Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone know "it"?

https://www.scoobynet.com/841510-ripped-off-3.html

Not a good advert for Wales
Old 13 July 2010, 01:54 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, not the best image of us welsh.

I think it's terrible what this person has done.
Old 13 July 2010, 02:25 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

So does anybody know this guy ?
Old 13 July 2010, 02:35 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

It's always a nightmare buying second hand engines, best way is from a decent breaker and pay via the credit card but then there is still no refund on the labour
I feel sorry for this chap as someone sold him a "rebuilt" engine who would have almost certainly known it was knackered.
Dave.
Old 13 July 2010, 05:30 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

as stated in the end of the thread there are two sides to every story.....why doesnt the guy come down to get his £1000 back (if indeed he did pay that amount, because he isnt disagreeing over the price of £300 stated in tomtits posts ) even if he did only pay £300 for the engine then the t*wat should give him his cash back.
i have to agree with you guys it puts us taffy`s in a bad light
Old 13 July 2010, 06:05 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

The fact is that none of us know the full story, if the seller did sell it with a fault of any description regardless of what it is and the buyer decided to take a punt on it then it is buyer beware.

The trouble is that the overwhelming consensus is that the seller is at fault but the buyer seems to have gone quiet.

The price also seems to be in dispute - who would pay £1K for an engine that could not been seen or heard running? If the buyer bought it at £300 as is then I am afraid that he took a risk and lost out.

When I first read the thread I thought the same as many other - "the b@rstard seller tried having one over the poor buyer" but sit back and think about in the cold light of day, re-read the posts before the seller responded and then after he responded and it would seem not to be so cut and dried.

I feel sorry for the buyer if he took a chance on the engine being useable but if he already knew it was questionable about it's re-use then sorry then "some you win, some you lose".

Also I think some of the threats, the posting of the seller's mobile number and address should have been removed by the moderators before some of the SN nutcases got hold of them.
Old 13 July 2010, 06:12 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my only thoughts on this how many people are daft enough to sell a rebuilt engine for £300quid secondly how many more are daft enough to assume that £300 quid is a fair price for a rebuilt engine . the pistons alaone are more than that ????????????????????????????????????? ALARM BELLS ANYONE
Old 13 July 2010, 06:42 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big risk buying a second hand motor without having it stripped and checked first.
Some you win and others you don't !
Old 13 July 2010, 07:19 PM
Richy B
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets face it, £300 for a 'running' engine would send alarm bells ringing for anyone surely? STi heads are worth more!

I don't agree with the 'witch hunt' that pursues in that post... Why can't two people talk to each other before going down the route of the ScoobyNet Trial, Prosecution and Execution! See this sort of thing happen way too much over the forums and normally because people can't be bothered to pick up the phone!

For the sake of £300 I personally would just refund the money and have done with it. If the guy is down on the deal through fitting etc that sadly is a loss he will have to put down to experience.

However, as long as the guy has 'sold as seen' and receipted the other party to say so he sadly won't have a leg to stand on should he refuse to refund him.

If its any consolation I have over £1000 in outstanding debts for the last 2 months alone, which are now in the hands of the solicitors and are amounts unlikely to be seen again! That was for good honest work, but sadly the way it is going at the moment!
Old 13 July 2010, 07:21 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

No-one is giving the Welsh a bad name. If he is a scammer he is doing it in his own name, not as a Welshman. You guys are ok!
Old 13 July 2010, 11:21 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
No-one is giving the Welsh a bad name. If he is a scammer he is doing it in his own name, not as a Welshman. You guys are ok!
Your still not coming over the bridge for free!
Old 14 July 2010, 08:09 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by madscoob
my only thoughts on this how many people are daft enough to sell a rebuilt engine for £300quid secondly how many more are daft enough to assume that £300 quid is a fair price for a rebuilt engine . the pistons alaone are more than that ????????????????????????????????????? ALARM BELLS ANYONE
People who come from everyday run around hatchs expect £300 for an engine. The naivety of a newbie, compounded by scrabbling to get his money back by any means.

Still "caveate emptor" = buyer beware.
Old 14 July 2010, 11:03 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryan33hks
Your still not coming over the bridge for free!
Ok Ill invade via Ross on Wye.
Old 14 July 2010, 11:24 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

I've had a good read of this thread and agree there are two sides to it.

You can get a working bottom end for very little £4-500, but unless you know the car it's came out of and know the history then your just buying yourself some extra time until it goes bang again.

Without a doubt the guy knew he was selling a fooked engine it's whether the buyer knew it. regardless of receipts/forged bottom end, that was two years ago and anything could and in this case has happened to it in that time.

For the £300 he has brought a block and i'm sure some of the stuff is salvageble so it's not a complete lost.

This is another reason why the guy should of gone somewhere reputable to have had it rebuilt or to have had it done by someone who knows there stuff.