Notices

Local Detailer / Valeter Required

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2009, 08:26 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Car Is Plastered In Blobs Of White Paint

Some of you may know that I took my car up to North Wales back in June for a jaunt around the twin lakes / evo triangle, I have to say that the journey was worth while for a chance to drive on both of these roads.

But what I did not expect was to get my car absolutely plastered from front to back with wet road paint (no warning signs on any of the roads), there are small blobs of hardened paint all over the car.

I had previously attacked the said blobs with Meguiars Clay on the drivers side but it took me over 3 hours to do the front wing and door plus the rear door.

I hand washed the car this afternoon for the first time since the drive up to North Wales and I then found that the rear bumper, boot lid, rear spoiler, both sill covers plus all the passenger side is absolutely plastered with the bloody paint.

I know most of you will be thinking lazy sod but hand washing cars is not my favourite use of time and I am now going to get the job done professionally (removing the road paint that is), but where in the Swansea/Llanelli or Pontypridd/Cardiff areas should I take my car to?

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 12 July 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12 July 2009, 10:08 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I have had a quick look via Google and want to know if anyone has used Eclipse?

Eclipse Auto Valet, Mobile valeter in Swansea
Old 12 July 2009, 10:50 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Ty - I phoned these a while back and I think they were expensive, I opted for a local guy AP Mobile Car Valeting (just up the road from me) and he did a great job on my Hyundai, not a "full" valet, I think I had the outside of the car done - not sure what they would be like tackling your paint spots though. I'd assume they would have the stuff to do it.........
Old 12 July 2009, 11:08 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I have had a quick look via Google and want to know if anyone has used Eclipse?

Eclipse Auto Valet, Mobile valeter in Swansea
This guy is suppose to be pretty good... i got reccomended him by Envy Valeting.
Old 13 July 2009, 09:41 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I called in to meet this guy in Newport last week,

Ti22 Vehicle Services - Wales' only Swisswax authourised detailing studio

His name is James and he is a Swissvax registered detailer, worth a call and a chat Tyron to see what he thinks, very easy to find as well it is on the way in from the coldra.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 13 July 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 13 July 2009, 11:45 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

clydach market on a wed or sunday. proffesional valeting. using all megs stuff. very good service and quality of work is amazing
Old 13 July 2009, 04:30 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyrone,

Road marking paint is not exactly paint it's a thermoplastic melted to a very high temp for application, it also contains small glass beads so its very hard wearing and my be hard to remove safely. Let your detailer know what he is up against.

Kev

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2009, 04:45 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by top_fuel
This guy is suppose to be pretty good... i got reccomended him by Envy Valeting.
I am seeing him on Wednesday with the car, a couple of people outside scoobynet have recommended him so I will see what he says.

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
I called in to meet this guy in Newport last week,

Ti22 Vehicle Services - Wales' only Swisswax authourised detailing studio

His name is James and he is a Swissvax registered detailer, worth a call and a chat Tyron to see what he thinks, very easy to find as well it is on the way in from the coldra.
Thanks Simon but if I cannot get a result from Eclipse then he will be my next call.

Originally Posted by mr_D
clydach market on a wed or sunday. proffesional valeting. using all megs stuff. very good service and quality of work is amazing
If I cannot get a result from Eclipse or Ti22 then I will give him a try.
Old 13 July 2009, 04:47 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Have you tried Autosmart Tardis ? maybe worth a try.
Old 13 July 2009, 04:50 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KJD Mk1
Tyrone,

Road marking paint is not exactly paint it's a thermoplastic melted to a very high temp for application, it also contains small glass beads so its very hard wearing and my be hard to remove safely. Let your detailer know what he is up against.

Kev
Oh ***** well at least thermoplastic ***** anway , no wonder it took my over 3 hours to do 2 doors and a little of the front wing, I thought that is was bloody hard going.

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555
Ty - I phoned these a while back and I think they were expensive, I opted for a local guy AP Mobile Car Valeting (just up the road from me) and he did a great job on my Hyundai, not a "full" valet, I think I had the outside of the car done - not sure what they would be like tackling your paint spots though. I'd assume they would have the stuff to do it.........
I'll give him a try after speaking to Eclipse

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 13 July 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 13 July 2009, 06:54 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

How much would you want to pay to remove the rest of the paint? I know someone who may do it
Old 13 July 2009, 09:43 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Peter Richards will sort you out aka Eclipse. He has my personal recommendation
Old 13 July 2009, 10:19 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Ill do it for a tenner
Old 13 July 2009, 11:00 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim Bomford
Peter Richards will sort you out aka Eclipse. He has my personal recommendation

Originally Posted by Scudy23
Have you tried Autosmart Tardis ? maybe worth a try.
I have tried a similar Autoglym product and it did not even touch the bloody blobs of misery, thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by rsedwards
How much would you want to pay to remove the rest of the paint? I know someone who may do it
To be honest Rich to a certain level the cost is irrespective but Ryan has offered to do it for a tenner (or less if I haggle) , I think this is really a job for a professional or somebody with the proper equipment
Old 13 July 2009, 11:04 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryan33hks
Ill do it for a tenner
Ok then it will probably take you about 2 days of hard work with Meguiars Clay and then a good polish , this stuff is practically glued on.

Blinking Goggs I wish that they could have put warning signs out , I will in future take a 100 mile diversion just to avoid road works.
Old 14 July 2009, 11:13 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Tenner a blob i meant...
Old 15 July 2009, 01:50 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

To be honest Rich to a certain level the cost is irrespective but Ryan has offered to do it for a tenner (or less if I haggle) , I think this is really a job for a professional or somebody with the proper equipment
No worries. I wouldn't have minded doing the claying, but I wouldn't use the G220 for the first time on someone else's car!
Old 15 July 2009, 07:41 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsedwards
No worries. I wouldn't have minded doing the claying, but I wouldn't use the G220 for the first time on someone else's car!
Thanks for the offer Rich but when I saw Peter from Eclipse today he had to try a number of sprays in order to shift one blob of the infernal blobs and even then it was not a easy or quick process.

He also pointed out to me the large amount of swirls in the paintwork which has no doubt be caused by somebody in the past being a little careless with a machine polisher.

The car is going into him a week next Sunday, he will then keep the car for about 3 days and he will give the car a good seeing too : remove the infernal roadpaint , deswirl the paintwork , polish and wax (I will have to get the touch up paint out beforehand) , plus no doubt some other processes which I cannot remember.

When I have the car back the paintwork will be better than new and the car will be gleaming ready for the Carmarthenshire Modified Car Show.

Oh and he is going to valet the engine bay as well as Valley Commando and Glenn pointed out how dirty the engine bay is (my fault I have been meaning to remove the 'protective' wax coating that Subaru coat everything in).

It was also interesting the digital meter that he used to measure the thickness of the paint on the car - as it was all even it was reassuring to know that the car has never seen any accident repairs as well.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 14 August 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 15 July 2009, 10:04 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

How much roughly are you talking for that Ty? Really need mine de-swirled. Thinking of buying a machine and doing it myself.
Old 15 July 2009, 10:23 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
How much roughly are you talking for that Ty? Really need mine de-swirled. Thinking of buying a machine and doing it myself.
Calvin, with everything that is being done it is coming out at around £350 but it will take him about a day just to take care of the swirls, he did say that unless you take your time and use the machine properly you can cause more problems than you cure.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 14 August 2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Wrong price entered
Old 16 July 2009, 12:08 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good price for 3 days work
Old 17 July 2009, 11:10 AM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Calvin, with everything that is being done it is coming out at around £250 but it will take him about a day just to take care of the swirls, he did say that unless you take your time and use the machine properly you can cause more problems than you cure.
Very true but you need to be doing a tidy wash routine once its done otherwise the swirling will be back in no time.

Things to look at are 2 bucket method, change your drying towels, make sure your microfibres dont skag ( try them on an old cd )
Old 20 July 2009, 09:50 AM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Calvin, with everything that is being done it is coming out at around £250 but it will take him about a day just to take care of the swirls, he did say that unless you take your time and use the machine properly you can cause more problems than you cure.
I had my car detailed with peter just a view weeks ago, and he done a brilliant job.
Im off out a minuted but i can send you some photos if you want. Or post some in this thread later.
Old 20 July 2009, 10:10 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny5665
I had my car detailed with peter just a view weeks ago, and he done a brilliant job.
Im off out a minuted but i can send you some photos if you want. Or post some in this thread later.
Yes please if you don't mind posting them up.
Old 20 July 2009, 12:29 PM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Here are some before and afters. Look how well the wheels came up as well

Unfortunetly on the day of pick up it battered down so it was obviously overcast and dull. The car looks its best in the sunlight due to the fleck in the paint, so im going to wash it sometime this week with the stuff he reccomended me and i will take a photo in the sunlight (if we ever get any) and then i will either post it up on here or PM you it.

Look at the difference in the bonnet especially. Photots dont do it and his work justice. It looks superb with the sun shining on it

btw the car is a 2003 STI

Last edited by Jonny5665; 20 July 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 20 July 2009, 12:31 PM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Are they ok, or are they to small?

I can post up bigger ones if needed.

Last edited by Jonny5665; 20 July 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 22 July 2009, 10:35 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pics, Peter really knows his stuff and he was telling me he had a heck of a job with your wheels.

He has done an excellent job on your car and he certainly earns his money.

To be honest I really like gold wheels on an Impreza but as they get so dirty with brake dust that is what has persuaded me to have mine refurbed in Gunmetal, they are having 4 coats of lacquer plus I will treat them with Poorboys wheel sealant so no more minging brake dust problems. ( I hope )
Old 22 July 2009, 10:42 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

I can recommend Poorboys wheel sealant, makes cleaning the alloys alot easier. Make sure you put a few coats on though.
Old 22 July 2009, 11:32 PM
Jonny5665
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pics, Peter really knows his stuff and he was telling me he had a heck of a job with your wheels.

He has done an excellent job on your car and he certainly earns his money.

To be honest I really like gold wheels on an Impreza but as they get so dirty with brake dust that is what has persuaded me to have mine refurbed in Gunmetal, they are having 4 coats of lacquer plus I will treat them with Poorboys wheel sealant so no more minging brake dust problems. ( I hope )

To be honest I do like the gold wheels as well, but as you said the brake dust that get on them is shocking. He done an awsome job on the wheels and ive washed it regular since and the brake dust is starting to come back again.

Do you mind if i ask a couple of questions?

1. Do you think i should refurb mine but maybe in white due to the car being black
2. Where could i get this done?
3. THe chips on the front end of the car are shocking and ideally the front end needs a spray, do you know of someone local who would be able to do a good job for me?
Old 23 July 2009, 12:02 AM
RED2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny5665
To be honest I do like the gold wheels as well, but as you said the brake dust that get on them is shocking. He done an awsome job on the wheels and ive washed it regular since and the brake dust is starting to come back again.

Do you mind if i ask a couple of questions?

1. Do you think i should refurb mine but maybe in white due to the car being black
2. Where could i get this done?
3. THe chips on the front end of the car are shocking and ideally the front end needs a spray, do you know of someone local who would be able to do a good job for me?

mate if your moaning about cleaning gold wheels because of the brake dust forget doing them white anthracite or satin black would be my choice on a black car

Quick Reply: Local Detailer / Valeter Required