Notices

Log Book Question

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2010, 12:54 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Log Book Question

Here is my problem and I'm looking for some advice asap.

A family member of mine bought a P1 for her boyfriend when they met a year ago(silly cow) but anyway they have finshed for good but she stupidly put the car in his name.

Does she have any leg to stand on in getting the car back because there is no way he is going to sign the car back to her.

So he's going to be able to walk away with a £9000 P1, Great for him but leaves my auntie in debt. Her own fault I know but love is blind.

Thanks Claire
Old 02 April 2010, 01:10 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner. Can she prove she paid it or is still paying for it? She can say it was only put in his name for insurance purposes, where to go from there though I don't know.
Old 02 April 2010, 05:03 PM
JUAREZ
Scooby Regular

Yes, she has a case under Proprietary Estoppel: ie,
Legal bar preventing a (first) party from denying another (second) party's right in first party's property where the second party has incurred costs in that property to his/her detriment.
If she has the receipt and bank statement showwing the money leaving her account she should be fine.
Old 03 April 2010, 10:25 AM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

As juarez says, should be fine if proof of purchase in her name.
Old 03 April 2010, 12:34 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mike h
The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner. Can she prove she paid it or is still paying for it? She can say it was only put in his name for insurance purposes, where to go from there though I don't know.
Your on a sticky wicket insuring in another persons name.

A few cases of young drivers totalling a car registered to them but insured in mam and dad's name but them as named drivers have seen the insurance company throwing all sorts of ****e back.
Old 04 April 2010, 12:25 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

Ian thats just insurance companys trying there luck on people hoping they back down so they dont have to pay out as much
we have just bought a corsa 1.4 16v and its insured in my name as sarah as a named driver but the sales person on the phone asked who is the legal owner and registered keeper and i said Sarah.... wasnt a problem at all.

as said if she got proof of buying it and hes got nothing in writing saying it was "given" to him then realy she bought the car and he was "allowed to drive it and as he was driving it, it was registered to him for if there was an issue with traffic offences arising for him driving it so she didnt have to prove to the police it was him driving it