Notices

M4 west bound

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2009, 08:47 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M4 west bound

Just after the coldra west bound noticed what seems to be a set of specs cameras gone up today just at the start of the 50mph limit...just to make any of u that use that stretch of m4 aware of this....
Old 30 July 2009, 09:00 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that Daz I have to be honest I've been sticking to 50 for a while now as it was only going to be a matter of time before they actively policed it this end.
Old 30 July 2009, 09:02 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep i'm afraid to say a permanent specs cameras system is going in as we speak, you will see a lot more cameras being erected over the next few weeks.

The traffic on the west bound was considerably slower today after the camera was erected over night.
Old 30 July 2009, 09:08 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

Cant see why...they say 50mph for saftey reasons,however theres no roadworks of any kind between the coldra and j26....the traffic is bad enuff goin from 3 lanes to 2 at the coldra,then back to 3 after,then back to 2 at j25 and back to 3 at j26..the traffic seems to stack up for no reason and a 50 limit just makes matters worse
Old 30 July 2009, 09:23 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz2000
Cant see why...they say 50mph for saftey reasons,however theres no roadworks of any kind between the coldra and j26....the traffic is bad enuff goin from 3 lanes to 2 at the coldra,then back to 3 after,then back to 2 at j25 and back to 3 at j26..the traffic seems to stack up for no reason and a 50 limit just makes matters worse
TBA that part of the route has a hell of a lot going on, its a lot for drivers to take in + at rush hour its a total rat race

Reducing the speed limit even without enforcement has reduced the amount of shunts in this section I can see the cameras having an even bigger impact.

Not everyone appreciates this but that section is well below motorway standard and an advisory 50 limit has been in play for years but know one ever took any notice of it.

I'm not defending the speed limit but just pointing out some of the reasons why. The problem is locals are so used to the section the reasons might seem a little odd as to its reasoning.Trust me I've stood in the centre res loads of times over the years and its a scary place to be

I for one will need to watch myself as i'm back and for this section 2/3 times a day
Old 30 July 2009, 09:29 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

Suppose for us locals,were used to the road and conditions etc....i myself have seen loads of shunts on there....possibly 3 or 4 this week just b4 the brow of the hill west bound...and in the bad rain yesterday u could hardly see a car in front of you...i was down to 40-50mph well b4 the coldra and people were passing me in the fast lane at well above 70mph...
Old 30 July 2009, 09:32 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

I always tell the family to stay off this section in the rain. its a mad mad mad world

Old 30 July 2009, 09:34 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

That section was supposed to have been relaid in a less spray tarmac afew years back...but i think the spray is worse in all honesty....
Old 30 July 2009, 09:38 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the heads up, i use both sides of that section of the m4 at least 3 times a week are they going to extend further?

Will this apply to both sides?
Old 30 July 2009, 09:43 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

Not sure...however its def on the west bound side....i'll let you guys now when i see new cams go up...
Old 30 July 2009, 09:44 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

That section was supposed to have been relaid in a less spray tarmac afew years back...but i think the spray is worse in all honesty....
The type of material used had more to do with noise reduction and its ability to be laid quickly TBH but one of its assets was a reduction in spray. As the pores filled with detritus though the drainage of the surfacing became less effective and now as you say its worse.
Water now hangs within the open texture hence poor drainage and an increase in spray.
Old 30 July 2009, 09:46 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the heads up, i use both sides of that section of the m4 at least 3 times a week are they going to extend further?

Will this apply to both sides?
Yes and yes.

Its in the construction phaze at the mo.
Old 30 July 2009, 09:48 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

While we are on road works has anyone tried the new "Hamburger" interchange at the Coldra yet?
Old 30 July 2009, 09:54 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

The one thru the centre??
Old 30 July 2009, 10:05 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

The one thru the centre??
Thats the one.
Old 30 July 2009, 10:07 PM
Daz2000
Scooby Regular

Not yet m8...usually just pass over the top....is it just for traffic off the 449 or other traffic too?
Old 30 July 2009, 10:08 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

It must be one of the worst sections of tarmac on a motorway I have ever come accross.... makes my teeth chatter

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 30 July 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 30 July 2009, 10:13 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Not yet m8...usually just pass over the top....is it just for traffic off the 449 or other traffic too?
Yep its for traffic heading west at the bottom of the 449.

Its quite cool I think but how long until some HGV tips over trying to beat the lights, the right hander is quite sharp.

Give it a go

Not the tipping over bit though
Old 30 July 2009, 10:18 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
It must be one of the worst sections of tarmac on a motorway I have ever come accross.... makes my teeth chatter

Thats an age related issue...........................

But fixable

Poligrip Denture Fixative Total Care Cream
Old 30 July 2009, 10:22 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Funny enough I'm waiting on a call for a bling bling crown
Old 30 July 2009, 10:28 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Funny enough I'm waiting on a call for a bling bling crown
Better to keep your savings close by thses days espically with low interest rates

Old 30 July 2009, 10:32 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Can I ask why the first set of camera's west bound are just before the coldra and looking down on the 70mph section not actually in the 50 mph section where they should be.
?
Old 30 July 2009, 10:53 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matscooby
Can I ask why the first set of camera's west bound are just before the coldra and looking down on the 70mph section not actually in the 50 mph section where they should be.
?

Look again
Old 30 July 2009, 10:57 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Don't tell me the 50mph has moved abit more, if it has ooop's....

I noticed abig difference this morning in everyone's speed, but as people got to tunnels and no more camera's were to be seen, quite afew went back to 70 +.

Should I be keeping my eye's peeled for afew more bright yellow blob's tomorrow ???
Old 30 July 2009, 11:27 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Does anyone find it funny that the goverment go on about congestion when it is them that is slowing everyone down which is making the matter worse and this is a fact.Driver education is the answer not cameras all over the place,the figures show they do not work.As we are taking about spray on the roads the councils are using a high content of recycled glass in road laying as it drains water away very quickly,at least its not going to land fill.
Old 31 July 2009, 07:19 AM
Ringer4fun
Scooby Regular

2 reasons for congestion on our motorways.

1. HGV`s restricted to 56mph, (good decision) but when they try overtaking each other it creates a rolling road block.

2. Middle lane drivers, (the law states you should always drive in the near side lane and only use the middle/outside lanes for overtaking manouvers only returning to the nearside as soon as safe to do so, so why is this not policed if they wish to increase flow and decrease congestion.

John
Old 31 July 2009, 09:41 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fixed speed cameras and average speed cameras at roadworks dont bother me at all to be honest. I find the average cameras keep things flowing quite well, and it always makes me giggle a little when the idiot in the BMW or Vectra usually brake for the camera and then gun it in between, dont you know what average means!!

Slightly off subject, but.

I would be happy if all speed hump areas were removed and replaced with average speed cameras too. I dont intend on gunning it past schools and through small streets but i still have to suffer the damage the humps cause, cameras would stop this!
Old 31 July 2009, 10:32 AM
THE DOCTOR
Scooby Regular

That whole stretch is going Average speed check.....simply because very few are obeying the speed limit (me included on that one I have to confess).

I did read somewhere, that average speed checks reply on you staying in the same lane throughout, and that changing lanes can stop you being picked up if you feel you may have gone a little over...but again, that's not a taken unless someone has deffo proof of this
Old 02 August 2009, 10:57 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsieboy
That whole stretch is going Average speed check.....simply because very few are obeying the speed limit (me included on that one I have to confess).

I did read somewhere, that average speed checks reply on you staying in the same lane throughout, and that changing lanes can stop you being picked up if you feel you may have gone a little over...but again, that's not a taken unless someone has deffo proof of this
That is almost right, but it doesnt matter if you change lanes, its the luck of the draw. Usually there are only 2 cameras at any point and 3 lanes, only 2 lanes are covered on the way in and on the way out, so if you are in an unmonitored lane on the way in you can drive as you wish, same applies if you are in the unmonitored lane on the way out. Trouble is there is no way of telling for sure which lanes are not covered so swaping lanes will reduce the risk of getting cault but you still wont know until time passes and you have or havnt got a ticket.

Just stick to 50 and gun it when you are out the other side to make up for it
Old 03 August 2009, 05:46 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

These specs scameras will be only in operation for 18 months or so until the new gantries are installed along with the new variable limit.

The cameras are not actually live at the moment but I'm not going to say when they are live just in case the date changes and someone is caught out.

Best to treat it as live right now across all lanes then you know your in the clear.

Quick Reply: M4 west bound