Notices

Bit of Servicing advice please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2011, 12:03 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of Servicing advice please!!!

Hey Folks,
Planning on givving the car a well deserved service on the weekend, my plans are;
Oil Change (inc.filter, millers 10 40 fully synth)
Fuel filter change
Sparks change - NGK PFR 7B'S
Gearbox oil and diffs,

now, ive done the engine oil before and other bits and pieces, but am after a bit of advice on what gear oil to use (do you use the same for the diffs) and if there is a procedure i could follow on here, i cant seem to find any on search, and also for the fuel?
I would also like to know should i need to alter the spark plug gap at all and if so to what?
Thanks in advance guys
Rob

sorry 4got to add she's a 97 WRX import , running around the 340 mark

Last edited by The Sheep Worrier; 18 March 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 18 March 2011, 12:12 AM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

0.6mm on ye pfr7b`s and dont forget to dry crank your engine after filling it back up with oil, as for the diff and box i use the same oil,.
Old 18 March 2011, 12:26 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Utter bollocks on dry cranking on a Classic, make sure you prime the engine oil filter, use some oil to wet the seal and get the filter on and fill the engine to the correct level and crack on.

I used Millers in the gearbox and Motul in the diff. Have a little drive of a mile or two to warm up thegearbox oil. It's quite thick when cold. I used a small kitchen funnel into the dip stick for the gearbox to fill it back up. Checking up every few fills. Should be about 4.5 litres (about the same as the engine).

You can use a washing up liquid bottle for the Diff oil as it's a little awkward to fill it up unless you have a large syringe type filler and rubber hose on the spout. Remember the bottom plug is magnetic

The fuel filter is simple (well my V5 was) you have in and out arrows. It's two hoses the in flow and out flow, jubilee type clips. With the ignition off disconnect but expect a little overspill.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 18 March 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 18 March 2011, 08:51 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, ive done the oil change a couple of times before and do fill the filter up first and leave for 10 minutes for the air to come out, i have dry cranked to in the past dunno whether it helps or,bit contravertial on here but will prob do it anyway as i cant see its gonna do any damage.(he says!!)
so am i right in thinking to remove the gerbox plug its the little square nut on the underside at the back that you remove with a 1/2" drive ratchet? i can see it being a bit of a fiddle to get the stuff back in but ozz has given me a trick bit of kit to get over that!
cheers men
Old 20 March 2011, 04:28 AM
The Sheep Worrier
Scooby Regular

well finally got round to sortijng her, done the diff oils, gearbox oil, engine oil, fuel filter and sparks! hopefully found the reason she had an occasional miss, there was a plug thet was dowsed in pertrol that obviously wasnt firing all the tinme, thought it odd tho how it never showed up on the Simtek?? anhow all went reasonably smooth, buggar all metal deposits in the diff or gearbox and the oil was reaonably clear so was quite pleased with that!!
also fitted me the turbosmart DV that i bought off lee and got shot of the old Bailey, she seems a lot smoother just wants a bit of tinkering i suppose to get her spot on!!
Cheers 4 ya help guys
Rob