Notices
Wanted Tell us what you're looking for and someone here is very likely to be able to help you find it.

****HELP SOLVE THIS****

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2003, 07:38 PM
Dave C.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ive got a 96 classic wrx (import) and have just purchased a scorpian exhaust from turbo back i did tell the supplier that it was a import and was told it would fit when system arrived it had a hole at the top of down pipe for lamba (uk cars) this we blanked off on my car there is a heat probe on the bottom of down pipe after the cat i was told that i cauld unplug this as i did not need this so can someone confirm that this is ok to do !!!!
We fiited the system today and it made a big improvement (cant wait to scare the life out of my WIFE !!!) but im still concerned about this heat probe..

Cheers Dave..
Old 18 April 2003, 09:34 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it's there for a reason
Old 18 April 2003, 10:02 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
No problems unplugging it. It's a cat temp sensor which puts a light up on the dash if the cat gets too hot. But as the cat isn't there no problem. It's only for a warning light anyway.
Old 19 April 2003, 01:47 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

james is right it only lights a bulb in the dash and has no feed back to the ECU as far as i know..!!

Dan
Old 20 April 2003, 05:47 PM
Dave C.
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps for your advice...

Dave..
Old 20 April 2003, 06:19 PM
wrxrob
Scooby Regular

can you not relocate it in the hole at the top of the down pipe?im thinking of doing my dp but am put off for the same reason?egt sensor must be there for some reason and it does go to the ecu as it is desplayed on my tectom display
Old 20 April 2003, 06:48 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Why relocate it..???? If you have not CAT, why have a 'CAT temperature sensor' which is what it is..!!! All it does is warn you if the CAT is overheating and if you have the sensor there all the time without a CAT then it will overheat very easily as there is no CAT to take up the exhaust gas heat, and you may get the light coming on all the time.
Old 20 April 2003, 07:27 PM
wrxrob
Scooby Regular

just from an ecu point of view,would it cause any problems in my experience removing sensors just causes problems,and the exhaust will actually run cooler because the cat is what produces all the heat pushing the gases through the honeycomb core.
if you can, get a car on a ramp at running temp and measure the various temps of each part of the exhaust i will put money you wont get your hand or test probe any where near the cat.
Old 20 April 2003, 07:45 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

The CAT absorbs heat from the exhaust gasses flowing through it... so if you remove this and have the gasses flowing straight over a sensor im sure it will overheat pretty quick..

Dan
Old 20 April 2003, 08:02 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

The sensor is a 'CAT on fire' sensor, when you remove the cat you remove the sensor.
If you have no cat then it will not be on fireD
It is not a closed loop system so the ecu does not need it.

IIRC the only reason the ecu has a signal from it is if the Cat does set on fire it shuts the engine down.

Do not confuse this with normal use of an EGT sensor, it is more of a switch type sensor... it is off until activated, it does not take readings in between..

Rob