Notices

Newport M4 speed camera's ???

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2009, 07:06 PM
mightyscoob
Scooby Regular

Location: Been roller coasting for a long time and can't get off.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newport M4 speed camera's ???

Having travelled along the M4 from Coldra to the Brynglas tunnels and vice versa few times these last few weeks.

I've noticed that the average speed camera's are now working as you can see a red led at night alongside the camera's.

But also noticed if you travel west only the inner 2 lanes are covered by these camera's from Coldra to Tunnels, except where you enter the zones from Magor at Coldra where the middle and outer are covered. But then that's it, no more camera's looking into lane 3 (outer lane).

Then travelling east its the same sort of thing. Once you passed the camera's passing the start of the slip road towards Coldra at the top of hill going east, the outer lane is no longer covered only the 2 lanes on the slip actually at Coldra going towards the A449 or A48.

Why is the local traffic being clocked and not the passing traffic.

You see most traffic in the 3rd lane east or west totally exceeding the 50mph.

True or False
Old 02 September 2009, 09:16 PM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

My camera detector goes daft now as I run through there, so they are deffo live, wouldn't like to take chances on where they are pointing though...

I have heard that changing lanes can confuse them but again that's hearsay unless anyone elase knows better.!
Old 03 September 2009, 12:06 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

TBH even though the cameras can look like it is looking only at the inner lanes they could monitoring any 2 of the 3 lanes in any combination.

Pllus I would not bother swapping lanes between cameras as they can take your average speed over the full or a partial distance covered by the cameras.
Old 03 September 2009, 08:45 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

All the images are fed to one central hub. The speed is calculated there. Changing lanes does not make a bit of difference.
Old 03 September 2009, 09:11 AM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Resistance is futile
Old 03 September 2009, 10:02 AM
mightyscoob
Scooby Regular

Thanks,

But if when you go down this stretch east or west.

If you look where these are positioned on the side of the Motorway and thier focus line, then you'll see what I mean. Also when you see these programs on TV about these type of cameras they only focus in one area to read your Plate.
Old 03 September 2009, 02:22 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Are these only front faceing cameras? How about running with no front plate on the motorway

Trending Topics

Old 03 September 2009, 02:47 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Pippyrips can relate a story about these cameras, not him but his mate.

Take a chance and find out, but it will cost you.

BB is watching all the time.
Old 03 September 2009, 02:50 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

SPECS speed cameras explained, UK SPECS traffic cameras

As it says one gantry can watch 4 lanes at any one time.
Old 03 September 2009, 07:24 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrx287
Are these only front faceing cameras? How about running with no front plate on the motorway
Or get a bike
Old 03 September 2009, 07:29 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Personally I cant see the point in trying to evade cameras, its less stress just to stick to 50 as it could be expensive trying to prove a theory.

Just for some background info the accident rate has plummeted since the cameras we installed so you cant argue with that.
Old 04 September 2009, 08:50 AM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

I hear you Kev, just don't understand why they are there for saftey through the road works when the works are so far away from where they start..

Or have they got plans to make that stretch permenatly 50mph?
Old 04 September 2009, 08:56 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

I think the idea is to slow you down prior to the road works. This will prevent the bumper shunters piling in at 70 MPH +
Old 04 September 2009, 09:25 AM
dandruffe
Scooby Regular

ive heard there is a plan in the summer of 2010 before the ryder cup to put in full time variable speed limit signage along this stretch.... until that time we are stuck with the 50mph yes....
Old 04 September 2009, 10:23 AM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

wonder how many they are catching every day, came off at the Coldra yesterday evening and cars were flying along....learn the hard way I suppose.
Old 04 September 2009, 11:30 AM
nolegs
Scooby Regular

Hasn't it always been 50 mph for the stretch west bound between coldra and caerleon ?
Old 04 September 2009, 06:11 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dandruffe
ive heard there is a plan in the summer of 2010 before the ryder cup to put in full time variable speed limit signage along this stretch.... until that time we are stuck with the 50mph yes....

Not sure if the variable's will be installed by summer 2010 but yes they are on the way.
Old 04 September 2009, 06:12 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nolegs
Hasn't it always been 50 mph for the stretch west bound between coldra and caerleon ?

Just an advisory up until now.
Old 22 September 2009, 06:59 AM
jokevin2
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wrx287

We'll soon find out, prob just averaged 70-ish on my bike on the 20/09/2009. camera's looked front facing only but i'll be watching the post
Old 23 September 2009, 06:28 AM
mightyscoob
Scooby Regular

Any Idea's what the tolerance's are in error with your speedo's.

IE: do they allow a 5% or 10% error in over limit.

As some still motor along in the outside lane as it seems as I said before, its not covered.
Old 23 September 2009, 02:18 PM
morfo
Scooby Regular

There are small cameras (maybe for traffic monitoring) on the carriageway sign frames. They have a small circular lens that sits in a greyish rectangular box. There's one on the west bound exit slip way at the Coldra and at Caerleon.
Are the yellow cameras motorised?
I work in Magor so the 50 mile an hour limit is saving me some petrol.
Old 23 September 2009, 04:31 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 October 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 23 September 2009, 10:19 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

50mph would be alright at rush hour periods but not when the roads are quiet
Old 24 September 2009, 08:43 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
Ummmmm, Want a bet! Where did this 'statistic' come from fella? Over what time period as they have only just been put in.
From the organization that collects accident data, early indications are showing a huge drop in injury and non injury RTC's. FACT.

You could also ask the lads that were continually doing the safety fence repairs, lets just say there work load has plummeted.
Old 25 September 2009, 04:14 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Last edited by scrappydoo; 31 October 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 25 September 2009, 09:03 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Some people just don't want to know.

If you want to ignore the comments of someone doing a job on a subject/project you comment on then I am sure he will be quite knowledgeable.

Global warming is happening, our climate is changing and yes the last graph of weather for 50 years does show an increase, but industrial output as increased 10 fold, the world population as trebled and the amount of cows and cattle have increased increasing the mathane output.

Head in the sand is not going to stop the rot.
Old 25 September 2009, 09:17 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

ok so you are telling me that a drop of 20 mph due to the cameras has slowed fence repairs, i bet your mates are well happy about that. Surely the data is too early to assimilate with any sort of accuarate reliabilty. Let me show you guys what happens when statistics go wrong or when someone with an agenda uses them in the wrong way.

Take for instance 'global warming!!!!'. We have accurate weather records from all over the world from all sorts of sources etc which back each other up with pin point precision for the last 2-300 years maybe even more (cant remember). Now in that time the weather has gotten colder and hotter over 'block decades' resulting in a type of stock market graph if you will for the last few hundred years, (up-down, excluding todays climate excuse the pun lol). Some decades there have been freezes and others there have been droughts but its all been pretty normal and balanced. Now if someone with an agenda comes along...ahemm... global warming/carbon tax/green issues they can zero in on this graph for the last 50 years when the weather is getting warmer and its on its upward slant.They then freak everyone out mentioning how our planet is warming up due to bogus CO2 levels and thus begins the global pandemic of scare mongering, then they will be closer to getting the 'sheeple to accepting their carbon tax. However they have recently taken a step back as its quite obvious to the human race thats its not getting warmer at all hence their backtrack going from global 'WARMING' to climate 'CHANGE'.
(btw our planet actually produces more CO2 than any car or industry ever could or would and is in fact essential for our planets survival)

There are lots of cases like these and speeding is one of them. Id certainly like to see who is in charge of the accident data colaboration thats for sure. For example If I want to make a complaint against the police for something or another, the 'independant' police complaints commision seem to carry it out..yehh like id trust them to do anything too. Thats like investigating yourself which always leads to a good outcome
i agree 100% with this. and its what i have been saying for ages.

we get taken by this contry bent over and given everything they got. we listen to their lies and believe everything. its not about what is happening. its about what they want us to think happened.

however i have never heard of many crashes on that part of the motorway. not as many as i have seen and heard of everywhere else.

this country is run by idiots and we are taking it because no one has a back bone to do anything about it.

look at the fuel prices now. back over a year ago everyone put there foot down and stopped it. now everyone cant be bothered!

same as with speed cameras and all there other lies!
Old 25 September 2009, 04:35 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr_D

however i have never heard of many crashes on that part of the motorway. not as many as i have seen and heard of everywhere else.
Its not uncommon to have 2 or 3 RTC's a day on this section, I would consider that to be quite a lot.

ok so you are telling me that a drop of 20 mph due to the cameras has slowed fence repairs, i bet your mates are well happy about that. Surely the data is too early to assimilate with any sort of accuarate reliabilty. Let me show you guys what happens when statistics go wrong or when someone with an agenda uses them in the wrong way.
Yes I am and no they are not

I will agree that its early days yet but the facts are that since the cameras have been installed the accident rate has dropped significantly.

I'm not trying to defend the the cameras, just passing on a little information which may or may not be of interest.

I am not aware of any government conspiracy to massage accident rate figures in the Newport area, I think Mr Brown has more than enough to be going on with as it is

As for the global warming issue I drive a Subaru so I think enough said
Old 26 September 2009, 11:49 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

For all the detractors of the speed cameras in the Newport section of the M4 I have noticed having driven on it for everyday for the last two weeks that the traffic is flowing alot better.

The speed may have been lowered to 50mph but I would say that the traffic gets through quicker as there is not a massive difference between all the vehicles especially up Julians Bank.

It was not uncommon to see accidents due to cars pulling out from behind slower moving traffic into the middle/outside lanes and then of course all the traffic would then have to brake sharply causing the concertina effect which lead to traffic backing up.

Studies have shown that been lowering the speed limit or having variable speed limits means that the traffic flows better and quicker as there is no violent braking this stops / lessens the aforementioned concertina effect.

Once the concertina effect takes place it can cause accidents further back down the queue of traffic sometimes up to 2 to 3 miles.

traffic concertina effect - Google Search=

I not do believe that the traffic cameras are there for a money making exercise , they are there to cut the amount of accidents which bearing in mind a typical motorway shunt involving typically 5 vehicles can cost potentially tens of thousands to attend, close the motorway, clear the vehicles/debris off the carriageway, re-open and later repair the damage to the barriers if required.

In closing I can see the cameras saving lives and money, and if you are dull enough to speed through an area with pre-warning of the cameras it makes you wonder if you should be in charge of a vehicle to begin with.

Cue further arguments.
Old 26 September 2009, 12:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

I love educated, concise and accurate debate. Well done Ty and Kev

Quick Reply: Newport M4 speed camera's ???