Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who to complain to about insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2005, 07:55 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who to complain to about insurance ?

This should probably be in the insurance section, but think I will a better response here.

I was involved in an accident on the 1st of March this year. I'm disputing who's fault it was as the guy was speeding and I've got witnesses.

That aside, I'm fully comprehensive and put a claim in with my insurance. I'm still waiting on it getting sorted out. Am I asking too much ? It's only been 9 whole months.

Firstly they arranged for an assessor to come out to see the damage. I was told he'd be in contact. I waited over 4 weeks and no contact. I called back and he turned up the next day.

The damage was over £5k worth so they claimed the car a write off. They asked me to forward all my documentation. I was away on holiday for a couple of weeks and didn't get back until nearly the end of August. I posted off all the documentation including copies of other cars for sale to substantiate how much I wanted for the car. They signed for the information on the 31st of August.

I've called religiously every week since then for an update. I keep getting the call centre in India and the answer "we're waiting on the engineer getting back to us" In between they offered me £3000 for the car which I've refused. The car is a 93 WRX which I paid £6500 for the previous April. I've got an £1100 excess to come off that.

The last straw was at the start of this month the woman dealing with my claim phoned and said "have you sent in the information to the engineer to substantiate your claim?" I lost the plot I'd sent it 2 months ago !

She said she'd look on the system and surprise, surprise she found them and promised to forward to the engineer. I asked how long it would take she said hopefully a week.

A few weeks later I called back, still no update. I asked who I put a complaint in to. She said she'd get someone from the complaints team to call me. The guy phoned back within 2 hours and said he was sorry for the length of time it's taken to sort out and he hoped to sort it within 24 hours.

I waited 2 days and no call. I phoned he was off sick but due back the following day. He called an apologised for being off, he said he needed till the end of that day to sort it or 24 hours. Waited another 2 days and nothing. Phoned back he was off again. I asked to speak to someone else and they said no one else could help as he's dealing with my complaint.

I phoned back a few days later, this time got through to someone British person which was strange because the other 50 times I've phoned their 0870 number it's always been the call centre in India. I asked to speak to the guy dealing with my claim. She said she couldn't transfer me and she would ask the engineer to give an update.

A few days later I got a letter saying they hope to have it sorted by the 25th of this month. Guess what no contact as of today.

At the start of the claim I had 3 policies with Norwich Union, my Subaru and MR2 Turbo and my Girlfriend's Mini which I was a named driver on. Needless I've moved them all now including the new Subaru which I'm driving at the moment.

Where do I go from here? Surely they can't take 9 months or longer to satisfy my claim ?

I called about my dispute at the start of this month regarding who's fault the accident was. They said ohh sorry there's been no update since the end of June when you gave your legal statement. I will chaise it up (I'm still waiting)

I've got the address from their website who to complain to so I'm going to write a letter, but I recon that is going to fall on deaf ears.

Is there anyone else I can take this too ?

I would appreciate any help or advice available ! :-(
Old 30 November 2005, 09:51 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

http://www.abi.org.uk/
And see what they advide. Good luck
Old 30 November 2005, 10:43 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Get insurance next time from a real insurance company not some cheap **** internet company. Not much help i know but you can still get cheap insurance with reputable companies. I have really cheap insurance and have had several claims, all not my fault, and things couldnt have gone smoother. Try direct line next time mate. Nothing much you could probably do other than phone every day and keep records of each call i.e name of person you speak to and times. What about a solicitor?????
Old 30 November 2005, 10:59 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

The Insurance Ombudsman - regulate the insurance industry, usually just mentioning the fact you are going to contact them gets a result. Funnily enough I had a similair problem with Norwich Union Home Insurance, long story but a friend of our was visiting and her young son jumped through our patio window - a long night in A&E, severe cuts etc - thkfully he was OK. Anyway NU send out their recommended repairer who boards up the window, takes away the deamaged door, seals etc etc.

Eventually after 2 weeks we get the door back - completely F**ked, anyway after 10 months of trying to get sense out of them somebody said write a letter explaining the events, the total **** up on their / repairers behalf etc etc and make sure to mention the Insurance Ombudsman, hey presto 2 days later I get a phone call letting me know they are very sorry and that the repairer will be out to measure up for a brand new unit!!!

Stop ringing and start writing and include dates, times, etc etc and that if you do not have resolution within say 2 / 3 / 4 weeks you will be contacting the Insurance ombudsman, a solicitor, watch dog and Which magazine - that should shift their ****!!

Good luck fella, you'll need it with NU

Paul
Old 30 November 2005, 11:00 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Oh and make sure you send any corespondence by registered or recorded delivery so that you can prove that it was delivered - keep copies of any correspondence as well.

Paul
Old 30 November 2005, 11:09 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

All insurance companies will be regulated by the FSA. They **** companies up badly i'd report them, or go to the insurance ombudsman http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
Old 01 December 2005, 09:53 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sgcooby
Get insurance next time from a real insurance company not some cheap **** internet company. Not much help i know but you can still get cheap insurance with reputable companies. I have really cheap insurance and have had several claims, all not my fault, and things couldnt have gone smoother. Try direct line next time mate. Nothing much you could probably do other than phone every day and keep records of each call i.e name of person you speak to and times. What about a solicitor?????
There are reasons why so many internet companies are cheap!!!

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2005, 12:08 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby
What a load of Rubbish, I was with the previlege who are part of direct line, they took 17 months to sort out my claim!!!!

The privilege managed to loose pretty much everything from the file. photos would go missing, So I'd send new ones sent. Statements would also go missing. Everytime I would ring you would have to speak to someone new and I'd have to explain it all over again only to be told that no photos were in the file or we don't have that information.

Inconclussion, get the cheapest insurance possible becuase even the big ones haven't a clue.
Old 01 December 2005, 12:17 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VAL113R
At the start of the claim I had 3 policies with Norwich Union, my Subaru and MR2 Turbo and my Girlfriend's Mini which I was a named driver on. Needless I've moved them all now including the new Subaru which I'm driving at the moment.
as you can see he was with Norwich union, one of the largest insurance companies out there...maybe that's the real problem! go for a cheap **** insurer instead?
Old 01 December 2005, 12:56 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

took me a couple of years to sort out an insurance claim i had.

dont give up.
Old 01 December 2005, 01:35 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Direct line just as bad. Unless its crystall clear whos at fault they will go 50/50 despite all the evidence and if theres any doubt they wont fight yr case.

Daughter hit by loon on a roundabout thrashin it round, hit her in the rear wing....the decision was based on the fact that as she had pulled onto the r/about and he was already on it..it was her fault...she pulled out in front of him!!?? and if it went to court they couldnt prove otherwise......pah numbers game to them....if she'd pulled out in front of the yob, he'd have smashed the front wing or door...
Old 01 December 2005, 01:41 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Oh and if its NU dont bother phoning 'cos they dont understand that much english and are reading from a script to say have a nice day and whats the weather like!!! write recorded delivery!
Old 01 December 2005, 01:41 PM
Moley
Sponsor

When you insure through a broker you always have one point of contact for any problems.

I always tell any of my clients to contact me if they have any problem at all, and i'll look after them.

I know the bigger/internet companies are sometimes cheaper, but a lot of people (including myself) don't like to be insured by a company where you speak to one person out of hundreds in a call center in the middle of nowhere, who you'll never speak to again.
Old 01 December 2005, 01:51 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
When you insure through a broker you always have one point of contact for any problems.

I always tell any of my clients to contact me if they have any problem at all, and i'll look after them.

I know the bigger/internet companies are sometimes cheaper, but a lot of people (including myself) don't like to be insured by a company where you speak to one person out of hundreds in a call center in the middle of nowhere, who you'll never speak to again.
Lot of sense in that.... much easier to have one point of call and there's a good chance that yr broker is easy to get to.
Old 05 December 2005, 07:33 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Hi guys

cheers for you reply.

Firstly it's funny how some people jump to conclusions that the insurance company was a small, dodgy affair. Part of the reason why I put their name at the bottom of the post rather than the top.

For your information I now have 2 of my policies with A-Plan and my other with BMW Mini.

Thanks to the others for their constructive posts. I was going to write a letter this week but decided to give them one last call.

I asked to speak to the person in the complaints department who I was dealing with. Unfortunately he was busy but I left a message.

I said can you pass the message on that I was involved in an accident on the first of March. I received a letter informing me that it would be sorted by the 25th of last month. It's now the 5th and I've not heard anything. If this is not sorted out by the end of the week I'm reporting you to the Financial Ombudsman.

I received a call back from the guy a little while later. He said he had spoken to the engineers and they have decided to up the offer due to the information that I've provided. They are now offering me £6000 for my car. (Previously was £3000)

I can't remember if I posted what kind of car it was earlier, but it was a 93 wrx. I've an £1170 excess to come off that though, but not bad I thought for the car considering their current price. I did pay £6500 for it last year.

Anyway I would like to thank people on here for their advice.

Cheers
Old 07 December 2005, 02:08 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Spot on Gary

We stopped dealing with NU when they relocated overseas, our customers didnt like dealing overseas in event of a claim & we found it impossible to liaise properly with them.

One claim that a client of ours had involved his wife hitting a sleeping policeman, they didnt really understand and it took us 30 mins & an e-mail of several bollards to convince them that the "policeman" was not injured and that a sleeping policeman was an object rather than a person.
Old 07 December 2005, 04:22 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony@Greenlight
Spot on Gary

We stopped dealing with NU when they relocated overseas, our customers didnt like dealing overseas in event of a claim & we found it impossible to liaise properly with them.

One claim that a client of ours had involved his wife hitting a sleeping policeman, they didnt really understand and it took us 30 mins & an e-mail of several bollards to convince them that the "policeman" was not injured and that a sleeping policeman was an object rather than a person.
hi tony i know exactly what your on about, i referred some 17" alloys to n/union the other week and the person i spoke to would not provide a price unless i found out the dimensions of the tyres?!?
Old 08 December 2005, 10:07 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tony@Greenlight
Spot on Gary

PMSL!!!

Reminds me of one where they were advised that a client had 'a claim with Elephant' (the company)......and they put it on their system the client had a claim after hitting an elephant!!!!