Notices

How do I identify if I have bearing problems??

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2012, 08:54 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How do I identify if I have bearing problems??

It’s the wheel bearings that I have in mind as the issue. I get a whirring rubbing noise through corners that sounds like bearing issues from previous experience in other cars. I think it is there all the time but far worse on cornering. It’s a bit difficult to hear anything when in a scoob so hard to say weather it is front or back. I will replace both sides at the same time and could always replace all corners but don't really have cash to splash on jobs that don't need doing right now.

Is there any way to identify which bearing has failed or is it just a matter of just driving and listening. I have had 2 mechanics in the car so far and neither can work out weather its the front or the back and neither could hear what I could hear, although they were only in the car a limited time.

Any help?????

cheers, Ian
Old 26 June 2012, 04:22 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front passenger bearing went in my classic a few months back but same as you I couldn't tell which one. Went to my mate who is a mechanic he took it out and he could hear the noise but couldn't tell where it was coming from, so he took it back to his garage put me and the car on the ramp up we went and he then told me to drive it as normal then brake while he listened. He went around every wheel a few times then finally found that the front passenger one had gone but could only really notice while braking ask your mate to do the same and hopefully they can find which one has gone. Hope this helps.
Old 27 June 2012, 09:15 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GONZO01
The front passenger bearing went in my classic a few months back but same as you I couldn't tell which one. Went to my mate who is a mechanic he took it out and he could hear the noise but couldn't tell where it was coming from, so he took it back to his garage put me and the car on the ramp up we went and he then told me to drive it as normal then brake while he listened. He went around every wheel a few times then finally found that the front passenger one had gone but could only really notice while braking ask your mate to do the same and hopefully they can find which one has gone. Hope this helps.
Cheers for that mate, I will ask him to try that. I have to be honest, its really frustrating when you know there is something wrong but no-one can tell you what it is!!
Old 27 June 2012, 09:30 AM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me about it.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:38 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by evil.soup
It’s the wheel bearings that I have in mind as the issue. I get a whirring rubbing noise through corners that sounds like bearing issues from previous experience in other cars. I think it is there all the time but far worse on cornering. It’s a bit difficult to hear anything when in a scoob so hard to say weather it is front or back. I will replace both sides at the same time and could always replace all corners but don't really have cash to splash on jobs that don't need doing right now.

Is there any way to identify which bearing has failed or is it just a matter of just driving and listening. I have had 2 mechanics in the car so far and neither can work out weather its the front or the back and neither could hear what I could hear, although they were only in the car a limited time.

Any help?????

cheers, Ian
The problem with AWD is that the noise can resonate away from the area and sound like it's from something else.

Good shout Gonzo, but a simple check for rim rock may help to identify it. Jack the car up, grab the outer edges of the wheel and and see if you can feel any slight movement.

It may help, KISS.
Old 27 June 2012, 02:16 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
The problem with AWD is that the noise can resonate away from the area and sound like it's from something else.

Good shout Gonzo, but a simple check for rim rock may help to identify it. Jack the car up, grab the outer edges of the wheel and and see if you can feel any slight movement.

It may help, KISS.
I will try that too mate cheers. Its starting to do my **** in now because the car is just sitting around until I can get it sorted. Its fine to use, I just don't feel comfortable using it the way I want to so it seems pointless driving it unless I have to.
Old 27 June 2012, 02:46 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by evil.soup
I will try that too mate cheers. Its starting to do my **** in now because the car is just sitting around until I can get it sorted. Its fine to use, I just don't feel comfortable using it the way I want to so it seems pointless driving it unless I have to.
It's a niggle that you know is there, you don't want it but even if it's not worthy of it, you worry.

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2012, 03:17 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Spot on mate!

Happy birthday by the way