Notices

Engine Flooded

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2010, 01:15 AM
legacy82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Flooded

hi folks does anyone know the best way to unflood these ej20 engines??.as mine hasn`t been able to start for nearly 2 months now.Have changed the crankshaft sensor,cam position sensor,maf,cleaned spark plugs new battery on sunday tryed to start it and it fired up for about 5 seconds with the rev counter slowly going up it got to 2000rpm then cut out it did this twice and now can smell petrol strong in engine bay so think its flooded.

cheers from josh
Old 18 December 2010, 01:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Full throttle and just keep cranking it (about 30secs). It should within that point splutter and try to cough into life then immediately die again, when this happens trying cranking it using about quarter throttle.

Full throttle whilst cranking actually stops fuel being injected (most EFi cars have this feature programmed into them), so when it starts to dry out, the excess fuel ignites, so the engine will splutter and try to run, but seeing no fresh fuel is being injected, it will die again. Hence the need to re-attempt with a quarter throttle.

However, it does seem that there maybe some other problem with the car in addition to it being flooded.
Old 20 December 2010, 02:31 PM
legacy82
Scooby Regular

yeah have tryed it on full throttle and quarter throttle could it be my fuel pump has gone??.as i`ve pulled the inpipe off the fuel filter turned ignition on and abit of fuel came out then i put abit of clear tubing into the inpipe and put it into a petrol can and tryed turning it over and it was filling the can abit.and its making the buzzing noise when you first turn the ignition on
Old 20 December 2010, 10:13 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

Pump sounds fine Josh, the buzzing noise when you first turn the ignition on is when it primes, and if its filling the can, sounds like its working. What about injectors? Maybe some kind of blockage?
Old 20 December 2010, 10:33 PM
Wooffy
Scooby Regular

Worst car to start when flooded is the mazda rx-8. If you follow the procedure we use to get those going it should fire no problem.

Remove fuel pump fuse
crank engine over with full throttle for 30 seconds
wait 5 mins
wait 5 mins
Replace fuel pump fuse and start car
don't try and press throttle with your foot use your hand as you can catch it sometimes by slightly pressing throttle as it fires.

Also check plugs aren't knackered either

Other that that you may have other problems.
Old 21 December 2010, 02:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Josh, get the fuel filter off and empty it out. You may find that it's full of ****e, you may have fuel in but what about fuel out?

Coil pack? Are you getting a spark at the plug?

I know how you feel with fuel issues .
Old 21 December 2010, 11:12 PM
legacy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Josh, get the fuel filter off and empty it out. You may find that it's full of ****e, you may have fuel in but what about fuel out?

Coil pack? Are you getting a spark at the plug?

I know how you feel with fuel issues .
hi Ian yeah i`ve taken the fuel filter off and tipped all the fuel i could get out of it,haven`t looked at the fuel out yet as i`ve been 2pm till 10pm this week.Have tryed all the coil packs and plugs and there all sparking.Will have to take all the injectors out as the plugs keep getting soaked with petrol after i keep taking them out drying them and cleaning them.
Old 22 December 2010, 11:21 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Its worth checking the injectors and maybe replacing the seals.... the seals expanded on mine after using mathanol for about a year, this was causing my car to flood to the point it was Hydraulic locking the engine so wouldn't even turn over....
Old 22 December 2010, 11:29 AM
legacy82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboDean
Its worth checking the injectors and maybe replacing the seals.... the seals expanded on mine after using mathanol for about a year, this was causing my car to flood to the point it was Hydraulic locking the engine so wouldn't even turn over....
Ok thanks.Are they easy to take out of the manifold or are they abit of a potch?
Old 23 December 2010, 02:58 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy82
Ok thanks.Are they easy to take out of the manifold or are they abit of a potch?
Not sure what model u got, but on most it's just 2 screws holding the caps over the tops of the injectors then they will just pull out the only thing holding them in once the caps are removed is the 2 o'rings/seals, might have to give them a twist as ur pulling them out...