Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Honda CR 250 road bike wanted

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2002, 11:52 AM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an italian company HM MOTO who convert
Honda CR 250 moto X bikes for road use, the end
product known as the CRE 250. I want to get a
new one, does anyone know an importer in the UK?

Thanks,
Brendan.
Old 29 January 2002, 07:41 PM
Gixerman
Scooby Regular

Try 'Trials & Motorcross Weekley' as all the main dealers advertise there and also you'll usually find a few second hand ones.

Must admit I haven't bought a copy for a year or so but worth a try!

Tony.

ps....ENJOY!
Old 29 January 2002, 07:42 PM
slimshady
Scooby Regular

brendan,

looked into this myself, not cheap (poor fuel range + pre-mixing oil),decided that i would be better with hondas new 4 stoke, or the yz or wr yamaha , still undecided though. and no i have not heard of this company.

slim
Old 29 January 2002, 08:55 PM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

Join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Supermoto/ and ask there someone will know !!

andyjd
Old 30 January 2002, 11:55 AM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them all!
Old 30 January 2002, 12:07 PM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

I found this on the web somewhere or other. Their url is www.hmmoto.it (sorry, can never remember how to link properly on this bbs).

I reckon that by the time I've fitted a lighting coil, speedo, sprockets, sidestand and got a base CR 250 registered that there won't be much change from £800. So I want to at least compare the cost of the CRE vs. the DIY option.

As for WR426/CRF450, I've got an emotional attachment to the CR as I used to ride one 20 years ago!

From the web:

CRE 250 Enduro The CRE 250 is kind of the oddball of the bunch. It's essentially a Honda CR250 but fitted with an off-road conversion kit offered by CRE Imports in East Wareham, Massachusetts. Former National Enduro Champion Kevin Hines imports the kits that are built in Italy by a company called HM Original. Here's how it works: If you want a new 1996 CRE 250, you give CRE a call and they'll pull a brand-new CR250 out of a crate and assemble it with the CRE conversion kit, which includes a heavier 14-ounce flywheel, a lighting coil with wiring harness, voltage regulator, a headlight with high-low-beam switch, a brake-light switch, horn and mirror, an Acerbis rear enduro fender with a DOT-approved taillight, a rear subframe assembly with a grab handle and helmet lock, Acerbis radiator shrouds with CRE graphics, an Acerbis plastic silencer with spark arrestor, an ISDE centerstand, rear footpeg mounts, and a 47-tooth rear sprocket. The folks at CRE will also ask you questions about your specific needs, such as what kind of riding you do, what skill level you are, where you live, and so on. Then they'll send the suspension components to Factory Connection in New Hampshire, and they'll dial in the suspension to your specific needs by revalving both the fork and rear shock. Once CRE gets the suspension components back, they'll crate the bike back up and ship it directly to your house, or, if you want, to your local shop. And the cost? Well, as you might expect, it isn't cheap. A brand-new CRE 250 will set you back $6425 plus shipping. To give you an idea, CRE says it costs approximately $170 to ship a bike from Massachusetts to California. CRE also says that it takes approximately one week from the time you order the bike to the time it arrives on your front doorstep. If you already own a CR, you can still purchase CRE conversion kits for your bike. The kits are available for most 1989 and later Honda CR125, 250 and 500cc motocrossers. Prices vary.
Old 30 January 2002, 07:06 PM
slimshady
Scooby Regular

hmm brendan,

must admit it sounds professional enough ! thinking of buying a 'crosser soon as ive got the bug again.if u do decide to go down this route keep me informed (pics aswell!) ,as you know no machine on earth can give you as much a buzz as a cr coming out of a bend or pulling away from a standstill; i luv my pro-drive scooby , but cr's are on another planet.

slim

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2002, 09:42 AM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

slimshady - will do. I'm going to phone HM up today as I've not been able to track down an importer. There are quite a few of these things going 2nd hand, how to they get here?
Old 31 January 2002, 12:44 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Brendan
I have been doing motocross, enduro's, green laning for years know and have converted a CR250 for a cousin of mine for road use.
CR250 motocrosser's are relatively cheap to buy in comparison with some road going enduro bikes, I fitted a lighting coil, wiring loom, front and back lights, brake switches, horn, handlebar switchgear, and sidestand for approximately £350.
To register for a number plate i needed a get proof of year of manufacture from Honda, and an MOT.
What you end up with is a very light and capable enduro bike which is ideal for racing. However there are some disadvantages;
The gearbox is close ratio and even though we change the front and back sprockets to higher the gearing it is no match for a wide ratio 6 speed box, (reving its guts out on the road, and slipping the clutch in first off road if you gear it up for road use).
Limited range on a tank of fuel can also be a problem and having to carry a bottle of two-stroke mix around for fill ups can be a pain too.
All said, i converted a CR500 for myself and had 2 years of trouble free enjoyment.

It really depends on what you intend to use the bike for.