers all wrapped in DEI exhaust wrap.
Old 28 December 2009, 11:54 AM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

make one if u want mate as i said im a weld / fab to trade for stag steel aand i know the hassle in making s/s from scratch !
Old 28 December 2009, 11:56 AM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

bit rough with doing it on paint but you get the principal , obviously a screamer pipe would also ned to be added to vta via the uppipe.
post ur comments if any good 4 u ? diy way of doing it but the easiest for people who want to try and do it themeselves with not a lot of work and not much funds using existing parts eg stainless up and down pipe ?
Old 28 December 2009, 11:57 AM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

you could vent the screamer back into the downpipe but a bit harder and more work and materials
Old 28 December 2009, 12:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

the down pipe and up pipes are totally different shapes and sizes to the units you have posted
Old 28 December 2009, 02:18 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

look on rcm's website mate even fep confirmed that most of the downpipe and uppipe are standard sized the length changes due to the extension for the twist listen mate made 1 before and had advice from someone who makes them when i done it and it turned out brilliant apart from we left the welds in place ? know u prob want to sell urs which i would suggest to any 1 to buy if there not confident on making one , i work with steel for a living so isnt a problem for me and btw i know there different shapes that is why i said to cut the parts that dont match the twisted setups and as i said i have done one before and it turned out great but as u suggest if uve not got that much experience with fabricating stainless , which is hard btw , then buy a s/h one lol
Old 28 December 2009, 02:29 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

just a note that not all twisted setup's are the same shape ? the pipes can vary in length or position ? depends on what ur fitting , people like rcm etc make them for a living so if u urself have knowledge of working with stainless then whats stopping you from doing it too ? im sure ul get more cred makin it urself than just buying one plus it cost less than half the price which is the major thing ? some people have there turbos at the front of the car , does that mean the man who dun it is an absolute genius , no , it means he knows how to weld and cut stainless steel ? obviously there are restrictions as to the angles that are made for positive/smooth airflow bore size etc but when utilising the standard parts that gives u a good base to start with .

but if you dont have a clue then i do STRONGLY suggest that u dont even attempt this and buy a new or s/h one , just tryin to help out stevebt wouldnt post this info if i had not done it before myself and as for the guide i said it was a ROUGH idea and not exact , its just to give an idea on what u would have to do ? u sound like sum1 that doesnt attempt their own fab work , just gives some 1 else the job , if i worked for zen u probably wouldnt be posting saying that ive basically not got a clue believe me mate , nothings impossible
Old 28 December 2009, 02:57 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

and btw u could even make it from the standard up and downs as long as u had cast iron bends which u can buy from brown and gleg and use dissimliar and cast welding rods and dissimilar materials , stainless is only used due to its strength , flow carachteristics and weight so obviously a cast twisted setup would be pretty heavy also cast is a lot more prone to craking especially when put under intense heat and even moreso when a weld is pressent but thats not to say u need to be a magician , it just means you need to know how to work with cast ? people turn diahatsu charades into turbos using the impreza td04 turbo with a cast manifold with a stainless adapter plate wich is welded on using disimilar rods and they use the stock actuator pressure of 0.5 bar remembering that the compression ratio of these engines mean that 0.5 bar feels like a lot , were they magicians , i think one of them may even be a tramp from poland lol JOKING but you get the idea mate , i am only tryin to help the guy out and save him money , obviously the perfect way would be to buy a premade one like u have , thats obvious , but please dont diss people whove tried and tested it as this is like calling the pope a prodie lol cheers for the small argument on the topic anyway my bp's went up that high from the doubt you have of me that i feel high lol !!
Old 28 December 2009, 03:01 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

how much u wanting for ur twisted setup anyway u never mentioned maybe i would have just said BUY HIS !! ( if it was reasonably priced ) to save hassle of metioning this to the guy ?
Old 28 December 2009, 03:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

please dont diss people whove tried and tested it as this is like calling the pope a prodie lol cheers for the small argument on the topic anyway my bp's went up that high from the doubt you have of me that i feel high lol !!
????? and where have I done this? I'll just sell mine normally when there off the car
Old 28 December 2009, 05:22 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

im very tuchy mate lol u may not have been disin me as i said , what i meant was im no magician and i done it quite easy . people need to try things , not enough people do and end up givin up with the idea in the first place due to cost reasons where as if they did it themeselves u save mega , and more than less u never get ur money back as u would probably know better than me due to u selling the rotated kit for probably less than u got it for . sorry , i get wound up easily
Old 28 December 2009, 05:41 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hookie
HI GUYS im after a rotated pipe work set up for a classic std garret fitment
I would suggest you PM Steve as his set up is perfect, the only thing that needs done is the screamer pipe taken back to the downpipe unless you are happy to run with an open screamer pipe. His set up has everything you need and I can personally vouch for this set up as I know its history and almost bought it myslef as the price was very reasonable considering it came with the wastegate as well, only a change of direction stopped me buying it
Old 30 December 2009, 08:05 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 30 December 2009, 08:47 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Not sure why you havnt looked at Stevebt's set up these set ups are like rocking horse s*** the only reason he still has it is because he hasnt advertised it
There are not an infinate number of ways to do this as the position of the whole set up is determined by the small area that the turbo has to sit in. No matter how it is done the downpipe will always be very similar in most set ups as will the uppipe. Where some people get creative is where they take the wastegate tap off from and whether it is left vented to atmoshere or routed back into the downpipe.

Last edited by Arch; 30 December 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 31 December 2009, 09:56 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Arch, his turbo is a normal subaru fitment so buying mine wouldn't help him. He wants to rotate a standard subaru fitment gt3076, probably a slowboy racing one??

Last edited by stevebt; 31 December 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 31 December 2009, 05:45 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

owen hybred mate
Old 31 December 2009, 07:03 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Arch, his turbo is a normal subaru fitment so buying mine wouldn't help him. He wants to rotate a standard subaru fitment gt3076, probably a slowboy racing one??
Ah now i understand bit slow on the uptake
Old 31 December 2009, 08:25 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

yea just wona get the full potential out of the turbo everything else is all there now just dotting the Is and crossing the Ts....Had it mapped by Zen and not 100% with the out come
Old 01 January 2010, 05:13 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Just seems a shame to spend the premium on a standrd fit turbo then go to the trouble of rotating it anyway. T3 flanged Garretts sell 2nd hand for a bit less than standard position varients because there is a bit of hassle with the pipe work. Having said that cant fault the logic in rotating it.
Old 01 January 2010, 09:25 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

got things a bit better iv made a 90 deg 70mm intake bend off the maf into a 70mm hose to 76mm into turbo hense makeing air flow better....the elbo on the original samco pipe was weak and must av been sucking in on high boost....
Old 01 January 2010, 11:55 PM
hookie
Scooby Regular

ttta
Old 03 January 2010, 10:15 AM
hookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hookie
ttta
AND AGAIN