Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

Info on Extra Instrument Pods

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2001, 12:27 AM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

James

For a factory look, get the auxiliary digital gauge housing (order from dealer) this is a bracket assemby and matching cowling which sits in place of the storage bin. I think this looks better than these carbon-effect things that look ridiculous sitting on the dash area.

For matching gauges I went for the a VDO set which although are black faced, they have white numerals which let the illumination show through. Use the green cloured filter that comes with them and voila.

Alternatively use Racetech gauges but the illumunation is from the periphery of the face. Or use some of those single or dual digital gauges founf in the Demon Tweeks catalogue. Analogue are more traditional. These are all 52mm so will sit three abreast. The only bit you will have to work on is the face plate to hold the gauges in the pod. Mine took a couple of hours make from heavy duty foamex and some dreaded self-adhesive carbon-effect Fablon. Once the gauge holes are cut there is only a bit on show facing you.

Got some photos somewhere....not to everyones taste but there are some expensive horrors out there (£100 plus for a pod/cowl) whilst the Subaru one is about £60. The gauges are extra mind.

Funny mine is 99 Turbo as well.

Mail me for more details etc. etc.

There is no best kit, since it is what you prefer, if you buy cheapo gauges then the calibrations may be dodgy and the needles could dance all over the place. The best turbo gauges are glycerine filled an ususlly bigger than 52mm. I have never had problems with Racetech, Smiths or VDO.

What gauges do you want to fit ?
Old 19 June 2001, 11:51 AM
James Auckland
Scooby Regular

Question

Can anyone help...?
I'm wanting to fit an instrument pod in place of the storage bin on top of my my99 turbo. The current dails are back lit green on white dials. Is there a kit which matches these?
Which is the best kit, dial combo, and one where the needle doesn't flicker around like a mosquito on heat!!!
Help would be greatly appreciated.
James
Old 19 June 2001, 07:44 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

James,

Check out the interior forum. There's a thread on this in there

Karlos
Old 19 June 2001, 10:46 PM
James Auckland
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thanks guys for the info.

Karlos...
Checked out the link in question, most helpful. Chiark has done a great job in passing on his knowledge. Cheers

stv555...
Thanks for the reply. After looking through related links I'm swaying towards the Scooby Mania pod (dealer one would have been nice but I don't fancy hacking at my dash)!! I've seen the DEFI guages they look the business, however they're expensive. Is there any which look as good (seem to match the dash display the best) which are available? Which info am I best displaying? Are there any good digital ones?
You mentioned the VDO guages, do they come with an option of white faces and do you have any pics?
Yours Inquisitively
James
:eek no body expects the spanish inquisition)
Old 20 June 2001, 09:11 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

James,

You can see on the site what I went for. Seems a common choice - oil pressure for when something's wrong, oil temp for when to cane it, and boost for the hell of it

I'm local to you, so if you want to see the GGR pod "in the flesh" let me know.

I've seen the scoobymania pod and would recommend it above the others

Nick.
Old 20 June 2001, 06:41 PM
James Auckland
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick, what do you think about the DEFI guages?, are they back lit like the dash instruments, or illuminated from the perimeter? How easy are they to fit, seen as it took me about 3hrs to fit the SS Cibie lights!!!!!!

I'd like to see your kit (...oooer missus!! :eek , fancy meeting up?

Cheers James.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Defi gauges? Ooh yes. They're now only around twice the price of my Autometer setup thanks and they're the pup's parts.

Fitting should be easy for boost and oil pressure as I believe the oil pressure has the right thread for the Subaru block.

Oil temperature? Will have to check and let you know, but I think the oil pressure may be combined with temperature.

Drop me a mail re: meeting up as everything's working now - I wired up the oil temperature thing last night.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 21 June 2001, 10:21 PM
James Auckland
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nick..You've got mail. James