New car for me ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2012, 09:19 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up New car for me ;-)

Had a great stroke of luck this week and found a replacement car, I have had nothing particular on my mind it was an open book in which direction to go in here and as it was not necessarily going to be another Subaru and earlier in the week I stumbled upon a V2 STI RA and it looked a little gem and it's only mod was a dump valve and the garage selling it just fitted a de cat down pipe as the OEM one on there had a hole rusted in it.... Baring in mind it's 17 years old it lasted well plus they found the clutch was slipping a little so they dropped a new one in as well. Also there is a folder full of paperwork for servicing work plus mot's etc so there is a great paper trail for standard work carried out on the car.

First job is for Andy at Ace to give it the once over plus change the timing belt and tensioners and then I know where I am to start as I have a receipt from the last belt change and its in the window of time.

Spec of the car is as follows....

It's a 1995 car on an M plate.
Mileage shows 149 km and there's tons of paperwork to back it up as genuine, it's still reading km now plus still fitted with limiter.

Close Ratio gearbox
Carbon Strut Brace
5th Injector
Roof Vent
Driver Controlled Center Diff [DDCD]
Closed Deck Block
Quickshift
Intercooler Waterspray
Quick Steering Rack
Nardi Steering Wheel
No Rear Wiper
Wind Up Windows
Central Locking
Air Con

I've got some work to do and I'm looking forward to it as I've realised I have missed tinkering, I'm not modding this as such my initial thoughts are "refurbish" "refresh" "restore" the 3 R's and there will be no face lift at all and the yellow indicators etc will stay as to many limited edition cars have simply disappeared into the crowd so this will be staying as it is, there's no underseal at all it's bare painted steel so what I do underneath is an open book plus I do plan on refurbishing all suspension components and new bushes in time.

I'll do some of my own pictures when I can and start a project thread this time I think, I'll be keeping my eyes open now for a few bits I need one important one being a HKS HiPower Silent exhaust like I had fitted on the old classic. To say the car was a bit loud at the moment would be an understatement

How does that look to you all peeps

Simon

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 23 December 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 23 December 2012, 09:37 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a minter....

Had 2 RA's myself, great cars.....Please dont start adding side skirts and a front splitter, RA's are meant to be naked...
Old 23 December 2012, 09:43 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jayallen
Looks a minter....

Had 2 RA's myself, great cars.....Please dont start adding side skirts and a front splitter, RA's are meant to be naked...
Thanks Jay and I could not agree more.... This will stay as the model intended, wheels will change to 17's and I am going to look at what best to do with the brakes as they are not the best really but visually no skirts no splitter and no high spoiler plus no de tango. To many limited edition models disappear visually in a crowd of same old same.... Time to go back and enhance on what's there

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 23 December 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 23 December 2012, 09:49 AM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayallen
Looks a minter....

I think it's Simons plan to keep it OEM, less is more with these cars

It's a cracker, on a test drive along some B roads it performed very well indeed

Until he swaps that zorst you will here him coming for sure

Great find Simon
Old 23 December 2012, 10:54 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Thanks Jay and I could not agree more.... This will stay as the model intended, wheels will change to 17's and I am going to look at what best to do with the brakes as they are not the best really but visually no skirts no splitter and no high spoiler plus no de tango. To many limited edition models disappear visually in a crowd of same old same.... Time to go back and enhance on what's there
Welcome back. Good shout Si.
Old 23 December 2012, 11:00 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

looks a cracker Si

as said, brakes and bigger wheels would look so much better
Old 23 December 2012, 11:19 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers guys a big thanks to Kev for helping me yesterday.

Thanks Ian I'm very pleased here I know it sounds a bit cliché but I had no plan at all when I sold the new age but I knew when I came accross a car that inspired me I would know and when I happened on this I realised this was not to be ruled out and that with some work it could be a great project car to take on.

Your right Danny, I've already got a set of 17's lined up without tyres plus I have not ruled out the brembo route again I'll be doing a little brake research as well to see what's about at what price, I've actually got a pair of new front oem discs here already that I picked up a while ago. There are 4 pots on the front and the sliding calipers design on the rear but I need to decide what's the best under body route to take first before adding refurbed parts on the car.

Trending Topics

Old 23 December 2012, 11:25 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Back already.
Looks a great car, i couldnt be subaru less for long either.
Old 23 December 2012, 11:52 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Well done Simon, you've picked up a really rare car there - one that hasn't been butchered to high heaven.

I look forward to seeing it at the meet

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 23 December 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 23 December 2012, 12:39 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Cheers guys a big thanks to Kev for helping me yesterday.

Thanks Ian I'm very pleased here I know it sounds a bit cliché but I had no plan at all when I sold the new age but I knew when I came accross a car that inspired me I would know and when I happened on this I realised this was not to be ruled out and that with some work it could be a great project car to take on.

Your right Danny, I've already got a set of 17's lined up without tyres plus I have not ruled out the brembo route again I'll be doing a little brake research as well to see what's about at what price, I've actually got a pair of new front oem discs here already that I picked up a while ago. There are 4 pots on the front and the sliding calipers design on the rear but I need to decide what's the best under body route to take first before adding refurbed parts on the car.
I've tried a few over the years: Brembo, K sport, Scoobyclinic 6 pots and now on the Porsche set up.

For price/performance you can't go wrong with brembo's (shame about the steel bolt in alloy thread issue)

K sport's arn't bad but the price has sneaked up over the years, By the time you've bought a decent pad for them you are talking nearly £1K for 330mm. They arn't as well built as the other either, the bleed nipples rust in a very short time and the alloy shows it's age very quickly.

Plenty of used 330mm kits (Ap's, Kad,Tarox) come up for sale, worth buying and then having the calipers refurbed/new discs and these still come out a really nice price. I'll keep an eye out for you.

I've a whiteline rear strut brace in the garage if your interested, Don't want much for it as it's you
Old 23 December 2012, 12:45 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks totally original, Which is a pretty good find as most have been fecked about with now.

+1 for keeping it standard(ish), Looks great.
Old 23 December 2012, 01:50 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Well done Simon, you've picked up a really rare car there - one that hasn't been butchered to high heaven.

I look forward to seeing it at the meet
Thanks Ty all being well I will be at the next meet, there's a few bits that need attention but the base is there matey.... I don't think there are really many about any idea of the first figure that as released? I know I only came across a few while doing my research this week. There is an sidc key fob and what's left of an RA forum sticker on the window plus I know the car came from Dorset so the old owner may pop up at some point or at least someone else that already knows the car.

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Back already.
Looks a great car, i couldnt be subaru less for long either.
Indeed cheers Tommy

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Looks totally original, Which is a pretty good find as most have been fecked about with now.

+1 for keeping it standard(ish), Looks great.
Don't worry the decision to do that is made already.

Danny let me know what you want for the brace certainly interested here as I have a base set up of mods in my head and that's on the list. I agree with you as well re your brake suggestions, I know some age quickly I've seen it as well... I'm sure brembo would be the route to take its sensible as Andy has the rear brackets plus I know them first hand from my old car, yes if you can keep an eye out that would be great.
Old 23 December 2012, 02:02 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

A few quick phone pics...

As you see a few little dents an marks and a few areas just on the start of the turn so its the window of time to stop in now. Jacking points on the front under the car bent over, they are there they just need straightening back up and painting, the main area is around the arial where there's a small batch starting so the plastic strip up over needs removing and then rubbed back and painting, all in all though for a 17 year old car that's got bugger all protection in many respects on it I'm very pleased indeed. There are a couple of reaction points on the bonnet in the paint due to it being alloy looks very much like bird muck the way the paints reacted.
Old 23 December 2012, 02:02 PM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Echoing everybody elses comments above, lovely example you found there Simon fair doos, and naturally in the. Est colour! Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Rob
Old 23 December 2012, 02:26 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get over to the Type-RA forum with it
Old 23 December 2012, 03:57 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Looks lovely now youve taken some better pics Si I agree about keeping it oem ! Also, it's a car that I dont have to cut a hole in the roof
Old 23 December 2012, 05:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad it turned out to be as good as hoped
Old 23 December 2012, 06:03 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mervil
Looks lovely now youve taken some better pics Si I agree about keeping it oem ! Also, it's a car that I dont have to cut a hole in the roof
No Hole required mate

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Get over to the Type-RA forum with it
Done

Originally Posted by Rob Legend
Echoing everybody elses comments above, lovely example you found there Simon fair doos, and naturally in the. Est colour! Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Rob
First white car I have ever owned Rob
Old 23 December 2012, 06:34 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Good buy there Si. Make sure you post a link to your project thread.
Old 23 December 2012, 07:46 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Lovely car as said earlier Si. Can't go wrong with STI RA's.

Like you said, brakes, wheels and possible rear tint's and bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt, you'll have a tidy car.

If your in tomorrow afternoon, I'll pop round.

Pity your revo wheels dont fit the car, they would suit it perfectly

Last edited by matscooby; 23 December 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 23 December 2012, 07:50 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by redwards
Good buy there Si. Make sure you post a link to your project thread.
Yes I plan on starting a proper project thread I'll do a link here when I sort that.

Thanks Matt... Yes bud I shall be here in the afternoon I plan on doing a few more little bits tomorrow i will be pleased to have your input as I know your the same year there and certain things are all new to me again I'm on another learning curve.
Old 23 December 2012, 10:33 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

First mod is to build a garage .
Old 24 December 2012, 01:55 PM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

looks great si and know it will be stunning and one of the best examples out there once finished mate

standard cars kept mint is always a winner and what people will want in years to come once everyone has killed them off with modified versions of an already good car which people make worse lol

i know from experience now and learned as stated less is more these days

good luck and hope to see it soon mate and have a catch up
Old 24 December 2012, 11:31 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Don't worry Lee it will be visually as it left the factory in many respects.... Forget the word modify this is a 17 year old car and I feel the term is more like restore plus enhance, I have a list in mind and will set a project thread up to plot the course of both the car and myself lol
Old 25 December 2012, 12:57 PM
Cooking on gas
Scooby Newbie

Hi all, I'm a newbie and I'm looking for scooby any suggestions? Can't post anything yet so advice much appreciated.
Old 25 December 2012, 11:15 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Glad it turned out to be as good as hoped
Sorry I missed this Gary, yes so far so good for sure and thanks there for all the help mate really appreciated it

Originally Posted by Cooking on gas
Hi all, I'm a newbie and I'm looking for scooby any suggestions? Can't post anything yet so advice much appreciated.
That's quite a question...... How deep is the sea budget, requirement and expected usage these need to be looked at in order to even start to think of an area to look at.

Simon
Old 26 December 2012, 10:59 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well that looks like a nice little project car and I like the idea of just making it mint rather than slapping a load of stuff to it. A classic that close to standard is a rare find these days
Old 26 December 2012, 06:04 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by evil.soup
Well that looks like a nice little project car and I like the idea of just making it mint rather than slapping a load of stuff to it. A classic that close to standard is a rare find these days
A stroke of luck for me a I think Ian

Project thread underway...

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...h-project.html
Old 27 December 2012, 01:09 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Nice one Si ,keep standard ish
Old 27 December 2012, 05:28 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!