Notices

just a little update.

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2010, 02:10 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a little update.

I have decided to put the engine build on hold for a minute (probably not a good idea). But in prep for the show season and the rolling road, I have more important things to do.

I have purchased my new tyres, because at the moment I seem to be running on slicks and that’s not a good thing,
I have also purchased my hifonics components for front and back of the car and have started wiring in the system. these will be custom fitted in all door .

I have stripped all my spare dash down and got all my panels cleaned ready for flocking next week when im over in Bristol (should any of you need anything flocked then please give me a shout and I will take it over with me and you will get good prices )

I had an issue on sat where my headers split. AGAIN. I took the car to Charlie who even though was very busy, put my car on the ramp and welded up for a temp fix, awesome guy and im not saying what I paid , but he told me I need new headers due to the stainless not being good quality and its corroding. Damn cheap stainless headers. So now I need a new set and I think this is more important for the RR day as I don’t want them splitting when I get on the rollers.

Will update with pics as soon as its all back together
Old 15 March 2010, 02:39 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ry,

Speak to Silver Scooby Sport. I was due to get a set of headers from him at the meet. As my brakes need a re-furb I'll not make it. Your need is greater than mine so drop him an e-mail and tell him I am OK with this

£45 and they are wrapped as well.
Old 15 March 2010, 02:45 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

ok mate thanks are they standard headers or tubular?
Old 15 March 2010, 03:13 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Standard
Old 15 March 2010, 06:25 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

lots of cheap headers out there but a good set of ported standard ones is good on sub 400BHP cars

Please bare in mind that (nearly) all after market stainless headers will split it's just a matter of when.
Old 15 March 2010, 06:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Had this reply from Harvey with regards to the headers off SSS.

Hi Ian,

Exchange headers DEI wrapped for your car are £230 exchange and £139 for a matched uppipe, also DEI wrapped with five new Subaru studs. So £369 exchange plus £12.50 overnight delivery or if you can get to Darlington we will fit for you for £75.
Payment to Paypal harveysmith1@btopenworld.com or bank transfer below.

Subject: Ported Headers. (Bottom, Tubular Headers)

Please forgive me for sending you a standard reply but there are not enough hours in the day to attend to everything I have to do.
Once you have mulled over the information below please come back with any questions etc. which I will be happy to answer.

Porting Standard Headers for MY 99/00 £115.00
Remove Heat Shields, lugs and dress £ 15.00
DEI Exhaust Wrap and Wire £ 50.00
Wrap Headers £ 50.00
Overnight Delivery £ 12.50
£242.50

New purpose designed, stainless, slip jointed up-pipe with studs and heat wrapped = £139.00.

TOTAL : £381.50

Standard price for swapping headers and up-pipe here in Darlington is £75.00 - No VAT.

To save money, I have no objection to you removing the lugs, dressing the headers or wrapping them, but it is quite arduous and dirty work and the wrapping is not something you should undertake unless you have prior experience, have the appropriate wire and the necessary tie wire tool.

There are good gains to be had from Ported Headers only but after a while, and with the investment in flow bench time, I realised that further significant improvements were available from a purpose designed up-pipe, specifically matched to my Ported Headers.
The results were surprising, so much so that when I converted the first two cars from Ported Headers only, I concluded the gains were a fluke - these improvements are now the norm.
The Headers and up-pipe have evolved to what we have today. The MK III Ported Headers and up-pipes have been fitted to many cars, show improvements in spool, response, mid range and top end power, and are usually the best option from standard to a long way past 400 bhp.
Spool is substantially ahead of tubular headers by 150-500 RPM, but we have tubular headers available for power applications 450 bhp and beyond.

Please note that Subaru gaskets are expensive and generally we only advise replacing gaskets when necessary. In most cases the OE gaskets are suitable for re-use (with exhaust seal paste). The paste must not enter the bore of the headers.

Porting Headers usually takes 5 working days plus carriage time which is overnight from this end. From time to time I can have Ported Headers sent same day on receipt of cleared funds and there are usually several sets in the production process at any one time.

For a deposit, I can send out already Ported Headers and this is fully refundable upon return of your O/E Headers, in good condition, within a three week period.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:23 AM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had any trouble with Lateral headers
Old 16 March 2010, 11:28 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

whats the difference with lateral headers?